Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2015, 14:55   #91
BHPian

Re: Things that irritate/distract you while driving

While High beam from opposite direction is indeed an irritation, high beam of a vehicle following my car/bike is another (even bigger) irritant. Many a times I just let the vehicle pass rather than keep avoiding the high beams.

To avoid oncoming high beams, if a heavier vehicle (tempo/truck/bus) is going at sane speeds, I just follow it for some distance.

Another major irritant is 2 wheeler drivers (mostly elderly people) driving right in line with the left wheel. This irritates me no end because honking has no effect, I cannot overtake them unless its open road and all the while I can see my lane clear.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 15:47   #92
BHPian

Things that irritate/distract you while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Rider View Post
I use the Eastern Express Highway and Santacruz Chembur Link Road almost daily to drive to my work place. I drive within the speed limit and try to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front, but the thing that irritates me is vehicles overtaking from the left and occupying the gap between my car and vehicle in front. When I try to maintain the safe distance from this vehicle, some other vehicle comes in between and this process continues.

It's a RAT race out there on this road. If you leave that so called safe gap, an auto driver is sure to poke its nose in between or a Spider-Man style bike surely cut a corner giving you some heart burns.

For that matter any street in Mumbai and perhaps any other Indian city should be the same.
TMRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 19:46   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
While High beam from opposite direction is indeed an irritation, high beam of a vehicle following my car/bike is another (even bigger) irritant. Many a times I just let the vehicle pass rather than keep avoiding the high beams.

To avoid oncoming high beams, if a heavier vehicle (tempo/truck/bus) is going at sane speeds, I just follow it for some distance.
But, be careful while following a Heavy vehicle to avoid on coming High beams; Make sure the heavy vehicle's brake light is working and visible to you.
Old 28th September 2015, 16:49   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrac View Post
But, be careful while following a Heavy vehicle to avoid on coming High beams; Make sure the heavy vehicle's brake light is working and visible to you.
That reminds me of the time when me and two of my friends were returning from Nashik and it was quite late. My friend who was driving the car, although a very experienced driver was having some trouble with the oncoming headlights that night and then he spotted a road transport bus which was travelling to Pune and decided to follow it.

Only when in one of the towns enroute, the bus turned into the yard and my friend blindly kept following it did we realise the folly of following the ST bus to avoid oncoming glares !!
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 17:27   #95
BHPian

Basically it is a compendium of selfishness and arrogance:

1. Heavy vehicles hogging the right most fast lane and crawling. Dumper, Concrete Mixer, Public Bus, Tractor, Three Wheeled Tempo traveler. Impossible to overtake, and one has to go at their pace. SELFISHNESS.
2. Taking a U-turn on a straight road, and not giving heed to incoming traffic. Specially from the middle of the road. The flow and rhythm of the straight road vehicle is broken and comes to a stand still. Not to forget the rapid deceleration. SELFISHNESS.
3. Taking the "smart decision" to blaze a path of glory from the wrong side at a traffic bottle neck. Making your way through, in turn encouraging others to do the same, resultant: even a larger traffic jam. SELFISHNESS.
4. Honking incessantly from behind. Overtaking, and then glaring at the driver of the vehicle being overtaken. ARROGANCE.
5. Stopping ones vehicle, "manywhere" to disembark passengers. SELFISHNESS.
6. Honking at the red light with totally static traffic. ARROGANCE.
7. Not minding / manning the left lane of ones vehicle. Mantra: Others should manage their own security. Why should I for others. SELFISHNESS.
8. Parking in an obnoxious manner, and not reviewing ones handiwork before leaving. Irrespective, if someone cannot mount their vehicle (specially from the driver side) and walk off. Or occupying two parking spaces, i.e; parking in between two vacant lots. ARROGANCE + SELFISHNESS.
9. On the phone and being totally ambivalent and isolated to the rest of the traffic. SELFISHNESS.
10. Not using turn indicators. SELFISHNESS.
asingh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 14:00   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Oh man! Don't blame me you've got me started now:

Things that irritate / distract mewhile driving:

1. Potholes - Mumbai roads are famous for these
2. Malfunctioning Signal lights
3. Beggars knocking on car windows
4. Urchins wiping the car with their rags
5. Persistent eunuchs who try to touch you and give you unwanted blessings for a quick marriage, getting film roles and male offspring.
6. Rickshaw drivers hogging the fast lane while driving at 20kmph
7. Suicidal pedestrians who suddenly jump in front of your car, prompting you to slam the brakes, horn, high beam and a string of expletives all at the same time!
8. Political posters which block important road signs

Too many to list here actually
I do agree with some points mentioned here, while some others are yet manageable. The full length ground-up banners and cut outs of politicians – his kids, wives, brothers, et-al., which are held on lamp posts at small junctions actually blocks visibility of on-coming traffic from the other end causing large blind spots. No wonder even if somebody misses one entire truck, due to these banners.
Old 7th April 2016, 14:23   #97
BHPian

May not be entirely about driving. This is about parking. I parked near Reliance Footprint in Gachibowli, Hyderabad. This was before they had a designated parking lot. I parked right outside the entrance where the guard was planted firmly on his rusty chair, chewing tobacco...

I went inside, didn't like the shoes and came out. There was a car behind mine and I frantically searched for the guard who was unfazed at the news and said it must one of the guys inside the store. So we (I, my wife, mom, dad) memorised the car number and set off searchingly into the store. We checked with the store manager and he sent a boy to announce the car number on the store's surround speakers.

Having failed to locate the owner, we waited outside like unwanted zombies, gritting our teeth, scratching our heads, arguing with the hapless guard who was insincerely apologetic

It was a terrible day. We waited for an hour. I imagined breaking the other car's windshield, imagined peeling it's bonnet, ripping it's seats to shreds. Above all, I wanted to have a chat with the uneducated idiot who parked right behind my car when there was plenty of room elsewhere.
Old 8th April 2016, 11:15   #98
BHPian

A lot of things irritate me while I am driving or even being driven. I shall try and keep it short and sweet.

While driving:-
  1. Cab/Auto/Bus drivers have a habit of stopping bang in the middle of the road to pick/drop passengers (atleast they do so here in Kolkata). Getting stuck behind them is very annoying and really makes me see red. Moreover it is dangerous for passengers to walk about between traffic.
  2. People not sticking to their lane or driving at crawling speed in the rigth-most lane on a flyover or highway. They don't seem to have any idea about how annoying it is for any vehicle wanting to overtake safely.
  3. People talking on the phone and driving.
  4. Rashly driven cars. Constantly honking/flashing headlights despite there being nowhere to go.
  5. Kolkata has a problem with bikers. Lots of them triple-ride with no helmets. The cops also don't seem to give a damn (they only become strict during the festive season - $$$ time). These idiots keep getting injured or killed but still don't seem to learn.
  6. Not using indicators. This is probably one of the most annoying things. People have a habit of changing lanes or turning without using their indicators. I don't understand how do they not find this dangerous.
  7. Always driving with their dipper switched on.

While being driven:-
  1. I get annoyed with my driver if he does any of the things mentioned in the list above.
  2. My drivers have a habit of trying to get the car moving in 2nd gear (from standstill). This screws up the fuel economy and puts extra load on the engine. The fuel economy on my cars seems to improve every time I drive it and seems to go down when my drivers drive. I have given up on trying to get them to improve their driving style.
Old 8th April 2016, 11:58   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post
Above all, I wanted to have a chat with the uneducated idiot who parked right behind my car when there was plenty of room elsewhere.
Would be interesting to know the perspective of the "idiot who parked right behind" your car. I have been a victim of such misplaced parkings on a couple of occasions. Inadvertently, it turned out to be a lady driver on both occasions who thought they just have a 2 minute errand to run (which again inadvertently stretched onto ~20 mins). So, far from an explanation, I just got a smile and a sorry, for being kept waiting in the sultry Mumbai day.
aviat18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 13:56   #100
BHPian

For me the biggest irritation is my fellow passenger reviewing my driving skills and giving me heads up on various matters I am totally in control of. Below are some sample comments

"Look to right side there is a lady coming, she wont slow down!!!"

"Ohhh that was close, you should have applied break earlier"

"Use the clutch a bit more, you are releasing it too soon"

"Don't dim the lights, see nobody else is doing it"

I get very irritated if anyone is doing this non-stop live analysis of my driving when I am driving. I feel like the fellow passenger is feeling too insecure to trust me to take him/her safe to the destination.

I am open to all suggestions and expert pieces of advice but not when I am driving. Either after or before I get behind the wheel I can take it with a lot of receptiveness. After all driving is an art, I believe, you can only keep improving to reach near perfection but never can master 100%. That is even after having driven many cars on a daily basis for more than 10 years. Every now and then I get to learn something new. There is no absolute mastering of this art.
Renjith_Mani is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed