Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 13:54   #151
BANNED

Funny thing happened when we were passing by this road..!

While we stopped to check the height of the elevation from top, saw a cop standing there. Approached him and asked why he was standing in the middle of the sun, with no junction/traffic light. lol.. guess what!

He said he was guarding the flower pots kept there, seems in the past couple of days, people were flicking off the flower pot. So untill the Toll is started, he will be there to guard the FLOWER POTS

@Night, this has become some kinda boozing spot. Saw few Zen/800 parked in the left lane, and beer bottle on the hood. My dad used to say "great people study even below the street lights" when I was young and complained of power cuts while studying... Time to bring Dad and show him the Generation NEXT..!!
Old 28th January 2010, 14:02   #152
BHPian

encounter of the stupid kind on the X-press way!

hi guys,

have to share this...was on my way to work entered the x-press way via silkboard and after about 45 sec, enjoying the drive come behind a guy riding a gearless scooter (could not identify the make) with an Big L board, riding on the extreme right hand side of the road at about 35kms/hr.

i politely honked so that he can see me in his rearview mirror and move on the left.but no respose..second, third honk..still no respose..then i kept the horn pressed for a good 10-15 sec and then he moved on the left giving me side to overtake him.

As i passed him, wanted to educate him, and told him that if you are riding a two wheeler at low speeds you need to be on the left side of the road, and his answer to that was "where is it written"? I told him that common sense cannot be written and given to you and then he kindof stopped waiting to pick a fight with me but i had better things to do like reach office and did not want to stop on the x-press way, so i just ignored him.

The guy looked like a IT guy with laptop and all jazz, but the question that he asked was very very naive. When will people learn to accept their mistakes? and was i right in educating him or i would have just ignored him and left him the way he was-wrong?
Old 28th January 2010, 14:16   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
You know the surface is good if the road noise reduces and when you have a tough time maintaining the speed limit of 80km/hr.

80km/hr feels like 50ish as there is no road noise whatsoever.
Very true, even I had a tough time maintaining the speed limit of 80. And 80 felt like 40-50.

My eyes were concentrating more one the speedometer than on the road.

Those who found the expressway surface uneven should try the silk board flyover. You can count the number of surfaces joint together by counting the number of thuds you get.

Rohan
Old 28th January 2010, 16:45   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRyder View Post
...was i right in educating him or i would have just ignored him and left him the way he was-wrong?

Nothing right or wrong about it, just that you would have been the n'th guy trying in vain to help others understand their safety!! Someday he is marked for a nasty accident the way others are speeding on the right lane, it would be his fate, cant help it!!

PS Thx - I will watch out for the special L 2wheeler on the BETL
Old 28th January 2010, 21:14   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
PS Thx - I will watch out for the special L 2wheeler on the BETL
All the best, those types are best found on the x-treme right side of BETL..
Old 28th January 2010, 21:57   #156
BHPian

See this page http://blrelevated.co.in/toll_rates_and_schemes.html
This chart is for the toll rates, now see the second column, which says for multiple trips in consecutive 24 hrs period. what does that means? If I take a 45 rupee pass can I use the flyover for more than 2 times(1 up/ 1 down)?
Old 29th January 2010, 11:19   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRyder View Post
All the best, those types are best found on the x-treme right side of BETL..
I had a similar experience with a TVS Star (?), He was on the right lane moving at around 55 KM. When honked he slowed down further to irritate me!!. What to do???

I have no issue with the speed, but when there is a rule that two wheelers are not allowed in the right lane, better follow it.

"THERE ARE SO MANY IDIOTS ON THE ROAD"
Old 29th January 2010, 12:50   #158
Senior - BHPian

Drive non-stop on new expressway
Times of India news today:

Hi-Tech Payment To Help Regular Users

A T Subrahmanya | TNN

Bangalore: If you are a frequent traveller to Electronic City, you wont have to stop to pay toll at the plazas every time you use the new Hosur Road expressway. All you have to do is mount the on board unit (OBU) on the windshield of your car, and the amount will be deducted electronically at the booth.
To facilitate non-stop passage , Bangalore Elevated Tollway Ltd (BETL), the consortium looking after construction and maintanance of the plazas, has arranged for electronic toll collection in dedicated lanes.

GET AN OBU NOW

Regular and frequent cars, light commercial vehicles and mini buses will be issued a monthly pass. To get the OBU, users have to submit an application form to BETL, which will then provide the unit on payment of a refundable security deposit of Rs 1,000.
The OBUs will be issued and valid for a particular section , and will be vehicle-specific . It should be mounted on the inner side of the windshield in front of the driver. As the vehicle passes towards the dedicated lane, the OBU will be read by an overhead transducer and if valid, the exit barrier will automatically open. There will be two such dedicated lanes.
Each lane can allow for passage of 900 vehicles per hour. The third lane will be used for smart card holders and cash payments; the fourth will be exclusively for twowheelers , an official said.

HOW IT WORKS

The smart card will act like a debit card where the motorist has to hold it in front of a reader and the amount will be deducted.
Right now, hardware and software testing are on. BETL officials said an independent consultant will test the system before NHAI officials notify the tolls. The process is expected to take two weeks.

PAY WITHOUT STOPPING

Bangalore Elevated Tollway Ltd has arranged for electronic toll collection in dedicated lanes On board unit will be provided on payment of a refundable security deposit of Rs 1,000 It will be valid for a particular section and will be vehiclespecific It should be mounted on the inner side of the windshield in front of the driver The motorist has to hold the smart card it in front of a reader and the amount will be deducted

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
See this page Toll Rates and Schemes
This chart is for the toll rates, now see the second column, which says for multiple trips in consecutive 24 hrs period. what does that means? If I take a 45 rupee pass can I use the flyover for more than 2 times(1 up/ 1 down)?
I believe, the flyover can be used n number of times within 24 hrs, if one pay for Multiple trip.

Last edited by Dippy : 29th January 2010 at 14:54. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the edit function if posting within 20 minutes of your earlier post.
Old 29th January 2010, 13:47   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I have no issue with the speed, but when there is a rule that two wheelers are not allowed in the right lane, better follow it.

question: Is there a rule saying that 2 wheelers cannot drive in the fast lane(assuming that the lane speed rule is being followed)?

Regards,
Old 29th January 2010, 14:43   #160
Senior - BHPian

I think yes, it was published in all major news papers that two wheelers and trucks are not allowed in the fast lane(right).

The main issue here is when two wheelers comes to your lane without signal or cut from left. On elevated way we do not have space on either left or right to do some adjustment as we do it on road below.

Last edited by Latheesh : 29th January 2010 at 14:44.
Old 29th January 2010, 14:51   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
question: Is there a rule saying that 2 wheelers cannot drive in the fast lane(assuming that the lane speed rule is being followed)?

Regards,
2 wheelers are allowed on the fast lane provided they are driving fast and not at 20kmph and blocking everyone behind them which usually is the case on BETL.
Old 29th January 2010, 16:26   #162
BHPian

And, soon we will hear umpteen stories that the smart-card was charged twice on the same day !
Old 29th January 2010, 19:21   #163
BHPian

800 crore spent for 9km highway is too much.

A 6 lane highway on ground with over bridges / underpasses at the 6 junctions would have been much more economical and practical.

Unless all our road users learn lane discipline or until the authorities strictly imposes it, none of our roads will be "express" ways.

I drove through the elevated highway few times and could see autos, bikes and fully loaded trucks going at 30 kmph occupying fast lane. Also some 'ignorant' drivers will not give way through right even if you honk or flash the headlights. Instead they expect the approaching vehicle to change lane and overtake through left.
Old 29th January 2010, 21:57   #164
BHPian

Today I came face to face with an overloaded Omni with full family(about 10-12 members, was not sure about total) driving at 50kmph on right lane near Sasken Building on the elevated way, I decided not to take left and started honking as I had some free time to do some masty. So it started from Sasken building and the super hero gave me the lane when we crossed Hosa road junction, and after giving me space he pressed the pedal to come arround 70sh, and asked me if I had eye-sight problem, I asked why and he said the whole of left lane was empty then why I was honking for 5 mins!!!!!!!!
Old 29th January 2010, 22:03   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Today I came face to face with an overloaded Omni with full family(about 10-12 members, was not sure about total) driving at 50kmph on right lane near Sasken Building on the elevated way, I decided not to take left and started honking as I had some free time to do some masty. So it started from Sasken building and the super hero gave me the lane when we crossed Hosa road junction, and after giving me space he pressed the pedal to come arround 70sh, and asked me if I had eye-sight problem, I asked why and he said the whole of left lane was empty then why I was honking for 5 mins!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the club asdon...just count how many time you would face this situation..mine must be almost 25 and counting!

Most Viewed