Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 22:56   #166
Senior - BHPian

It is clearly mentioned in the Silkboard Jn Entrance that Slow moving vehicles, autos and pedestrians are banned on the flyover.

Still we can see about 5-10 BETL staff at the same entrance inviting them to take the flyover !!
Old 30th January 2010, 08:28   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnn View Post
800 crore spent for 9km highway is too much.
We have to remember that the final phases of completion fell in difficult times of global slowdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
2 wheelers are allowed on the fast lane provided they are driving fast and not at 20kmph and blocking everyone behind them which usually is the case on BETL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
It is clearly mentioned in the Silkboard Jn Entrance that Slow moving vehicles, autos and pedestrians are banned on the flyover.

Still we can see about 5-10 BETL staff at the same entrance inviting them to take the flyover !!
It is time to change the rules silently. Make the leftmost lane the fast lane. People who have the natural instinct to go to the right can still have that privelidge and aware and responsible drivers can enjoy driving on the left.
But I'm not sure what'll if people start coming to the left then
Old 30th January 2010, 11:22   #168
BHPian

Quote:

I think mentioning it near silk board will not help, see the start ponits of Nice roads, you will see boards with vehicle pictures which are banned, because if you write in english, loacl auto driver will not understand, if you write in Kannada, slow vehicle going to Hosur will not understand, if you write in Hindi, all vehicles will come to the flyover as a sign of protest And the funny thing is, vehicle comming from Silk board will not know if the toll has started or not, if TOI forgets to mention it. Yesterday I saw BETL has put plastic blocks in the lay bye area so no amature photographers show any interest to park the vehicle to take a snap, but that had no effect, I saw one indica stopped on the left lane towards E-city, and few guys standing there and showing some vacant plots besides NH7, looked like they are dealing in properties and found a great viewing spot to showcase it to the customer
Old 31st January 2010, 09:30   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
....... and asked me if I had eye-sight problem, I asked why and he said the whole of left lane was empty then why I was honking for 5 mins!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRyder View Post
Welcome to the club asdon...just count how many time you would face this situation..mine must be almost 25 and counting!
All guys - ALERT!!!

Forget the unassuming 2wheeler, or the idiotic sight seeing omni in right lane ---- The new wannabe killer is the BETL Partol guys themselves.

The elevated highway guys have 2-3 SUMO's, each with a 2x2 foot board in the front and back that reads - BETL. These guys CRAWL on the LEFT LANE - so slow, I assume they are in 2nd gear, MAX 20KMPH.

Bcoz of these guys, any sincere soul on the left lane, is forced to jump out onto the right lane at their existing slow speed - thus causing near scare experiences...

Guys - Just stay alert every second on this road.

PS- I had to use this flyover today morning @ 6AM. It was under such a thick FOG/SMOG, visibility was down to a few meters. NOT A GOOD time to use this road - Guys, if its post 4 or 5 AM, or if you see any indication of FOG while at both ends, please AVOID this death trap.
Old 1st February 2010, 09:32   #170

Finally was able to travel on the elevated highway yesterday! Just a few thoughts:

1. The ride quality is world class. How I wish every road in India was like this one.

2. If the road quality is at par with the best in the world, the quality of its users, sadly left a lot to be desired. I saw a SUVs doing mad zig zag overtakes maneuvers, taxis driving in the middle of the road, slow vehicles on the right lane and everything else the earlier posts have complained about. There were vehicles doing well in excess of 100 kmph.

3. Someone mentioned the possibility of two wheelers toppling over the side in case of an accident. IMHO, not just two wheelers but cars also share that risk. A high speed accident can easily cause a car to "fly" over the edge. Of course, this is not to suggest that either two or four wheelers must be banned on the elevated highway, just a plea for saner driving on that stretch.

4. The drive from E-city to CSB was over in minutes, literally. Proud to have such a great piece of infrastructure in my city.
Old 1st February 2010, 09:53   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
The elevated highway guys have 2-3 SUMO's, each with a 2x2 foot board in the front and back that reads - BETL. These guys CRAWL on the LEFT LANE - so slow, I assume they are in 2nd gear, MAX 20KMPH.
lol. Those Sumos are going so slow to patrol the flyover. You want to know why they are patrolling the flyover.

It seems that the potted plants in the median are being stolen like mad. To keep an eye for such mischief they have added this patrol.
Old 1st February 2010, 09:59   #172
MCR
BHPian

Guys,
Humps have been put just before the toll collection point on the Hosur road exit. This is because some heavy vehicle has hit the toll collection booth and has caused severe damge to the entire booth.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:05   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Guys,
Humps have been put just before the toll collection point on the Hosur road exit. This is because some heavy vehicle has hit the toll collection booth and has caused severe damge to the entire booth.
Saw that yesterday. This entire stretch going to be a nightmare with zigzaging bikes. Especially during the night and early morning.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:15   #174
Senior - BHPian

So all in all what do the guys feel after using this for more than a week now. Has the travel time to offices increased or decreased ? This I ask before the tolls are in place. After that, the real drama starts.
In the US, people having smart cards have a seperate lane when they apporach a toll. The system detects the card and opens up the gate a good distance before the car passes. I know I am very optimistic, but can we have atleast seperate lanes near the toll booths for regular users/ daily commuters ?

Last edited by prince_pervez : 1st February 2010 at 10:27.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:24   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I the US, people having smart cards have a seperate lane when they apporach a toll. The system detects the card and opens up the gate a good distance before the car passes.
It may not be that sophisticated system here but if I remember correct they're planning something like this too.
Old 1st February 2010, 11:13   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Rudra, something like a token system ? Hand over a token instead of paying cash ? Will be simpler - but again, definitely prone to hacking
Old 1st February 2010, 11:22   #177
Team-BHP Support

No, something like smart card I believe. Check out TOI issues one or two days after this tollway was opened for public use.
Old 1st February 2010, 11:37   #178
BHPian

Quote:

Apologies for going

What is "slow moving vehicles"?
Old 1st February 2010, 11:39   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Guys,
And this happened because when you get down towards Hosur side, you expect the driving lanes to be in the same line of the toll gate entrance( I hope I dont sound Greek) but here when you come down you will find toll booth constructed middle of the lane some some times its tough for speedy vehicles to adjust, and a tren I saw for few days that as the approach to NH 7 comes closer, vehicles start increasing the speed. And again I came across a Waganor(@50+kmph) yesterday, the lady was not ready to give the right lane, after constant horn she gave me the lane but gave me her middle fingure too

When the toll starts I don't see many car going to use it, expect some one has to catch a train/plain, some one going on a holiday and don't want to start with Bomanhalli.
Old 1st February 2010, 11:40   #180
BHPian

Frequent users can have smart cards attached on the windscreen.dashboard where the master machine can read the data and deduct the amount for the toll. Good Idea!

Most Viewed