Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2013, 19:59   #676
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore Elevated Tollway

I am a regular user of this road, feel very bad to say that all private buses and tempo travellers drive rashly on the expressway almost squeezing the poor 2 wheelers for no fault of them. One more bad practice is these Kerala/TN bound buses stop right in front of the toll gate to pick up passengers. This menace does not end here but continues till Hennagara gate where there are some more people to get into the bus, so another zig-zag driving happens from right side to left side. A few months back a person crossing the road infront of Narayana Hrudayalaya was killed by one such bus, man he was very horribly crushed. I see cops now collecting toll from these buses in the morning infront of NTTF after the toll gate.

Last edited by deehunk : 16th January 2013 at 20:01.
Old 17th January 2013, 18:37   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
That was the reason and heard that the motorcyclist died of injuries.
No The motorcyclist is injured, a student who was traveling in the bus, died after jumping out of the window, probably miscalculating the side on which to dive. The Traffic on the toll road has become very unruly, some of them overspeeds, some of them think the road is build for a car morning walk, both types are equally responsible, and problem is that they don't leave the fast lane at any cost. Many days I see 2 wheeler standing on the road( not the lay bay area) and chating on cell, I can't write what I feel for those. I have given written complain regadring this in BETL office, but no action has been taken. I wish regulars on the road must complain to BETL regarding these issues
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 18:59   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
No The motorcyclist is injured, a student who was traveling in the bus, died after jumping out of the window, probably miscalculating the side on which to dive. The Traffic on the toll road has become very unruly, some of them overspeeds, some of them think the road is build for a car morning walk, both types are equally responsible, and problem is that they don't leave the fast lane at any cost. Many days I see 2 wheeler standing on the road( not the lay bay area) and chating on cell, I can't write what I feel for those. I have given written complain regadring this in BETL office, but no action has been taken. I wish regulars on the road must complain to BETL regarding these issues
My bad - someone in office told me that the motorcyclist had died of injuries. But equally sad that there was loss of life! Yes, it must be bad enough driving/riding on the BETL during peak traffic hours. But I would still take it any day over the road down below. That is hell!!
Old 17th January 2013, 20:04   #679
Senior - BHPian

It is common to see few unthinkables sticking to high speed lane with slow speeds and forcing others to overtake from left, these great people cannot hear the horn, advice which we give when overtaking. The buses and trucks think the right way to drive is changing lanes from left to right or vice-versa like a sine wave. It is high time to take preventive measure on this road before people start getting killed daily. Another funny thing the lights are switched off during night even at corners making it difficult to drive without high beams.
Old 17th January 2013, 20:28   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Another funny thing the lights are switched off during night even at corners making it difficult to drive without high beams.
Am sure you didn't mean funny funny. But seriously, it is bugging that we pay toll to use the road but these jokers do not turn on all the lights! And I know that they even turn it off sometimes during rainy days! Pathetic. I had complained about it often but nothing came of it.
Old 17th January 2013, 20:34   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am sure you didn't mean funny funny
, always feel when you convey such things on lighter note it makes a better impact, thats my way of conveying things to authorities.
Old 20th January 2013, 15:28   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday I was driving on the elevated expressway (hosur road) around 9:30PM maintaining a speed of 70-80 Kmh. During this drive, a couple of Kallada travels - Multi Axle volvo overtook me and disappeared in no time. They would have been doing minimum of 120 Kmh and one of them was changing the lane frequently to overtake other vehicles. So, despite the SRM accident, lessons haven't been learnt.
Old 20th January 2013, 16:34   #683
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Yesterday I was driving on the elevated expressway (hosur road) around 9:30PM maintaining a speed of 70-80 Kmh. During this drive, a couple of Kallada travels - Multi Axle volvo overtook me and disappeared in no time. They would have been doing minimum of 120 Kmh and one of them was changing the lane frequently to overtake other vehicles. So, despite the SRM accident, lessons haven't been learnt.
If the cops were to install speed cameras there it would be great. The fine for overspeeding by any public transport or other multi axle heavy vehicle and all taxi cabs should be Rs 5000/- non negotiable. Any private car which overspeeds should be fined at the rate of Rs 3500/- non negotiable. Government vehicles found overspeeding should be fined Rs 7500/-. Motorbikes and other 2 wheelers found overspeeding should be fined Rs 2500/-.
If one is caught three times for over speeding there should be immediate confiscation of license and a jail term of 6 months or public service or community service for 1 year, for 10 hours week. This effectively means that the weekend will get ruined for the perpetrator and will certainly teach the private bike and car owners to behave. Lane indiscipline can be fined at 50% of the above suggested rates.

In India, only danda giri works. Perhaps they should start imposing prison terms for traffic violations and strictly enforce them. Then, over the next en years we will see a difference in behaviour!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th January 2013 at 16:36.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 09:41   #684
BHPian

One question, does the speed gun work only in day light? I have never seen the interceptor to its duty at night on the flyover. Perhaps its time to put Automated cameras at work, like they have placed 2 at the road below(if you don't know I will not tell you the location)
Old 21st January 2013, 11:33   #685
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
One question, does the speed gun work only in day light? I have never seen the interceptor to its duty at night on the flyover.
The interceptors can work well at night too. The reason why they are not used at night time in Bangalore is because

- the equipment that is in their interceptor vehicle needs to be manually used (focussed), and for most personnel, evening is end of their duty time too, just like any other workers.

- More important reason why they seldom use it at nights - since it requires manual focusing on the 'targets', daytime is more convenient when the cops can spot speedsters easily and catch them red-handed. At night time, it is difficult for them to judge the speed of oncoming traffic, hence tougher to focus on particular vehicles and catch them. This is why Automated cameras are a better option at night time.

Quote:
Perhaps its time to put Automated cameras at work, like they have placed 2 at the road below(if you don't know I will not tell you the location)
I wish they put up these cameras at hundreds of hidden places on ORR and other arterial roads in B'lore to prevent speeding buffoons from driving/riding recklessly. I am all for this move. One rule-break I seriously want to see controlled through these night vision cameras is jumping signals at off-peak hours. Nobody seems to respect the rules after 10PM, and if we stop at signals, these morons give us a "what kind of idiot are you?" look.

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st January 2013 at 11:38.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 16:54   #686
Senior - BHPian

This accident happened a few minutes before I crossed the spot. Though to me, it was the biker's fault. Looks like the biker had hit the tempo from behind. With such force that the protective metal behind the back tyre had bent. When I reached the spot, some people were carrying the rider into a car. The pillion - a girl was on the road, behind the tempo, seemingly senseless and gasping for breath. No helmet in sight. A very, very sorry scene. I asked bikers who had stopped if someone had called for an ambulance. They said yes so I left the scene - not wanting to be another rubber-necker. Man, the girl gasping for breath still haunts me.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Elevated Tollway-capture.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2013, 17:20   #687
BHPian

I use to be a reguler commuter on this BETL road which was meant to be safe, fast and most importantly exclusive to those who can afford the daily toll. Sadly, i dont find it holding its purpose anymore. I usually reach office by 8:00 and return home by 6:30 trying to avoid the office rush. At those times, it's the huge infosys and wipro buses who rule, and post 9:00 AM its the normal/abnormal BMTC, private vehicles, 2 wheelers eveyrthing. Some are mannered and the rest you know.

The lay bye area is also turning out to be a lover's spot now where late evenings you can see many couples together.
Those bajaj scooterists will leave no chance to irritate you, will occupy the slow lane and are reluctant to give way. Max speed is 80kmph for cars and for 2 wheelers its 60kmph but who gives a damn. After all we are paying for it so we drive at will, isnt it ?

Of late, i have discovered, the time taken through the elevated toll now is approximately same as what it takes through the highway(+/- 10 mins). Trust me on this, just try someday and i am sure you all will agree. Barely luck plays its part on the flyover where you get to reach without any traffic jams. Those pre independence heavy vehicles breaking down is an everyday affair on the flyover and it horribly chokes the road.

Overall it's not fun anymore.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:11   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
I use to be a reguler commuter on this BETL road which was meant to be safe, fast and most importantly exclusive to those who can afford the daily toll. Sadly, i dont find it holding its purpose anymore. I usually reach office by 8:00 and return home by 6:30 trying to avoid the office rush. At those times, it's the huge infosys and wipro buses who rule, and post 9:00 AM its the normal/abnormal BMTC, private vehicles, 2 wheelers eveyrthing. Some are mannered and the rest you know.
True that. But the jam is not because of the BETL - the traffic jam happens since the vehicles coming from Bommannahalli block off the traffic flowing from the BETL towards Silk board. As usual, nothing can be done about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
The lay bye area is also turning out to be a lover's spot now where late evenings you can see many couples together.
Nothing wrong with that right?
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:33   #689
BHPian

Quote:

Nothing wrong with that right?

Agree that there is nothing wrong in doing that, but my friend, its not meant for that. We have planety of threads teaching what to be done and what not to be, and almost all of them are in purview of the situation, ocassion and purpose. So if you ask me, we have no derth of places in Bangalore for couples, then why a lay bye area.

Anyways, it's a silly discussion. Let's leave it there.

Thanks.

Last edited by Shiv_1984 : 22nd January 2013 at 18:35.
Old 25th January 2013, 15:17   #690
Senior - BHPian

this is dangerous and is happening more frequently on the BETL. keep your eyes peeled!

Bangalore Elevated Tollway-_mg_9865.jpg

Bangalore Elevated Tollway-_mg_9866.jpg

best of all!
Bangalore Elevated Tollway-_mg_9857.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks