Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Loud / Extra Loud Music.. generally go hand in Hand with Bad Driving
Yes, it hamper driving skills 43 78.18%
No, it does not make an effect 8 14.55%
It hardly matters!!! With or Without doesnot matter. 4 7.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2010, 19:26   #31
BHPian

I Simply love turning my car into a swish club with Beach House playing, however i do agree it affects one's concentration. I deny this all the time, however i can't lie to myself! p.s. Beach House and Chillout house is the best for driving as opposed to genres like hard rock..thats just wrong!

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2010 at 10:48. Reason: Do NOT post links to videos with inappropriate images. Team-BHP has a varied audience onboard.
Old 30th August 2010, 14:35   #32
BHPian

Yes absolutely, It does hamper driving skills! Attention to the road and traffic conditions hamper while playing loud music and yes soothing music helps in driving smooth. I have tried both loud and soft music, I almost bumped into a bike while doing so. luckily it didn't happen.

Cheers!
-Z
Old 1st September 2010, 12:20   #33
Team-BHP Support

I have to confess! I am a die-hard metal-head! I cannot listen to anything else other than rock, especially while driving. And yes, I do turn up the volume. But I make sure that it doesn't get intrusive. My concentration is always on the road and however loud the music gets, I'm not distracted by it. I need my music loud and cannot drive without it!
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:32   #34
BHPian

I would agree with the fact that loud or very loud music does hamper one's concentration (especially the fact that they do not hear ambient sounds - horn from someone else's car, ambulance siren etc.) and I would never recommend folks to hear loud music in their cars.

In fact, I would listen to calm soothing music, hindi oldies or soft rock while driving. Keeps me entertained and help me keep my cool on the road as well.
Old 8th September 2010, 10:11   #35
BHPian

I second the thought that blaring music is a hindrance to better driving mates. I have had three accidents, and twice its the blaring music that got me into trouble. From that time onwards I have kept the volume at a constant 12 or 14 and if I love the beat and the occassion is right then 16 on my Blaupunkt.

But but, rare moments when you feel like telling the world you are on top are certainly there and those times I am extra careful as a driver.

Cheers
Champion
Old 29th September 2010, 12:06   #36
BHPian

My point of view....

I like to listen to all kinds of music at home or in the car.

Loud Music while driving the car is a strict no-no, since I can do that at home. Regardless of the genre being classical or Techno, nobody (In my opinion) should drive with loud music. The line between loud and very loud will differ from person to person however the voulume should be such that you can speak to your co-passengers withour shouting. Also, I am against listening to music on the earphones while driving, walking or riding. Personally feel it hampers your reaction time to any eventuality.

My 2 pence....
Old 29th September 2010, 13:51   #37
BHPian

Does loud music cause bad driving? - not always is what I'd say. There are times when I like to turn the music high (irrespective of genre) and this primarily depends on my mood. This however might only be once or twice a year and mostly on very long drives. But I've not noticed a loss in concentration from my part because of this.

However I have seen kids zip along the road with music blaring and driving like hell. I believe this has to do more with attitude than the voloume.
Old 26th October 2010, 15:53   #38
BHPian

It all depends on the type of music you are listening to. I personally listen to oldie bollywood songs, which remove the monotony of a long drive at the sametime does not interfare with the required concentration.
Old 10th January 2011, 20:30   #39

Re: Blaring Music + Bad Driving = Does it go hand in hand!!!

If music is bad for driving, why is the govt allowing the sale of car audio systems? Are nt they collecting sales tax and other taxes for that too ???
Old 29th January 2011, 00:30   #40
BHPian

Slightly loud and heavy songs seem to help me keep occupied and be more forgiving on the road, up to each one's preferences, whatever helps is good.
Old 29th January 2011, 10:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

Loud music with the glass down may cause slight distraction while driving because it may lead to not listening to the sounds around you which may ultimately lead to a bad driving case.

Normally I tend to keep the volume at a level where I can hear the outside sounds atleast feebly if not strongly.
Old 29th January 2011, 10:40   #42
Team-BHP Support

Inside city confines, I play music at very low decibels, say max 6 (Figo's OE)

While on the high-way I do turn-up the volume, but none of my passengers do complain.

(I don't drive solo, I ride solo)
Old 1st February 2011, 19:13   #43
Team-BHP Support

I strongly feel the volume of the music and also the kind of music played significantly affects the driving style.

When I play fast-paced music, I find myself pushing the engine slightly more than I would I have otherwise. Similar the case when the volume goes up. On the other hand, slow numbers make me roll the windows down and go nice and slow!
Old 8th February 2011, 21:32   #44
BHPian

Hi.

Driving and Music go hand in hand for me. Whether loud or not, I listen to music that changes with the mood, time of the day, etc.
I do not think that the volume of the music is at fault in alterations in the driving style. I do believe that attitude is the key. As was rightly pointed out by SafeDrive.

To each his own on this subject, as long as others on the road are not affected.

Cheers.
Sam
Old 9th February 2011, 10:44   #45
BHPian

In my opinion and according to a research (BBC News | HEALTH | Fast music - dangerous driving), it actually does affect one's behavior while driving. Loud/high tempo music tend to give a driver a bit of adrenalin rush.

I do listen to hip-hop/rap while driving but I make sure that the tempo doesn't kick my senses out. I am a sedate driver with or without music. Sometimes I listen to loud music too with windows rolled up but I make sure Its not too loud to suppress outside noise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks