Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 19:03   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
question: Is there a rule saying that 2 wheelers cannot drive in the fast lane(assuming that the lane speed rule is being followed
It is nice to know that people are asking questions and getting educated.

Amohit, if you re-read the sign boards on many roads/highways, you will see that 2 wheelers have lower speed limit (say 40km/hr) compared to cars (60km/hr). Hence they never should be on the right lane, because they have a lower max speed limit.

I started reading this thread because I lived in Bangalore before moving to Chennai. I understand the frustration of people who have to visit E-city. Initially it was the silk board junction flyover which caused havoc in their life and then the junctions, and then came the cabs Lets see where do we go from here.
Old 11th February 2010, 20:50   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Driving is the cabbie's occupation. He is on the roads for 8-10 hours or more. So, a good or bad behaviour from him will have big impact.

Compared to this, most of us, members of this forum, would be having other occupations. We would be commuting to/from office and this would be the major time that we end up driving. Hence, it is all the more important that the professional drivers have good mannerisms. This does not mean each of us need not have. But the cabbie can make a bigger difference.
I feel its the opposite, cabbies drive on the trot for long hours so as a human tendency they can tend to show frustration on the road by driving bad, its up to us lesser mortals to show the right way as we are not in such a situation.
Old 11th February 2010, 21:30   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaops View Post
I feel its the opposite, cabbies drive on the trot for long hours so as a human tendency they can tend to show frustration on the road by driving bad, its up to us lesser mortals to show the right way as we are not in such a situation.
Yes, of course, all of us should show the right way. But that does not mean that cabbies should show their frustration on the road by driving bad. In fact, road is not the place to show frustration. If cabbies are frustrated, stop driving as their frustrated driving is dangerous.

I completely disagree with this logic. Carelessness and rash driving costs lives and property. Frustration is just an excuse.

BTW, being on the road for long hours do not and should not cause frustration. There are legends in this forum itself who drive for long hours non stop. Please read their travelogues. Seldom are they frustrated.

I guess this discussion is going off topic.

Last edited by sbraj : 11th February 2010 at 21:32.
Old 11th February 2010, 22:28   #259
Senior - BHPian

Any idea how many more days the road is toll free?
Old 11th February 2010, 22:34   #260
Senior - BHPian

I heard toll starts from March onwards, not sure.
Old 11th February 2010, 23:08   #261
BHPian

The authorities should start using the interceptors available in the highway and start monitoring the speed.
I think once they start to charge "over speed fine", naturally everybody will try to restrict the speed.
Old 12th February 2010, 05:59   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
The cabbies (for that matter I would say any public vehicle) are blamed because they're the one who needs to be more responsible than the private vehicles; they make a living out of it & most importantly its not their vehicle. The point is even if you're able to cover the entire stretch in a minute, as long as you don't create even a minor threat to anyone on the road.
can't agree with your point mate, every road user has the same responsibility, drive safely, care about other road users,
you don't need to be educated or techie to follow this, all it needs is a bit of common sense

On a different note Traffic police could try average speed cameras, where two cameras will be installed which can read number plates, then it calculates the time took for the vehicle to cover the entire distance, thus calculating average speed. I have seen lots of such cameras in UK

more details http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/SPECS.htm

Last edited by rajtheindian : 12th February 2010 at 06:05. Reason: want to add another topic in the same discussion
Old 12th February 2010, 08:57   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
The authorities should start using the interceptors available in the highway and start monitoring the speed.
I think once they start to charge "over speed fine", naturally everybody will try to restrict the speed.
Thats a good way to curtail speed on these kind of roads. The Automatic Cameras. Capture the speeders and fine them. This sure will reduce the average speed on this road.
Old 12th February 2010, 09:29   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
On a different note Traffic police could try average speed cameras, where two cameras will be installed which can read number plates, then it calculates the time took for the vehicle to cover the entire distance, thus calculating average speed. I have seen lots of such cameras in UK

more details SPECS speed cameras explained, UK SPECS traffic cameras
are these cameras used in India, the only ones that I have seen are the ones installed in a police cab standing on the side of the road.
Old 12th February 2010, 09:52   #265
BHPian

They did this on the very first day to show the minsters but from day 2 onwards I have not seen those interceptors, though I see them every Sat & Sun day morning park some where near Kudlu gate towards silkboard. Mr. Sood who is very media friendly, had announced Rs 500/- fine for overspeeding on TOI day before opening, neither does TOI cares to check if that is happening nor any of the TV channels, who usually busy spreading rumors arround Bangalore if its a Polio drop case or some moviestar's death, who cares for the infrastructure sometimes when I keep driving at 70-80, and see others overtaking me on the bridge @90-100+ I really feel frustated, with whom these guys are racing? if they have the guts why don't these moron go and enlist their name in Force India? I read one post in this thread where the blogger said, speed of the car is proportional to the price of the car, I fully agree to that, the pricer the car the speedier it is, and this applies to many BHPIANS too, they proudly post their travel details where they write about doing 120-140+ and get pat on the back from fellows, its not only cabbies(who I think are 70% responsible) but also us who has reponsibility to keep the road safe.
Just see the timings if you drive @80 you cross the bridge in 7.125 min
@60 - 9.5 min, @90 - 6.33 min, @100 - 5.7 min, @120 - 4.75 min, now can anyone tell me what the hale someone will achive in 3.8 min, if they cross the bridge @100 instead of 60kmph....please think before overspeeding

Last edited by asdon : 12th February 2010 at 09:54.
Old 12th February 2010, 10:19   #266
BHPian

asdon : I totally agree with you, as a lead forum for the drivers like us we should take the lead for this. As a start can we atleast stop patting those who who drive like maniacs.
Old 12th February 2010, 10:36   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
On a different note Traffic police could try average speed cameras, where two cameras will be installed which can read number plates, then it calculates the time took for the vehicle to cover the entire distance, thus calculating average speed.
But then, this "Silicon Valley" has local language number plates. Can your silicon beat that?
If it just looks for patterns...maybe.

-- Torqy
Old 12th February 2010, 11:01   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
who cares for the infrastructure sometimes when I keep driving at 70-80, and see others overtaking me on the bridge @90-100+ I really feel frustated, with whom these guys are racing? if they have the guts why don't these moron go and enlist their name in Force India?
Good one
Quote:
@60 - 9.5 min, @90 - 6.33 min, @100 - 5.7 min, @120 - 4.75 min, now can anyone tell me what the hale someone will achive in 3.8 min, if they cross the bridge @100 instead of 60kmph....please think before overspeeding
Beautifully written. These words should be written in Gold.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:11   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I don't think racing helps in anyway in city traffic. Every stretch has a built in speed and this cannot be overcome. Even if some one races, all they would achieve is end up waiting more at the next signal.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:23   #270
Senior - BHPian

Asdon you are absolutely right.Even during test drives of any vehicles by many BHPians they have stated that they drived the car in 120-140kms/hr and took a curve to see the stability. First of all test drives aren't done on the cars they already have. For Ex they will be having an Alto and the are TDing an i20 in that speed. Imagine how much experience he will be having driving the i20 and he says he tested that in 120. Common sense. They are not only risking/dying but they are killing others also IMO

Most Viewed