Team-BHP - Who/What is the most helpful person/thing on the highway?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Who/What is the most helpful person/thing on the highway? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/74005-who-what-most-helpful-person-thing-highway.html)

Hi folks,

Many of us have at sometime ( some most of the time) hit the highway on long (or short) drives. God knows India's highways are not exactly the best in terms of infrastructure. From missing signboards to non existing toilets, we have seen it all.

All is not lost on the indian highway scene tho. There exists a silver lining ( or many linings) in this bleak outlook. Calling all BHPians to tell us your poll on what or who is the most helpful thing on these bad lands called highways.

I would kick start this discussion by nominating the truck drivers on the highway. Yes, I know, they are the most abused by drivers in India ( only after Autowallas) but I have personally seen and been at the recieving end of their kindness and support, from helping with directions, to food reviews of the local Dhabas to breakdown recovery and repair assistance and not to forget their better than average driving skills and ettiquete, they have been a charm for me.

Your nominations guys

--Sid

Nice thread.But for me, I was on the receiving end due to a truck driver. For me a helpful person need not be a sign teller/ helping with road and food or hotel directions. My helpful person would be those guys who tend to help you when you meet with an accident. There will be people surrounding you. But that one guy who comes forward to help you and take you and your family to a nearest clinic for first aid is like a god and the most helpful person. Every person thinks in different ways about a helping person. But this is my perspective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishir_bn (Post 1693118)
Nice thread.But for me, I was on the receiving end due to a truck driver. For me a helpful person need not be a sign teller/ helping with road and food or hotel directions. My helpful person would be those guys who tend to help you when you meet with an accident. There will be people surrounding you. But that one guy who comes forward to help you and take you and your family to a nearest clinic for first aid is like a god and the most helpful person. Every person thinks in different ways about a helping person. But this is my perspective.

Agreed, but I guess there are all types, so you root for the good samaritan on the road? I feel even getting directions, esp at night in the "badlands" on India, can be a life saver.

riding in the night with family itself is a big risk and at that point of time if you are lost and get someone on the road then it is equal to life saving.

Depends:
1) Have a flat? the nearest puncture wallah
2) Needle pointing towards an empty tank -> Petrol Bunk.
3) Need a Bio break - A dhaba/petrol bunk with decent toilet facilities.
4) Hungry kya ? - A decent restaurant.
5) In the night, a decent driver to tailgate behind. etc etc.

When I first started thinking about the most helpfull thing the first thing came in my mind was my music system with my collection of old Hindi songs.

Songs I would say help me concentrate and keep me fresh during a long drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha141 (Post 1693087)
...the truck drivers on the highway.

Very interesting thread, Sid. If you ask for the most helpful group of persons on the highway, my vote goes to the long-distance truckies on our highways. I emphasise long-distance, because they are a totally different breed from the local truck drivers who run distances of less than 200-300 km on each trip. I am voting for the truck drivers who cover over 1000 km each trip, live in their trucks and at the dhabas that dot our highways, and cannot afford to make mistakes.

As to the most helpful thing, I would probably nominate the white lane marking lines that are practically non-existent on our highways. The newer highways have them in a limited number of places. Why do I nominate them? Because the flavour of the day in north India nowadays is fog, and they are the greatest boon on highways when driving in fog. I wish someone in the government would wake up and make them a standard feature on all highways, or at least in the northern half of the country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 1693255)
Very interesting thread, Sid. If you ask for the most helpful group of persons on the highway, my vote goes to the long-distance truckies on our highways.....

As to the most helpful thing, I would probably nominate the white lane marking lines that are practically non-existent on our highways. ..... I wish someone in the government would wake up and make them a standard feature on all highways, or at least in the northern half of the country.

Excellent choice. As for the Govt, if wishes were horses...

Quote:

Originally Posted by deky (Post 1693248)
When I first started thinking about the most helpfull thing the first thing came in my mind was my music system with my collection of old Hindi songs.

Hmm. Never really thought of that, very original deky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deky (Post 1693248)

'I' would not recommend it on the highways for longer than 20 minutes.
For 'me' it is a distraction and I want to listen to a few noise sources in the car to know everything is fine. E.g. Tyre noise etc.

The most helpful people on road are the local people

They help in directions, act as a guide to the nearest petrol bunk, eating joint or anything you need and most of them dont expect anything in return.

I would vote long distance truckers and the Highway Road markings in the two categories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 1693271)
'I' would not recommend it on the highways for longer than 20 minutes.
For 'me' it is a distraction and I want to listen to a few noise sources in the car to know everything is fine. E.g. Tyre noise etc.

I know what you mean ( thats why I mentioned old hindi songs) so its never that loud, infact I hum louder than the music sound lol:, hence its not a distraction.

Thanks for the concern anyway!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha141 (Post 1693087)
Your nominations guys

GPS Navigator :rules:

And yes, it also helps you in case of an accident, partially. You atleast know where the nearest police station/hospital is, incase of an emergency.

Most helpful people on the road wait for it........ are the cops!! I know what you think of Khaki uniform but if you ask politely they do help. I had an incident when our car broke down in J&K and we decided to walk the rest of the journey. Cops asked where are we from and stopped a bus to take us to the destination..although they were MPs(Militery Police)

Long distance truckies anyday!

If not for them, I would've missed riding through Srinagar and kashmir, but returned from Ladakh through Manali only!!