Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2015, 10:16   #751

Re: Bangalore Elevated Tollway

Take a look at this video of a Maruti Omni trying to reach his top speed on the elevated highway.
At 1:00, he almost hits a tractor and a worker on the road. He then goes on to almost rear-end an Innova at 3:30

ManojVM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 10:45   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quick questions folks: can I get a balance based pass for motorcycles? What documents do I need? Do I get the same kind of RFID? In that case, is it waterproof?

THe other question is about the question they ask in teh form (got the RFID for my cars) - "both BETL & Attibele or only one" . Does it matter? They didnt seem to accept OBUs at Attibele earlier. Will the new RFIDs work there?

Final Q: is this the RFID the same as NEXTAG? Or will I be reduced to peering thru the gaps in the forest of RFIDs for each toll?

THanks in advance for the answers.
Old 16th April 2015, 11:38   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Quick questions folks..

THanks in advance for the answers.
Quote:
can I get a balance based pass for motorcycles?
not sure, you'll need to ask the folks at the toll or at the BETL office. i'm thinking of getting for my bike (when it arrives), so do let me know if you find answer to this.

Quote:
What documents do I need?
if allowed, you'll need to submit ID proof, address proof and vehicle RC book copy (but they most probably will take only the RC book copy).

Quote:
Do I get the same kind of RFID? In that case, is it waterproof?
think so, they don't have a separate one for bikes (not yet at least). since these RFIDs are stuck inside the car, don't think they would have made it waterproof. if you've a windshield on your bike, you could try sticking it from the rider side.

Quote:
THe other question is about the question they ask in teh form (got the RFID for my cars) - "both BETL & Attibele or only one" . Does it matter? They didnt seem to accept OBUs at Attibele earlier. Will the new RFIDs work there?
go for BOTH. RFID doesn't work at Attibele right now, but when the system is put in place, your RFID should be valid both sides.

Quote:
Final Q: is this the RFID the same as NEXTAG? Or will I be reduced to peering thru the gaps in the forest of RFIDs for each toll?
not sure mate. as of now i think these work only in the BETL tolls.
Old 16th April 2015, 11:42   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
go for BOTH. RFID doesn't work at Attibele right now, but when the system is put in place, your RFID should be valid both sides.
If they ask this question, that means that it is the FastTag which is getting rolled out . Attibele toll is not actually connected with elevated highway, but it is part of the other NHAI managed tolled highways .
Old 19th April 2015, 07:41   #755
Distinguished - BHPian

Noticed FASTTAG lanes in most of the tolls on the Bangalore Madurai stretch. If it is a pan India tag, will definitely invest in one as I detest waiting at tolls!
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 09:57   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Noticed FASTTAG lanes in most of the tolls on the Bangalore Madurai stretch. If it is a pan India tag, will definitely invest in one as I detest waiting at tolls!
It is planned to be rolled out all across India.
Old 20th April 2015, 10:07   #757
Team-BHP Support

This new RFID thing is leading to a lot of confusion at the Phase 2 exit.

For one the machine seems to work very close to the boom barrier which means car needs to be at a standstill or really slow. Cars behind don't maintain gap and come too close as a result the system doesn't detect. No choice but to reverse.

Then there's a new issue with the cash lane in Phase 2 piled up and our usual habit of seeing an empty lane for RFID which guys try to get in and argue with toll officer to adjust and allow. The new system doesn't allow this adjust so they ask the errant car to back up and go in cash lane. This results in pile up of the OBU/RFID lane also!!

Last week I ended up waiting 5-6 mins for cars to back up and then nobody let them join the cash lane in between. Had no choice but to observe the stupidity.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:36   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This new RFID thing is leading to a lot of confusion at the Phase 2 exit.

For one the machine seems to work very close to the boom barrier which means car needs to be at a standstill or really slow. Cars behind don't maintain gap and come too close as a result the system doesn't detect. No choice but to reverse.

Then there's a new issue with the cash lane in Phase 2 piled up and our usual habit of seeing an empty lane for RFID which guys try to get in and argue with toll officer to adjust and allow. The new system doesn't allow this adjust so they ask the errant car to back up and go in cash lane. This results in pile up of the OBU/RFID lane also!!

Last week I ended up waiting 5-6 mins for cars to back up and then nobody let them join the cash lane in between. Had no choice but to observe the stupidity.
Yes, I have been facing the same issue frequently. These days there are some 3-4 guys who don't seem to have received any training on what they are expected to do. They stop each car and manually check for tag and instruct the driver to either proceed to the RFID Lane or switch back to the manual lane. The whole purpose of RFID and automated lanes is lost with so much of manual intervention . Is there a way to raise a complaint about this?
Old 21st May 2015, 15:09   #759
BHPian

Absolute Chaos every morning at the tollway in Phase 1 exit. Now they form three lanes for the paid traffic everyday. Result, the guys who have RFID suffer and they also have to stand in the ques to cross the bottle neck. Wondering where on earth I can report this foolish management of traffic
evilshantanu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 19:01   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Absolute Chaos every morning at the tollway in Phase 1 exit. Now they form three lanes for the paid traffic everyday. Result, the guys who have RFID suffer and they also have to stand in the ques to cross the bottle neck. Wondering where on earth I can report this foolish management of traffic
There is a feedback link on the BETL website.

Whenever I gave feedback, I have observed that things improve for a few days. After that, the toll booth operators go back to their old ways.

If all of us keep giving feedback from time to time, we can hope for some improvement.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 12:02   #761
Senior - BHPian

There was a huge traffic jam on the elevated road this morning. We were stuck for almost 30 minutes.

There was a banged up Ford Figo, which was possibly rear ended. But that was not the cause of the traffic jam.

The jam is actually caused by all motorists who take their sweet time to examine the remains of the accident and try to analyse how the accident would have happened, while blocking all traffic coming from behind.

I sincerely request everyone to either stop safely on the side and offer help to the accident victims/BETL staff, or move away swiftly from the accident spot to avoid traffic build up.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:05   #762
BHPian

Here is the feedback I sent today:

Quote:
As a regular user of BETL with the RFID, I see this everyday:

1. Cars that dont have the RFID tag coming into the RFID lane with the connivance of the staff, there is no way anyone can quickly check the paper pass and say it is valid. This happens with the taxi drivers and similar who seem to have some understanding with the staff - if this is checked a lot of revenue leakage will also stop.

One lane can be devoted to checking the paper slips, this will make it faster for daily pass holders.

Why is the staff allowing vehicles without RFID tag into the RFID lane? This creates delays for the legitimate commuters and a hazard as the barrier actually opens for the tag holder and the non-tag holder slips through just in time for it to close on the tagged car.

Hope these issues will be taken care of soon.

Thanks
Since we have a big group of us TBHPians using BETL, I hope we can put some sort of pressure as a group on BETL to improve things.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 22:13   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Here is the feedback I sent today:

Since we have a big group of us TBHPians using BETL, I hope we can put some sort of pressure as a group on BETL to improve things.
+1 to that
I have also seen that Cab drivers deliberately enter the RFID lane and then pretend they did not know.
The toll guys are also to blame because of the "Chalta hai attitude" They just issue a regular toll ticket to them and send them on their way.

I dropped an email requesting them to start fining car's that enter the RFID lane without an RFID tag. Maybe a min Rs 200/- fine.

Hope the others support this initiative by mailing the authorities.

Request the others on the forum to complain to the authorities about this using the Feedback link below.

http://www.blrelevated.co.in/feedback.html

Last edited by Fillmore : 6th July 2015 at 22:20.
Old 22nd August 2015, 00:36   #764
JD1
BHPian

How is the traffic on BETL (south bound) on Saturday mornings (approx 10am)? I will be traveling South next Saturday and can't decide whether to use the elevated road and spend time at toll booth or take the road below (my priority is saving time so if BETL is going to be free then I don't mind the toll).
Old 22nd August 2015, 08:57   #765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
How is the traffic on BETL (south bound) on Saturday mornings (approx 10am)? I will be traveling South next Saturday and can't decide whether to use the elevated road and spend time at toll booth or take the road below (my priority is saving time so if BETL is going to be free then I don't mind the toll).
BETL Is still a wiser option at 10am on a Saturday. Down below you have 4 signals to cross which will take more time (specially the Bommanahalli & Hosa road signals) as compared to whatever wait at the toll booth.

You can be unlucky only if there is a Jam on BETL due to any accident or a breakdown.

That said, weekend traffic in Bangalore is more unpredictable and horrible than regular weekday traffic. One of the reasons for this - Those who took company transport to work on weekdays take out their cars to buy Colgate at a mall on weekends.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd August 2015 at 08:59.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed