Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2011, 15:39   #556
BHPian

re: Bangalore Elevated Tollway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Guys, what's this 'Elevated section' and 'Grade section'?

I browsed thro their website and couldn't understand. If I wanna go to Wipro, Electronics City which one should I apply for??
you can use the "Elevated Section" which goes to electronics city. the other one goes to Hosur side.
Old 30th August 2011, 11:03   #557
Senior - BHPian

Why only one OBU lane operational ?

For the last few days, I have noticed that only 1 OBU lane is operational at the Electronics City enterance toll booth in the mornings. This OBU lane has to be shared by Infosys buses, Tempo Travellers, Taveras and private cars.

Hence there is a huge pile up of vehicles even in the OBU lane and OBU users have to wait almost as much as daily pass users. This defeats the whole purpose of purchasing the OBU.

On one hand, BETL is encouraging commuters to go for OBU by slashing the prices. But on the other hand, they are causing unnecessary time wastage and inconvenience to OBU users by reducing the number of OBU lanes.

Reasons given by toll booth attendants vary from "failure of sensors" to "orders by senior management".

A bunch of lazy, irresponsible and sadist morons - these BETL fellows.

I have written a feedback on their website, but I'm sure no action would be taken.

Rohan
Old 30th August 2011, 11:40   #558
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Guys,

Agree with @rohan_iitr. Here is the contact for BET.

Customer Care
Ranjit Ponnappa 8970050954, 080-28520758 Extn 11, Surya 080-28520758 during working hours. E mail bdm.ranjit@blrelevated.co.in

I talked to Ranjit Ponnappa and he agreed with our concern. However it was management decision to allow only one lane as it can support 1,000 vehicle per hour. He requested a formal mail so that he can take it up with his management.

I would request all user to formal give feedback to Ranjit, on his e-mail bdm.ranjit@blrelevated.co.in and I am sure he would help to resolve this issue.
Old 30th August 2011, 11:43   #559
Senior - BHPian

yesterday when i went through the toll gate two OBU lanes were operational. this morning i saw only one was operational.
Old 30th August 2011, 11:51   #560
Senior - BHPian

@manjubp - Could you elaborate what is the bottleneck in the system ?

Which is the component that supports maximum 1000 vehicles per hour ?

Is it the OBU sensor installed on the toll gate, or the BETL's billing software ?

And how come this restriction is being implement now ? Earlier 2 OBU lanes were operating in parallel without any problem. What happened suddenly ?

Rohan
Old 30th August 2011, 14:32   #561
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@rohan_iitr, I am not sure about this. This was as informed by Ranjit. In mean time I had formally sent out a e-mail as a user and I did get back the response in 2 hrs.
Here is the same.

-----Original Message-----
From: bdm.ranjit@blrelevated.co.in [mailto:bdm.ranjit@blrelevated.co.in]
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:18 PM
To: < ----- >
Subject: Re: Number of OBU Lanes :

Dear Manju,

Thank you for the valuable feedback.

I have already discussed this issue with Top Management and we have worked out a solution for the same.The same will be implemented in couple of days.

There will be two OBU lanes in the peak hours to avoid the inconvenience.
During the off peak hours there will be one OBU lane.

Regards,

Ranjit Ponappa
Manager -Business Development
BETL
Bangalore
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 09:30   #562
Senior - BHPian

Looks like our efforts have paid off.

I am happy to report that 2 OBU lanes were operational this morning for entry to Electronics City.

So the whole cock-and-bull story of 1000 vehicles per hour, narrated by BETL, seems like a lame excuse to cover their laziness.

Rohan
Old 5th September 2011, 11:57   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Looks like our efforts have paid off.

I am happy to report that 2 OBU lanes were operational this morning for entry to Electronics City.

So the whole cock-and-bull story of 1000 vehicles per hour, narrated by BETL, seems like a lame excuse to cover their laziness.

Rohan
umm.. i think they operate two lanes during peak hours and one lane off peak hours. i'll check on my way back home.
Old 5th September 2011, 13:39   #564
BHPian

Just got an OBU for my car.
Does BETL consider 0800-0830 as peak hour or what?
Old 5th September 2011, 14:45   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
umm.. i think they operate two lanes during peak hours and one lane off peak hours. i'll check on my way back home.
Number of lanes operational in off-peak hours does not matter that much. But BETL should ensure 2 working OBU lanes in peak hours.

My suggestion would be to have 2 dedicated OBU lanes for entry to E-city from morning to noon. After noon, they may offer 2 dedicated OBU lanes for exit from E-city. The logic being - if someone is coming to office after noon or leaving before noon, he deserves to be punished.

Quote:
Just got an OBU for my car. Does BETL consider 0800-0830 as peak hour or what?
I reached E-city between 0800 and 0830 this morning and found 2 OBU lanes operational for entry to E-city. So I think it can be concluded that BETL considers this time as peak hours.

Rohan
Old 8th September 2011, 16:05   #566
BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion would be to have 2 dedicated OBU lanes for entry to E-city from morning to noon. After noon, they may offer 2 dedicated OBU lanes for exit from E-city.
They are doing it nowadays. The middle two lanes are changed to either directions in morning and afternoon.
Old 8th September 2011, 16:52   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are doing it nowadays. The middle two lanes are changed to either directions in morning and afternoon.
Yes, that is the intended purpose of the middle lane.

But somehow the BETL staff at the toll booth were not operating the lanes in the proper manner.

Glad that it has been rectified. Lets hope it stays this way.

Rohan
Old 12th September 2011, 21:56   #568
Senior - BHPian

are three-wheelers allowed on the BETL? saw this Ape on the BETL this morning travelling at about 30kmph on the fast lane!

Bangalore Elevated Tollway-_mg_1865.jpg
Old 13th September 2011, 09:12   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
are three-wheelers allowed on the BETL? saw this Ape on the BETL this morning travelling at about 30kmph on the fast lane!
Technically, 3-wheelers are not allowed on the expressway. But I see them once in a while - tempos and even auto rickshaws.

BETL should put some prominent road signs at the entry point (Bommanahalli) which clearly indicate that 3-wheelers are not allowed.

On a related note, what about trucks ? Are trucks allowed on the expressway ? I see them once in a while.

Rohan
Old 13th September 2011, 09:35   #570
BHPian

Quote:
The board before BETL start is not big enough for newcomers to notice. That's the problem. Once my colleague from Pune took an auto to ECity and even the driver didn't know about this. But they were let go by the toll gate people after a warning!!

Quote:
On a related note, what about trucks ? Are trucks allowed on the expressway ? I see them once in a while.
The signboard doesn't say anything about trucks.

Most Viewed