Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2010, 10:41   #121
BHPian

They should put sign at the entrance - NO STOPPING on the road. very important
Old 24th January 2010, 10:56   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
5.) No exit or entry to/from EC Phase 2 entrance.
Benny the exit is already there to EC Phase 2. There's a left exit ramp to EC phase 2.

The entry ramp is still under construction. A good 5-6 months before that is ready.
Old 24th January 2010, 13:19   #123
BHPian

Yesterday after dinner, I had this sudden urge to checkout the bridge. So had a quick trip till e-city at 10pm (I had my family along with me).
First impression was that raod is too narrow. Unless every one strictly adheres to lane descipline, things can go berserk.
Road quality is really good and my TSI was enjoying every bit of it for sure.
It is definitely dangerous for 2 wheelers as they have ride too close to speeding 4 wheelers.
Whatever, after suffering for many years on Hosur Road (even before the 4 lane road) this is indeed a revolution for me.

Friends, did any one hear about BTM fly over
Old 24th January 2010, 15:44   #124
BHPian

Chicken on the Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
They should put sign at the entrance - NO STOPPING on the road. very important
This is what I saw today afternoon. A guy was carrying two chicken in his Moped. One of them fell off. He stopped his moped diagonally blocking one lane and was trying to retrieve the chicken sitting in the moped itself, Tent Pegging Style! Attached is a snapshot . Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, Couldn't get time to focus properly as the event unfolded. The "chicken dude" is in the center of the rectangle.

-- Wind
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Elevated Tollway-chicken.jpg  

Old 24th January 2010, 18:06   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Check with people staying near KR Puram cable bridge, how many accidents they see every month when 2 wheelers fly of the bridge.
While its possible for any vehicle to fly off a bridge and more so for 2 wheelers, we should ban 2 wheelers from ALL bridges.

Oops, i just sounded like our cops where they ban anything they can't control.

-- Torqy
Old 24th January 2010, 18:52   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
While its possible for any vehicle to fly off a bridge and more so for 2 wheelers, we should ban 2 wheelers from ALL bridges.

Oops, i just sounded like our cops where they ban anything they can't control.

-- Torqy
Nothing personal, its my own thinking that this bridge is not safe for 2 wheelers, I request you take a ride yourself and decide, because many of us who has taken a ride on this,feel the same way.
Old 24th January 2010, 21:07   #127
BHPian

One question about the interceptors. Since the lanes are already narrow, where will these be stationed? I am guessing in the small by lane section of the flyover.
Will certainly take out the element of surprise from the "pedal to metal" drivers

Regards,
Old 24th January 2010, 21:22   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
This is what I saw today afternoon. A guy was carrying two chicken in his Moped. One of them fell off. He stopped his moped diagonally blocking one lane and was trying to retrieve the chicken sitting in the moped itself, Tent Pegging Style! Attached is a snapshot . Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, Couldn't get time to focus properly as the event unfolded. The "chicken dude" is in the center of the rectangle.
- Wind
This guy might have opened a stall selling 'chicken-manchoori' at the layby area
Old 24th January 2010, 21:52   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
This guy might have opened a stall selling 'chicken-manchoori' at the layby area
Looking at the number of cars/bikes stopping at the Lay-by area, we would soon see a snack stall there :-)

-- Wind
Old 24th January 2010, 23:29   #130
BHPian

Me and my wife decided to drive the elevated expressway today and take advantage of the low traffic conditions thanks to the Sunday. We had some work on the way to EC and hence took the road only on the way back. It was a little confusing to find the entrance to the expressway since I was under the impression that a ramp towards the city would start on Hosur road. Finally I realized that the entrance was from EC Phase 1. It was a few weeks since I had revved the Swift and the road looked inviting.

Here are my observations

1) Lanes are narrow. Good enough for 2 cars side by side but will become a problem when buses start plying. Lane discipline is a must else it's not long before traffic jams choke the expressway.
2) Road quality is very good. Way to go India !!!
3) Roads are neat as of now. Don't know how long it will be kept this way. Already found some snack packet covers strewn around.
4) All categories of vehicles were seen plying including 3 wheelers !!! (yes there were a couple of auto rickshaws). These vehicles as usual did not know the meaning of lane discipline.
5) No offense to 2 wheelers but this is a high speed expressway without intersections and lack of lane discipline and non-maintenance of constant high speeds could prove to be dangerous. We too had some trouble getting around slow moving 2 wheelers.
6) Vehicle breakdowns could prove to be dangerous for traffic that follows from behind. An Indica (cab) had broken down on the right lane and occupants were standing outside waving at traffic to move to the left lane. My noticed this on time and alerted me since I was at 90 kmph+ and the road was slightly curvy at that point.
7) The point where the expressway ends and merges into Hosur road close to Silk board could be a problem area at peak hours and end up as a major bottleneck thereby spoiling the expressway experience.

I wonder why no one thought of making the lanes a little more wider and thereby make drivers feel more comfortable.

Despite the flaws, its indeed a step in the right direction for Bangalore. Maybe with experience of more such elevated roads, things will improve.
Old 25th January 2010, 08:42   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am updating this thread on Pervez's behalf:

He just reached Electronic City from Jayanagar in 25 minutes flat. The road below the expressway is not blocked. The expressway is half open.

Thanks @PatienceWins.
I had been to the elevated expressway on Friday evening.
Guess what there was an accident right there near the mouth of
the elevated way. The guy was being carried away on a stretcher. Some
auspicious opening. There was glass everywhere.
I went from under the flyover. The congestion @Bomannahalli was halved. I got through easily.
Again on Saturday morning I used the elevated portion. Damn, it felt too narrow for comfort. I mean there is very less margin for error.
As usual the slowest of the lot was on the right side.
There rules in India should change regarding this. Now the leftmost lane should be the fast lane, as people don't seem to budge even after honking and flashing.
Clearly this stretch, under and below, seem a class different from the rest of the roads in BLR and the bigwigs have made a difference.
Sometimes I feel, there could be many things these IT giants could handle in a much better way than the Babus.

Happy motoring!
Old 25th January 2010, 09:21   #132
Senior - BHPian

@Asdon, you are right. There is not point in telling that 2 wheelers have to be banned. Till after the inauguration everyone are telling one point "The road very nice, speed limit 80kms/hr and dangerous if it drizzles/rains. Now what we can say is that BHPians/guests who ride 2 wheelers reading this thread will know which road to use and how to ride on that road and be safe
Old 25th January 2010, 13:07   #133
BHPian

Had taken the flyover on Friday night (from E City to Silk Board) and on Sunday afternoon both ways. Some of the observations -

a) As many of you suggested, lanes are narrow. It will be difficult to overtake a bus or a truck.

b) Vehicles in the road below will move faster, when they are moving that is. So if the load is distributed, it may not save 10 minutes. However, lot will depend on the distribution of traffic once the toll is in place.

c) It definitely needed more lay-byes, some removable dividers, for emergency situation.

d) It is easy to get confused to find the approach of the bridge from Hosur side. There were quite a few vehicle on Friday did that mistake. I was among them and had to travel almost 4 km extra to take two U turns to come to the flyover. Once the toll gates are in place, however, that will be gone.

e) BTW, from Hosur Road side the flyover length to Silkboard is approximately 7.5 km and takes less than 10 min. Has anyone measured which is the longest arm?

f) For 7.5 km, a toll of Rs 30 works out to be Rs 4/km - way too high

g) From Sarjapur ORR side, it still makes sense to take Jail Road/Haralur Road to ECity, as those are still less time consuming - thanks to flyover constrctions in Agara Jn, HSR BDA Jn and Silk Board signal (on the way back).
Old 25th January 2010, 13:38   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
6) Vehicle breakdowns could prove to be dangerous for traffic that follows from behind. An Indica (cab) had broken down on the right lane and occupants were standing outside waving at traffic to move to the left lane. My noticed this on time and alerted me since I was at 90 kmph+ and the road was slightly curvy at that point.
you broke one... the max speed limit is 80 and you were 90+
Old 25th January 2010, 13:38   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Benny the exit is already there to EC Phase 2. There's a left exit ramp to EC phase 2.

The entry ramp is still under construction. A good 5-6 months before that is ready.
You're referring to the exit towards the left side on Hosur road, right?
I was referring to the side which leads towards Timken, HP and Ottera. Wonder why they didnt fathom an exit to this side.

Most Viewed