Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 10:58   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
It takes only 5 minutes to travel 9 kms, but one has to wait for another 10-15 minutes at the toll gates during peak hours. It really defeats the whole purpose.
Does it really make sense to use BETL during off peak hours? Last weekend, I took BETL at 4AM and 10PM as I was not sure how the traffic will be on the road below.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:39   #392
Senior - BHPian

Considering the delay at toll both, I feel, its better to take the road below off peak hours.
Also I noted that very few vehicles take the elevated road in the late night/early morning
Old 9th June 2010, 10:58   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Again, 2-wheelers don't have to pay any toll if they enter/exit at Attibele toll booth, whereas 2-wheelers have to pay toll if they enter/exit at Electronics City toll booth. Talk about double standards.
I don't see a problem Rohan; Attibele is part of highway (long distance) & IIRC, none of the highway toll booth charges two-wheelers. While the elevated express highway should be state initiative & for the short distance & huge investment they've to recover the money faster & hence collect money from every possible vehicle. What's your opinion?

Last edited by aargee : 9th June 2010 at 10:59.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:53   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I don't see a problem Rohan; Attibele is part of highway (long distance) & IIRC, none of the highway toll booth charges two-wheelers. While the elevated express highway should be state initiative & for the short distance & huge investment they've to recover the money faster & hence collect money from every possible vehicle. What's your opinion?
Well my personal opinion is that 2-wheelers should not be allowed on the elevated expressway for their own safety, since the expressway is very narrow and there is no dedicated lane for them. Driving a 2-wheeler on the elevated expressway is very risky, especially in peak traffic.

The elevated expressway is a public-private-partnership initiative. So the normal highway rules don't strictly apply here.

A 2-wheeler is benefiting from using the expressway, whether he exits at Attibele or Electronics city. Hence I feel that the fair thing would be to collect the same toll at both the toll booths.

If someone highway user doesn't want to pay the toll, he can always use the toll free road below.

Rohan
Old 9th June 2010, 17:13   #395
BHPian

Well I have been travelling on this tollway now for more than a month regularly, as I've to drop and pick my wife from EC. Initially it was pain to wait in the cash queue, so now I switched to monthly pass. Now what a breeze it is to drive there, and no waiting at all, 2-3 toll gates are always empty for pass holders.
But it's completely illogical on their behalf to leave 2 gates for monthly pass users and just 1 for the cash users. Should be otherwise though, only 1 gate enough for pass users and rest for cash.
Old 18th June 2010, 16:34   #396
Senior - BHPian

Infosys buses on the Elevated Expressway are a real nuisance. They always travel in big convoys, which makes it very difficult to overtake them.

Sometimes they overtake each other, hogging up both lanes in the process.

Sometimes they change lanes dangerously without any indication.

Any idea, to whom should we complain regarding these recklessly driven Infosys buses on the Elevated Expressway ?

Rohan
Old 18th June 2010, 20:27   #397
BHPian

Moreover they are BMTC buses on Infosys duty, so even police won't touch them!
Old 19th June 2010, 08:24   #398
Senior - BHPian

a week or so back when i was returning from EC, i saw four United Travels buses racing each other on the BETL. they were occupying both lanes and i almost got run over by one trying to overtake the other!

not sure these were running for Wipro or Infosys!
Old 20th June 2010, 21:30   #399
BHPian

United Travels run for Wipro. Worst drivers. Infy buses are either the blue/white ones or BMTC buses. They are actually far better than most buses.
Old 21st June 2010, 09:29   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
United Travels run for Wipro. Worst drivers. Infy buses are either the blue/white ones or BMTC buses. They are actually far better than most buses.
Even I have seen Wipro Buses run badly and Wipro Transport does'nt seem to care for it. I got a mail some time back where one Infy person's vehicle was hit by a Wipro bus. On contacting the Wipro officials for this he was told that Wipro cannot help in this matter and the person needs to fight it out with the transporter. Would have really liked it if Wipro would have taken up the matter with the transporter, thats the least I expect from the big so called, responsible organizations.
Old 21st June 2010, 09:40   #401
BHPian

I really doubt the use of the toll road even in pick hours if you are comming to Electronic City, I have tried using the service road to cross Bomanhalli signal and then found that the original Hosur rd is not that bad to use, I reached my office in phase-1 in 15 mins, from Bomanhalli. Sometimes I use the connecting road from HSR layout to Bomanhalli to avoid silkboard which also serves the purpose.
Old 21st June 2010, 09:43   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Does it really make sense to use BETL during off peak hours?
IMO, it's equally important (if not more) to use the BETL in off-peak hours, considering the chances of pedestrians, autos, two-wheelers crossing the road suddenly from the junctions like Kudlu gate, Hosa road, etc.
During off-peak hours they won't be very watchful and it may be risky to drive.
During peak hours there will be more traffic and everyone will be watchful.
Old 1st July 2010, 15:16   #403
BHPian

The tollway should have been little wider - atleast 2-3 feet on either side for two-wheelers. Now half of the left lane is occupied by two-wheelers.
It's almost impossible for four-wheelers to stick to a single lane - in peak hours.
Old 13th July 2010, 18:52   #404
Senior - BHPian

Heard that they have increased the toll by Rs.5/-. Is that so?

The other day I had to go up till Manipal County and so I had to take the road below. This was at 9.30 PM. There was a big traffic jam near Bommanhalli. Almost 95% of all vehicles didn't take the elevated highway. On enquiring I found found that they had increased the toll by Rs.5/-.

Bommanhalli junction is still a big mess. :(
Old 13th July 2010, 19:01   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Yes, it is now 50 INR for a daily pass and also:
The daily pass is now valid for the same calendar day on which it was issued and can be used till 23-59 Hrs only.
So all those tricks of using the multiple trip pass for 3 journeys smartly wont work now.

Somehow I feel that the BETL authorities have been trying all tricks to ensure that the motorists are forced to apply for OBUs!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks