Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 09:19   #1
BHPian

South Mumbai streets are heaven for bikers but roads are hell

When I was looking to buy a bike in Mumbai, I was dissuaded by everyone not to buy. I should rather go for a car. The city has too much traffic, etc. By the way I have lived in some of the most chaotic cities to drive like Hyderabad, Kolkata (worst I have seen), Bangalore and Chennai. After travelling in Andheri for couple of days even I was of the opinion that maybe I can't drive it much until night time. But the Bullet classic 500 was here and I had to own it. So here starts my journey as a biker again.

Finally after getting my bike papers on tuesday, I started driving the bike. It has been only a couple of days driving in south mumbai, But believe me it is heaven to drive a bike here. I felt taking a slow local train consumes more time than driving a wheeler. I finished a distance of 20 km in 40 min flat in morning traffic(without going beyond 50-60kmph even on open roads, bike run in). Evening it was coming around 50 mins. Bandra - Nariman Point.

I was thinking how is it possible that even with so much traffic I am able to make good times. This is all due to the fact that there are no Three Wheelers allowed in beyond bandra. Man it makes a hell lot of a difference without them on the streets. Bikes can zip through most of the traffic with ease. On top of it at some of the junctions the signals go green in a sequence so I get like 2-3kms of nonstop drive. The speed of vehicles here is averaging easily 50+ kmph, highest I have seen in the major cities (Have not driven around much in delhi).

Make the cities auto free and half the traffic problems will be solved. We need a 4 wheeler replacement for Autos and voila we will have a easily manageable traffic.

But the roads are bad I mean really bad. very uneven. I am surprised to see them in such a bad condition. Even marine drive is sad. Not many potholes but uneven and slippery surfaces make them dangerous for bikers. The chance of skidding is very high. I guess I will have to look a tires which will grip better by the time it rains. Else I am screwed big time. I hope the road conditions improve.
Old 6th February 2010, 09:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

indian21r, youre absolutely right about (it makes a hell lot of a difference without them on the streets) & (Make the cities auto free and half the traffic problems will be solved. We need a 4 wheeler replacement for Autos and voila we will have a easily manageable traffic). If only it would be done. One has to go to the stations in the suburbs and see the chaos caused by the Autos, not to mention the pollution since some are still the old two stroke petrol oil mix.
Old 6th February 2010, 09:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
indian21r, youre absolutely right about (it makes a hell lot of a difference without them on the streets) & (Make the cities auto free and half the traffic problems will be solved. We need a 4 wheeler replacement for Autos and voila we will have a easily manageable traffic). If only it would be done. One has to go to the stations in the suburbs and see the chaos caused by the Autos, not to mention the pollution since some are still the old two stroke petrol oil mix.
Tell me that. The way autos drive is no different from any other part of India. They turn at their whims and fancies without any indication given. If not having them makes so much of a difference, we should consider this atleast for the major cities in India. We have to wait and see if nano or any other car can become a replacement.

Last edited by indian21r : 6th February 2010 at 09:44.
Old 6th February 2010, 15:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

thats exactly the reason why 3 wheelers are not allowed in that part of Mumbai. Also, why cycle rickshaws are banned on main roads in Delhi (only colony roads they are allowed).

I agree on the bumpiness of road, I found Mumbai roads good, wide (someplaces), empty at sometimes but very very bumpy and uneven, the patches made are very carelessly done.

Compare it to Delhis roads, they are amazing (not all places though), however very plain, you can drink coffee in the car comfortably
Old 7th February 2010, 23:12   #5
BHPian

In Mumbai, some roads are pretty good but most of them are in shambles, especially the ones in the interiors of some suburbs. The good roads include the EEH, WEH, the sealink among others. Had gone from Thane to South Mumbai on my Dio and loved the ride thanks to the good roads
Old 7th February 2010, 23:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
In Mumbai, some roads are pretty good but most of them are in shambles, especially the ones in the interiors of some suburbs. The good roads include the EEH, WEH, the sealink among others. Had gone from Thane to South Mumbai on my Dio and loved the ride thanks to the good roads
the weh sucks. its definitely not smooth. bombay roads are crap, besides the sealink. even concretised roads are uneven.
Old 13th April 2010, 22:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Believe me, there are people who think anything having less than four wheels should be banned from the roads.

Most Viewed