Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 11:09   #46
Team-BHP Support

How does one call cops from a cellphone? Dialling 100 doesn't work.

I think the suggestion of carrying pepper spray is the best in this thread -when travelling with wife/sister. Try to avoid a confrontation, but always have a self-defence weapon, just in case.

We should be like a skunk - we should first try to get away from a bad situation, and if it doesn't work, we should spray!

However, I read somewhere that using pepper spray is a punishable offence, unless you can prove that it was in self-defense.
Old 28th February 2010, 11:32   #47
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

I think the suggestion of carrying pepper spray is the best in this thread -when travelling with wife/sister. Try to avoid a confrontation, but always have a self-defence weapon, just in case.

We should be like a skunk - we should first try to get away from a bad situation, and if it doesn't work, we should spray!

However, I read somewhere that using pepper spray is a punishable offence, unless you can prove that it was in self-defense.
I dialled 911 once in karnataka from my cell phone. It reached the police control room!

Any why prove? Do you think the person who came to accost you and the lady next to you, take the legal route and slap a suit stating you sprayed?
Old 28th February 2010, 11:41   #48
Team-BHP Support

911? I just tried dialling that on my Vodafone mobile - nothing.

Quote:
Any why prove? Do you think the person who came to accost you and the lady next to you, take the legal route and slap a suit stating you sprayed?
Makes sense. But I think that law is there to prevent misuse of pepper spray, like in minor road rage cases.
Old 28th February 2010, 12:02   #49
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
911? I just tried dialling that on my Vodafone mobile - nothing.

Makes sense. But I think that law is there to prevent misuse of pepper spray, like in minor road rage cases.
Oh. so 911 doesn't work now? I was surprised too. I was carrying a mobile bought in US first time in a bus between bangalore and mangalore. With the keys locked, the only number it can dial are the emergency numbers. the key got pressed accidentally (there was a short cut button for emergency numbers), which dialled the emergency number from the phone's memory. I heard the voice in kannada.
I apologised to them and stated that this got pressed by error.
I checked the dialled calls list and saw the number 911. Was very surprised how it worked in karnataka.
The year was 2004.
Maybe 100 works now.

Yesterday I was damn pissed off with two morons on the road.
one guy came out of his compound without seeing what's on the road. I had to come to a screeching halt swerving to the other side of the road and that moron's bumper scraped my left rear door. Got down to inspect and the moron was a yellow board taxi driver who put his hands on air apologising profusely.
I looked at my car, luckily no scars. I had my baby in it. So told him loudly
"Dikhta nahin kya" and moved ahead.
when I went to park, I waited patiently for the car in front to pull out and vacate the spot. Dropped my wife and kid at the drop off bay, so I was alone in the car.
I had my right indicator on, pointing out that I'm going to turn right and pull in to the parking spot.
The other car pulled out and went. I move in and turned to park, a biker zooms and tries to cut me off on right.
Now I'm peeved. I roll down my window and scream "Dikhta nahin kya"?
they were two. so try to boss around.
I point at my indicator and ask in a menacing voice. "Indicator dikhta nahin kya"?
the rider replies, "aap ne indicator abhi lagaya".
I scream while getting down from the car.
"Main 5 mins se indicator lagaake, doosra gaadi nikalne keliye wait kar raha tha. Jhoot kyon bol rahe ho?"
When he say that I'm 6 ft 85 kilos and am towering over both those guys, there was a meek reply from the pillion rider.
"sorry sir".
I didn't stop. Have to went out the earlier frustration as well, because wife and baby are already in to some shop.
"Yeh pehle kyon nahin bola?. Mein sharif hoon. Isilye chod raha hoon. Koi aur hota, tum log maar kate".
They both started saying sorry.
"sambal ke jaa".

Based on the scenario, I change my approach. of course, a pepper spray might be worthwhile to carry.
Old 28th February 2010, 13:34   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I dialled 911 once in karnataka from my cell phone. It reached the police control room!
I thought the common number for all Emergencies (Police, Ambulance, Fire) was 108. At least that's the case in Goa. It must be the same all over India. 911 is only for the US.
Old 28th February 2010, 13:55   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Based on the scenario, I change my approach. of course, a pepper spray might be worthwhile to carry.
Hmmmm. You got me thinking. Where does one get this pepper spray?

My only worry is, in a fit of rage, I may use this on the wrong occasion. Basically, having a potent tool may make one lose the distinction between self defense and rage. Just wondering aloud.
Old 28th February 2010, 14:30   #52
Team-BHP Support

@ MX6/Live to Jive:

108 works on my Vodafone! A serious sounding guy picked up the phone and I disconnected the call. Reminds me of what I did 20 years back as a kid when I dialled 100 from a landline

Quote:
Hmmmm. You got me thinking. Where does one get this pepper spray?
Do a Google search for "pepper spray India".

Quote:
My only worry is, in a fit of rage, I may use this on the wrong occasion. Basically, having a potent tool may make one lose the distinction between self defense and rage. Just wondering aloud.
Don't take pepper spray with you when you go out with your family to watch "My Name is Khan" in a multiplex.

Take it with you if you go out of town on highways with young women or kids. You can also take it with you if you visit places which can be deserted at times (forts, beaches etc)
Old 28th February 2010, 14:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do a Google search for "pepper spray India".
Thanks.
On a serious note, my point was these comments made me sit up and take notice. That is what I intended to convey. Of course, I don't expect fellow members to give driving directions to shops selling the spray.

Quote:
Don't take pepper spray with you when you go out with your family to watch "My Name is Khan" in a multiplex.

Take it with you if you go out of town on highways with young women or kids. You can also take it with you if you visit places which can be deserted at times (forts, beaches etc)
Why in forts, beaches only? Why not while returning from a multiplex at 11:30 PM? I still don't get it. Pargon my inability to comprehend.

If you remember, there was a recent incident near CV Raman Nagar where a lady driving a Swift, in a fit of rage, used the spray against a (offending?) two wheeler guy. The lady was arrested, I think.

Hence my question. Eager to hear from fellow members who are carrying the spray or have used the spray on occasions.

Last edited by sbraj : 28th February 2010 at 14:54.
Old 28th February 2010, 15:01   #54
Team-BHP Support

Serves her right - she ought to be arrested for using Pepper Spray in a road rage incident. It should only be used if you or your loved one is at risk of serious harm.

Quote:
Why in forts, beaches only? Why not in while returning from a multiplex at 11:30 PM?
To begin with, the security guard at the multiplex doing a body search on you might find the spray in your pocket, seize it and use it on himself as a deodorant

In cities, even at 11:30 PM, you will find people on the road. When there are people on the road, the risk of serious harm from strangers is low.

I hope you realize what I mean when I say "serious harm".
Old 28th February 2010, 15:24   #55
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I thought the common number for all Emergencies (Police, Ambulance, Fire) was 108. At least that's the case in Goa. It must be the same all over India. 911 is only for the US.
I just rang 911 from my idea cell here in pune now. My nokia immediately pointed dialling emergency number. It rang. I hung up. Not a prudent thing to do I guess.
Old 28th February 2010, 19:28   #56
BHPian

On this topic, I would say that I feel much comfortable when she ( my wife ) sits
besides me on a long drive, she works as a perfect checker on my speed , mood
and rash driving at times.

Lasy year we had a terrible accident on NH5 , at the miidle of nowhere ,
we handled the situation so nicely that we came out of this mess unscratched
only because she was besides me.

Cheers

Last edited by Captdey : 28th February 2010 at 19:31.
Old 1st March 2010, 14:09   #57
kkg
BHPian

Different people, different reactions in the same situations i would say. It all depends on the overall nature you have.

A jolly good sardar friend of mine was in his Dzire in bumper to bumper traffic,and a guy in santro was trying to get in front but was unable to do so due to the traffic ahead, getting frustrated he was consistently honking even coming too close to hitting the bumper. Sardarji stopped the car, went upto him, got his window lowered and said " mujhe baksh de yaar, pehle hi do mahino me do baar workshop ho aayi hai..." pointing to the Dezire (spare my car dude, its already been twice to workshop in last two months of ownership"

All this with his sweet voice and his happy go face made the Santro wala smile and it was done.

Another man in the same situation would have reacted differently i'm sure.
Old 1st March 2010, 15:23   #58
BHPian

Quote:

The key is to use the spray to get away and not to stand there and fight. When outnumbered by 2 or even 3 guys, one spray will disable one person and the mere fact that one of the miscreants are down make the other guys to think about themselves, unless otherwise they are trained professionals, out there to kill you. And use that momen to get away from the scene. Though I never had to use it, despite having it in my car, the only benefit I see is it to give me those precious few seconds to get away.

Nainar
Old 1st March 2010, 19:24   #59
BHPian

Quote:
911 is only for the US.
Not nit-picking. But 911 is the emergency number in Canada as well (I don't know which other countries' emergency number is 911 too). I recently had to call 911 in Canada myself when a man, around 55 years of age (by appearance), was lying on a platform without any movement for some time. He, apparently, was high on drugs. Response from 911 operator: "We got two other calls in the last couple of minutes. Emergency vehicles are on their way." While I was hanging up, literally, I could hear emergency vehicles' sirens. So, apparently, they were dispatched in response to the previous calls. A firetruck, an ambulance and later a cop car all were there within minutes for just that man. (I mean it was not that a house was burning or an armed robbery was in progress!) Wish when India would be so.
Old 4th March 2010, 13:32   #60
BHPian

Teasing is a problem I had faced when my fiance (now wife) was seated in front when I had to go to a mechanic in a slum area. Some road side loser did some nasty gestures. I was slightly away with my back turned. On returning home, she complained on the act and I literally ran and with my social position, cornered the fellow and demanded action, he confessed and I freed him on surity.

My family named me aggressive, but I am ethically potent, being a person of an ngo, often sort similar problems that happen with other women too.

But from then on, I insist to drive or travel with tinted glasses and strongly avoid such places when with wife, though I have good legal contacts in the state.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks