Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 15:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1head View Post
When I confronted that guy, I was afraid that he could be a criminal, in which case it wouldnt matter to him anyway if he shot me.
You did the wise thing by not prolonging it. Just to add on an incident that took place in broad daylight in DLF Phase V, a few days ago -

Corolla brushed against an Indica at the Genpact traffic intersection, some verbal slanging ensued, the Toyota guy was alone & there were 4 in the Indica. He sensed trouble & decided to move off. The Indica guys gave chase. To cut a long story short, they caught up & overtook him a kilometer down the road, in front of Paras hospital. They came out with rods & started systematically smashing the windscreens & all window glasses. The guy dialled the Police LUCKILY they were in the immediate vicinity & came running.

By that time, the Corolla's windscreen etc were smashed to smithereens. The Cops arrested 3 of the criminals on the spot though God knows how soon thereafter they were released. And all this for what? Perhaps a scratch on the Indica which was already quite scratched!

Better to back off & avoid confrontation. I'm a tad hot-headed myself but I don't push it beyond a point these days. Because, its a thin line.......
Old 26th February 2010, 16:46   #17
BHPian

@f1head - i dont know how old you are, but the way you handled the situation (for your age)is commendable.(since you mentioned your lience is very new and you were on your way back from college, i assume you are a college student not a professor :-))

Though there is no point in talking about the incident anymore, i'll mention what i did in a similar situation. may be you can take a cue from it.

about a year back i was on my way home from office around 11 PM on hosur road, Bangalore. at a junction, there was a gap in the median where on coming vehicles from the other lane takes a U turn or a right turn. this is particularly an accident prone junction and i was driving cautiously. as i approached this junction (Bommanhallli from EC side) at a very low speed, and almost crossed it safe, a call center cab (sumo) from the other lane took a rash U turn and hit my car just after the rear door creating a big dent.

i stopped the car to inspect it. seeing the dent i was enraged and sad at the same time. taking advantage of my shocked state, he backed up and fled. that only fuelled my anger and i chased him and blocked his path. after a little bit of pushing and pulling and a torn shirt he agreed to come the police station which was just across a flyover (silk board) 0.5 kms ahead. i took down his vehicle number and asked him to drive to the PS. but any way, as we approaced the flyover, he cleverly took cover behind a truck, took a left turn and went under the flyover and escaped.

i went to the police station even more enraged decided to file a case against him. as i waited for the inspector who was out on duty (making money), i slowly calmed down and was thinking how stupid i was at that point where i cut him across to stop him. it was a sumo and mine is a Zen. i am already suffering from the impact of sumo kissing my car, definitely i couldnt have taken one more hit.

when the inspector came, i explained the incident to him. he offered me two options - 1. file a case against the driver and drag on with the formalities. he himslef suggested against this especially bcos there is no injury / death caused by the accident.
2. file a report and take a copy which will facilitate the insurance formalities.

i chose the second option, and gave the car to mandovi motors for claims and repair.

of course i am not at all suggesting that you get into a fist fight. in your case, since you caught up with him at the signal, you should've noted down the regn. number and them spoken to him. you also couldve managed some compensation by telling him that you have his number and wont hesitate filing a report. even if he was not willing to pay, you couldve still filed a report and got the insurance claimed.
Old 26th February 2010, 16:49   #18
BANNED

f1head It takes a big heart to leave someone who left a scar on your car. You have a big one for sure don't bother yourself thinking of the loss, probably you will get the good deed in return sometime.

@ALL Around 4 months back, my GF wanted a DL and she was not able to attend the test. Even though there was a broker between us and RTO, the test was MANDATORY. It seems they are very very strict now a days. They do not give you the license unless you pass the driving test.
Old 26th February 2010, 17:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Sorry mods, do not how a Repeat post was created.

Last edited by Sn1p3r : 26th February 2010 at 17:54.
Old 26th February 2010, 17:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

@f1head You did the right thing. Good decision to not stretch, a prolonged fight always results in more hit on pocket, I once persisted with a similar hit and run and the cops tried to make money not only from the driver of the commercial vehicle but also from me.

Secondly, never try to race, catch with people in HR and UP. They will create a scene and then whole village will gather. In Delhi and Gurgaon most big cars carry guns. There have been cases in cantonment where I saw people taking out hockey sticks and cricket bats. Never argue or make gestures as road rage is very evident on roads.

@Zennist: You chased a Sumo dear, I once chased a Truck on NH8 and that too in a M800 I was young then. I stopped the truck by braking in front of the truck to make him stop and then beat both the driver and his helper. They were drunk and I was enraged. Later it stuck me that these guys were drunk and if they would not have braked, what would have happened. Took the keys of the truck and went to the PCR that was stationed at Signature Tower, the men told me to let them go as I would get a FIR for hit and run and can claim from the insurance agency.

Ever since I never try to stop or tried to put sense in anyone's head. In Gurgaon however, I always say Sorry for other's mistakes.
Old 26th February 2010, 18:16   #21
BHPian

@Zennist: You chased a Sumo dear, I once chased a Truck on NH8 and that too in a M800 I was young then. I stopped the truck by braking in front of the truck to make him stop and then beat both the driver and his helper. They were drunk and I was enraged. Later it stuck me that these guys were drunk and if they would not have braked, what would have happened. Took the keys of the truck and went to the PCR that was stationed at Signature Tower, the men told me to let them go as I would get a FIR for hit and run and can claim from the insurance agency.

Man, thats the limits. blocking a truck with an 800!! the cars like 800 & zen has just enough height to stop someone driving above them

it's true that rage actually blinds your eyes and brain. i am learning to say "all ij well"
Old 26th February 2010, 22:29   #22
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement, I feel much much better. , have decided to get the door panel dented and painted, rubbing compound didnt work, will get a quote in 2-3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENnist View Post
@f1head - i dont know how old you are, but the way you handled the situation (for your age)is commendable.(since you mentioned your lience is very new and you were on your way back from college, i assume you are a college student not a professor :-))
I am 21.5, no where near a professor , I do have a Drive Safe Team BHP sticker on my car towards the back, I see it in my rear view mirror and it reminds me to drive safely.
Old 26th February 2010, 23:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good that you kept yourself calm, and just vented it out in terms of giving him some advice. A greater percentage of folks would have blown their top off and ended up getting into a scuffle.

No matter how good or safe a driver you are, there are times when someone will find one way or the other to come and ram into you. I got rear-ended by a guy who was looking for a street to turn into, and he lost control of his minivan. Came and hit my car pretty hard, but I was surprised to see how well the Mazda 3 took the hit. Hardly any scratches from the impact.Been driving for over 7 years in the US, and with almost 5 years of driving around in B'lore this was my 1st incident ever.
Old 1st March 2010, 11:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

@shishir, @suman, @straightdrive, @f1head - I think all these happens because ppl are comfortable having their own law or have the special power of utilizing the law; I'm beginning to see the new problem of not maintaining the law & order in this country; atleast its far better here in Chennai & suman, from the link you provided, the incident is a very recent one. Next time, be it Chennai or Delhi, I'd better shrug off even if its not my fault.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks