Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2015, 18:10   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Elevated Tollway

For the price we pay for the toll on the BETL, they don't even turn on all the lights at night! And there is water-logging during heavy rains etc.
Old 1st December 2015, 19:00   #782
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
That said, ideally NHAI should have given a discount for those using FASTAG, this would have given frequent users to migrate to the same. As of now, apart from the advantage of not carrying cash, there is no reason for migrating to RFID.
And this is followed everywhere in the world. Cash is always more than a card/tag based system.

Currently even the lanes for Fastag are lesser than the cash lanes. This should be reversed. Make it very easy for FASTAG and let the people paying cash wait in the queue. Automatically people will start adopting the FASTAG to save the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
For the price we pay for the toll on the BETL, they don't even turn on all the lights at night! And there is water-logging during heavy rains etc.
And they say we are intolerant

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st December 2015 at 19:03.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 20:00   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Cash is always more than a card/tag based system.
Make it very easy for FASTAG and let the people paying cash wait in the queue. Automatically people will start adopting the FASTAG to save the time.
And they say we are intolerant
Agree Vid! Somehow in India politicians correlate success with crowd, traffic jam and blind followers and tolerance. That’s why at toll gates they want to see people waiting desperately for tickets, this may give the authorities a psychic satisfaction of success. Bangalore has been plagued by poor governance from 2008, tax payer’s money has been looted and there is little money left for maintenance. The elevated toll road is a good example of corruption, toll rates increase every year, but no one is concerned about lights turned off during night, water logging on the road and movement of dislocated bus and trucks.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 10:10   #784
BHPian

I assume online recharge of your Smart pass / RFID is not yet possible right ?
Tried calling their Toll Free Number, but no one even picks up
Old 11th December 2015, 12:41   #785
Senior - BHPian

can i get RFID for my bike and go through the car lane? i don't mind paying the toll rates of the car.
Old 11th December 2015, 13:05   #786
Distinguished - BHPian

And why would you want to do that ? isnt it free for bikes ?
Old 11th December 2015, 13:08   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And why would you want to do that ? isnt it free for bikes ?
BETL is the only toll that charges the bikes
Old 11th December 2015, 13:39   #788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
You forgot NICE although it has got no connection to NHAI.

I am more than sure that if people cycle to work through BETL, they will notice this trend and start charging. After all, BETL was designed and developed and transferred to techies .

On the contrary, the NBTL toll strictly didn't (can't day doesn't) allow 2 wheelers but they make full time use of this and also don't have to pay toll even for using the elevated road there.

OT but only 2 years before, a BHPian's friend in his Figo had rear ended a Honda Activa on the elevated section of NBTL only because that 2 wheeler suddenly swerved right in front of his Figo to avoid water puddle. Figo braked hard, still hit the 2 wheeler and the rider fell on the bonnet but another Figo tailing this one couldn't brake in time and rear ended this Figo.

All 3 vehicles were seized by Jalahalli Police Station and there was a sitting for "compromise". I was there along with this BHPian and the Figo owner and when we showed the cops the Signage at that exists at the beginning of NBTL elevated road that restricts 2 wheelers, cops didn't even want to talk about that!!

Anyway, Back to BETL now .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 16:13   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Bikers on the BETL must be super brave folks, I dont think I will be able to!

The sight of cars doing triple digit speeds and just wizz past the biker, making his whole bike shake is plain scary.

BTP should put up speed cameras on BETL.

BTW recollect reading this in this thread earlier, that the RFID can be used across India on Fastag, is it correct, anyone tried it?

Regards
Shailesh
Old 14th March 2016, 12:07   #790
BHPian

After waiting in line and tendering exact change for over 3 weeks I finally decided to give in and go for the RFID tag. Opted for the balance based option.

Only question I have is if any of you have a cooling film on the windshield and are still able to use the RFID? The security guard who fixes the tag mentioned that there have been many cases where it didn't work.

Work around suggested is to cut out enough film to house the tag. Thought i'll check with this group before going for this option.
Old 14th March 2016, 12:21   #791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo_shiva View Post
Only question I have is if any of you have a cooling film on the windshield and are still able to use the RFID? The security guard who fixes the tag mentioned that there have been many cases where it didn't work.
On an average, in a week's travel in both direction, I see at least 5-6 instances where the RFID is not read by the scanner. This seems to be a common problem that regular commuters swear by the earlier OBU's that were much reliable. Few colleagues at my workplace also say this.

I have used OBU in the WagonR but still continue to pay by cash every day in my Ertiga.

The issue with RFID seems to be very common.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 17:31   #792
Senior - BHPian

I have no film but the From E-City fastag lanes (both of them) consistently have problems reading my FASTAG RFID. The BETL RFID (not OBU) works flawlessly ( I have one each on either car).

But it does work one out of 10 times. The other nine times, it does not work even with a manual scan
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 12:04   #793
BHPian

Got to test the RFID tag ( without removing the cooling film) last evening on the way home. Just held it up against the windshield and it worked fine. Attached it firmly to the windshield in the night.

Worked fine this morning as well.

But as noted by Sridhu and others, its not consistent, even I have seen such incidents. Therefore, slow down enough till the barrier opens up!

Heard from the security guy that one of the cars sped through yesterday, RFID tag reading failed and BOOM, windshield shattered!

Last edited by yo_shiva : 15th March 2016 at 12:29. Reason: Grammar.
Old 18th March 2016, 16:12   #794
BHPian

I have been using the BETL RFID tag for more than 6 months now. Haven't faced any issues with the readings at the toll gate.

But after introduction of the RFID tag there are always a few guys sitting in front of the barrier with a hand scanner. They are also allowing people with day passes in the same lane.
Old 18th March 2016, 16:18   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles101 View Post
But after introduction of the RFID tag there are always a few guys sitting in front of the barrier with a hand scanner. They are also allowing people with day passes in the same lane.
They do that today as well. In fact, in the mornings since I reach the Gate at 0730 and there is no rush, I pay by cash and buy a day pass and on return I pass the gate around 1600 which are manned along with scanner and just show the receipt and pass.

Only difference is, earlier they used to see the receipt and let us pass but today they scan and the barrier opens.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th March 2016 at 16:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks