Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 15:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Its really hard to teach the door bangers, have been experiencing them everywhere. Security guys at office, malls, relatives, friends, sometimes even my wife. Typical Indian mentality, the greater force you apply to the door, the safer it is shut/locked. I have made a habit to get down at the office security check and at malls and keep a close eye on way they shut the tail gate. This way even they are concious about the closing. Earlier my wife also used to close the doors with a loud thud making me tear my hair in frustration, now she has learned and closes the door correctly. Then there are friends and relatives who get easily offended when told to shut the door normally. They think owning a car has gone to my head, but I dont care. Its my car and I am going to take care of it.
BTW i simply love the "thunk" of my Ford Fiesta. No bang, bang simple sweet sound & I intend to keep it that way.
Old 17th February 2010, 15:07   #17
BHPian

Actually the technique is to open the car windows or a door just before the mall guy bangs the boot/tailgate down. This will dissipate the sound wave. On the other hand if you keep all the windows and doors closed and the ac /blower running, you are going to feel a 'big bang'.

But having said that, there are cars like the Ambi,Premier, Skoda and the German cars, the doors of which need to be slammed shut or else they do not close. Whereas, just use a feathertouch to close the Jap and Korean cars. Just my point of view.
Old 17th February 2010, 15:58   #18
BHPian

I have found the best way for rear seat passengers, I keep the child lock enabled. So it is me or my co-passenger who has to get down and open the rear doors. A little exercise, but no more door banging. It really really irritates me.

Regarding the Malls, I tell the security guy to be careful while closing. and if he looks like he would not care, I just step out while unlocking the bonnet and the hatch. The bonnet guys are usually better that the hatch guys, as per my experience. maybe because my wife keeps staring at the bonnet guy sternly.
Old 18th February 2010, 13:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
What to say to other, even my better half has got this habbit from boarding all kinds of crappy cabs

But, being a car lover i dont relent & immediately ask "Cab hain kya???"
Hats off man! I wouldn;t dare talk like that to my better half

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
BTW i simply love the "thunk" of my Ford Fiesta. No bang, bang simple sweet sound & I intend to keep it that way.
Yeah, the sound of the car dooe closing correctly with just enough force is very sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Actually the technique is to open the car windows or a door just before the mall guy bangs the boot/tailgate down. This will dissipate the sound wave. On the other hand if you keep all the windows and doors closed and the ac /blower running, you are going to feel a 'big bang'.

But having said that, there are cars like the Ambi,Premier, Skoda and the German cars, the doors of which need to be slammed shut or else they do not close. Whereas, just use a feathertouch to close the Jap and Korean cars. Just my point of view.
Yes, this technique will probably reduce your feel of the impact, but the door was still banged shut with excessive force. Does Skoda also needs the door to be banged to be closed? I remember someone talking about tests in Toyota Qualis trying to close the door with minimum effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
I have found the best way for rear seat passengers, I keep the child lock enabled. So it is me or my co-passenger who has to get down and open the rear doors. A little exercise, but no more door banging. It really really irritates me.
Kudos! if you can get down and open the door for the rear seat passenger every time, it shows how much you love your car (and makes the rear seat passenger feel pampered )
Old 20th February 2010, 18:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

I do that too(get down quick and open the rear passenger door). The rear passenger may feel elated, but i think otherwise ("urban tribes otherwise will bang my car doors"). Of course their smile when i do so adds fuel to the fire.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks