Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:05   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
That's why in US, they always catch the guy who leads the pack. I've seldom been caught going second or third in a pack at high speeds.
And in UK, every moron slows down just before the speed cam!
And my friend once got fined for holding up traffic on I95 north. He was doing 72 mph on a 70 mile speed limit route, holding back a hundred cars.
He paid a fine of 60 USD.
And in US, if you are sandwiched between such rash drivers, one calls 911 and immediately asks for even air support!
It's a pity that we are still in a primitive age.
Its a pity, none of these kinda people when in the US seldom break traffic rules.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:07   #32
BHPian

Exactly

Quote:
Guys, chill. There's a difference between rash driving and speeding. Sudden bursts of speed, acceleration, deceleration, weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating are all rash driving. If the road's empty and you cruise at 100 or 110 on a 80 limit area, though it's breaking the law, it doesn't amount to rash driving, IMHO. If driving at high speeds is considered to be rash, then we are all guilty. Remember, one of the safest driver on Indian roads is HVK and he does 130 - 140 effortlessly.
I drive with the flow. When I hit an empty stretch, I sometimes do 120. The hallmark of my driving is the fact that I rarely switch lanes or tailgate. I anticipate traffic and go with the flow.
+1 to that MX6. Star I do agree I myself broke the rule but do refer to my earlier post stating how drivers following speed limits are harassed. Let me clarify again that IT DOES NOT JUSTIFY me maintaining the 100km/hr speed.

But driving at a constant speed of 100 without constant lane changing is more safer (IMHO) than zipping in and out of lanes without honking or blinking the indicator like a arcade video game. A loss of control in either the racers or the other cars on the road would be devastating.

If you are trying to imply that constant 100 km/hr drive (breaking the law) is equivalent to 140 km/hr zipping thru, lane cutting , no signals of any kind driving then ,I beg to differ. If indeed that is what you re saying Star, then a petty pick pocketer and a mass murderer both would be the same as both are on the wrong side of the law and also maybe all the outlaws should be fined 500 Rs and let go or all should be hanged.

My perspective is a bit different, I feel not everyone can be judged on the same platform.

All said and done Im just happy that there was no mishap.

Last edited by MihirC : 22nd February 2010 at 13:11.
MihirC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
......And my friend once got fined for holding up traffic on I95 north. He was doing 72 mph on a 70 mile speed limit route, holding back a hundred cars......
Didn't get that, MX6. If he was over the speed limit, why was he fined for holding up traffic? I'd have thought he would have been fined for speeding.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
All said and done Im just happy that there was no mishap.
this is most important.

In India, most of the people try to say IMO or IMHO

but Law is very simple. I will give a example here, my own

i everyday drive on the outer ring road in Bangalore. There is a traffic signal near my office. everyday this singal is not in operating condition. So everyone just passes (squeezes through) by the intersection. Some time there is a cop who tries to streamline the traffic when it becomes messy.

one day, i left office ay 6:45 PM, when i crossed the signal, i was stopped by the policeman. he told me to park the car and get down,

Cop : You have jumped the signal, you have to pay the fine for rash driving.

Me: Signal is not working, i just followed the vehicle in front of me

Cop : Go and check, the signal is working

Me: I just went and found that signal is working. I also found that every one else is also squeezing through w/o considering the signal status.

Me: I could not see the signal, i just followed the vehicle in front of me

Cop : Yes, that is the reason you have to pay the fine RS 100/-

Me: I pulled out RS 100 and paid, he immediately punched the details into the blackberry and gave me a receipt.

Me: Why are you not catching others who jump the signal

Cop: I am alone here, i can't catch everyone. I will catch whom i can catch

So moral of the story:

1. Untill you are not caught, you are a good guy.

2. Law simple, we interprete it in our own way. IMO or IMHO does not make does not make breaking a law a lesser crime.

Hi Mihir, my apologies for pointing out that you were overspeeding.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 22nd February 2010 at 13:51.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:08   #35
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
Didn't get that, MX6. If he was over the speed limit, why was he fined for holding up traffic? I'd have thought he would have been fined for speeding.
That my dear friend is the U S of A. Seems you need to either make way or move out. Holding back peak hour traffic even if you are doing speed limit is also a crime there.

You go too fast, you get flagged down. You hold up traffic, you get flagged down. That's why I never lead a pack while driving in US.
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:47   #36
BHPian

Hi Mihir, my apologies for pointing out that you were overspeeding.[/quote]

No worries about it mate, I was speeding but not rash. And like I saidbefore luckily there wood man.as no mishap so its all g
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
That's why in US, they always catch the guy who leads the pack. I've seldom been caught going second or third in a pack at high speeds.
Well, I may be a case study here. Was caught on I15 doing 94 mph in a 70 mph zone. Actually I was following a BMW who escaped. I was second in the pack and was caught.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:44   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Luckily there was no accident. Both these cars have enough safety features to keep the passengers same from harm(though not from dying).
No level of safety kit can be a substitute for safe driving (Even more so applicable in case of drunk drivers).
Old 24th February 2010, 01:48   #39
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirbhan View Post
Well, I may be a case study here. Was caught on I15 doing 94 mph in a 70 mph zone. Actually I was following a BMW who escaped. I was second in the pack and was caught.
94 is too much. Doesn't matter where you are in a pack at those speeds. As for the Beemer who escaped, I'm sure the cops would have radioed to a trooper or the next county cops!
Anyway, once a cop told me when I asked him why me? He just said, today's my lucky day! I got a citation that day.
I have even overtaken a cop car accidentally on I10 once, doing 85 on a 70 road. Thank god he wasn't much bothered.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks