Team-BHP - ToI article on Motion Sickness
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   ToI article on Motion Sickness (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/75591-toi-article-motion-sickness.html)

yesterday, i read an article on ToI supliment, i thought of sharing here as several people keeps asking me how to avoid motion sickness during road trips.

Note to Mods : i searched for this subject, but could not find one
if such thread exists, you may merge this with it. I suggest that such topics are parked some where for members to access.
Quote:

Simple ways to ease motion sickness
------------------------------------

ToI article on Motion Sickness-motion-sickness.jpg

If you are one of those who keeps avoiding trips due to bouts of illness, try one of these tricks to make the journey a little more comfortable

Snacking on protein-rich foods can help your condition. Experts suggest keeping some almonds, pistas and cashews handy while travelling. If you have an empty stomach you are more likely to feel sick. Instead, munch on high protein snacks every few hours.

It’s an age-old remedy but ginger can really help with motion sickness. Try purchasing ginger candy or simply pick up a ginger root from your kitchen. It can help with nausea from motion sickness, pregnancy or even an upset stomach. Another option is sipping on some ginger tea.

Sometimes motion sickness can be brought on by being in an enclosed space like an air-plane or a bus. Keeping an open window whenever possible can help. The fresh breeze can help ease symptoms and will get rid of any nauseating smells that may be in the car or bus.

Avoid eating very heavy or oily foods before travelling. This can ......
Read the full article : Simple ways to ease motion sickness - Health - Health & Fitness - Life - The Times of India

I have been practicing my own "methods" to avoid myself or my co-passengers getting into motion sickness.

I am posting them seperate to the TOI article (MODS please excuse me for back to back posts, i did not want to dilute TOI article with my own tadka)

I have been practicing my own techniques which are as below

1. Expose the child to travel as early as possible. The more used to child does not suffer from motion sickness when she/he grows up

2. Plan the travel to coinside with the child's sleep time, provide enough breaks in between if on a road trip in your own vehicle. If possible avoid starting on a long trip during hot afternoons immediately after heavy lunch.

3. Keep the co-passengers informed about the trip, prepare them few days in advance. brief them on the duration, transport, attractions on the way aspects and keep them interested in the trip

4. Start the trip with everyone being cheerful. never start the trip being grumpy, angry, frustrated, not slept enough, hungry, etc A good physical and mental state will aid in avoiding motion sickness

5. Keep the vehcile clean, fresh, foul odorless. check for any allergy (dust, perfume, etc) and avoid such things as much as possible during the travel.

6. Ensure that your co-passengers do not eat too much during the journey. Also ensure that they eat healthy food. sometimes the leader need to be assertive enough to keep the co-travellers don't overdo some of these things.

Adding to the above points, Avoid seeing the tress or objects from the window i.e turning towards the side and seeing things outside which are flying/whizzing/passing the car. Since these things move fast by the window our senses makes us think that we are taking a continuous circle and vomiting sensation starts. This happens mainly with the kids. AFA possible make them sit in the center(if sitting in the rear) and make them see the front windscreen rather than the sides.

1. Do not read anything while travelling.
2. Look at the road when you travel. This way your brain knows that a turn is coming up and your preps your body.
3. Pop a pill :D
4. Keep the windows rolled down.
5. Take in deep breaths
6. Keep the car perfume to min.
7. Speak when you travel.

Related thread :
Do you get car sick?

cya
R