Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 16:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

@rvmohankumar,

You had almost succumbed to the road rage which is so typical in major metros. Agreed that the guys scratched your car but that does not qualify for chasing them and handing a piece of mind. What if those guys were armed with something dangerous, you would have been on the losing side then. One more imp thing, never ever lose temper when there's crowd gathering. They always tend to support the lesser previleaged. Even if you are not at fault, the crowd tend to look at the "poor things" on the two wheeler. At that too on an emotional base such as going to hospital. Also think maybe their rush is genuine but ofcourse that does not give them right to drive rash.
My opinion would be to take a good look at the situation and the kind of damage that has happened. If its too serious, report to police. If its minor, curse those guys and move on. I know this is not an example to set but the laws in our country neither support you in your actions.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:55   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

rvmohankumar, this is what you should have done:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-time-now.html
Old 8th March 2010, 13:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Once a drunk guy on a Pulsar had banged into my car from behind when I had slowed down at a hump on Bannerghatta road. It was around 11 PM. He fell off from the bike and I helped him get up. I could smell the alcohol his breath, even though he was wearing a helmet. I showed him my broken bumper and asked him if he was going to pay for it. Then 2 local motorcyclists stopped and started arguing with me that it all happens all the time and I should let that guy go. When I said I am going to take him to the police station, one of these guys held my collar and asked me "what is public for". Because there were only 2 such stupid people, I thought i'd take the risk and told him to mind his own business. He gave some bad abuse to me. But by this time, this drunk guy utilised the opportunity and sped off. I tried chasing him, but could not locate him anywhere. Then I went to the police station, but the cops were helpless. They said they can't trace the number WB 16 Q 1760 so easily...

Is Bangalore the only place where the locals fight against locals and help a culprit escape?
Old 8th March 2010, 13:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Best solution.... start taking bus.

Its going to be messier as time goes...with all kind of stupid drivers/riders such idiotic incidents will become common..

rohan, that was a bad experience! and more shocking is not able to trace the vehicles reg in other states...
Old 8th March 2010, 14:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Irrespective of how safely one is driving, what happened when some one (say two wheelers) hit you from behind or side? whom should be blamed?
it happens everywhere, not alone in bangalore (congested cities take more of this kind of attrocities)- It is just a bad day for you .!
Old 8th March 2010, 14:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

I had the same experience with an idiotic biker last week. I was driving my Swift in the Bangalore University campus last week and was going towards Mysore road. At the University gate, there are 2 humps which can be called 'belly scratchers'. I had slowed down pretty much to pass the humps when a moron on an RX comes speeding from the opposite side and overtaking other cars.

The idiot had not seen the humps and he panicked. He braked hard and his bike skidded and came straight into my car. I saw him and swerved to my left, but due to my slow speed and the hump, I could not avoid him.

The result: Both the doors on the right side have deep gashes

I can say that guy was lucky, because he did not suffer any injury and if I had not swerved left he would have been under my car.

I immediately parked my car to the side and caught hold of his bike key and asked him to buzz off. He immediately started apologizing and asked me to give the keys. I asked him to pay for the damages first & he called some of his friends/relatives.

A small discussion took place and I was forced to accept a princely sum of 2.5k as compensation. Luckily for me, they accepted the biker's fault and their defence was that the biker was a coolie worker 7 was not able to afford the repairs

EDIT: MASS's recommend replacing of both front doors and have quoted around 18-20k

Last edited by addyhemmige : 8th March 2010 at 14:58.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:11   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

sickening
i guess you will need to claim insurance - no other go.
and that will cause you to lose your no claim bonus

when will our fellow road users ever learn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I had the same experience with an idiotic biker last week. I was driving my Swift in the Bangalore University campus last week and was going towards Mysore road. At the University gate, there are 2 humps which can be called 'belly scratchers'. I had slowed down pretty much to pass the humps when a moron on an RX comes speeding from the opposite side and overtaking other cars.

The idiot had not seen the humps and he panicked. He braked hard and his bike skidded and came straight into my car. I saw him and swerved to my left, but due to my slow speed and the hump, I could not avoid him.

The result: Both the doors on the right side have deep gashes

I can say that guy was lucky, because he did not suffer any injury and if I had not swerved left he would have been under my car.

I immediately parked my car to the side and caught hold of his bike key and asked him to buzz off. He immediately started apologizing and asked me to give the keys. I asked him to pay for the damages first & he called some of his friends/relatives.

A small discussion took place and I was forced to accept a princely sum of 2.5k as compensation. Luckily for me, they accepted the biker's fault and their defence was that the biker was a coolie worker 7 was not able to afford the repairs

EDIT: MASS's recommend replacing of both front doors and have quoted around 18-20k
Old 8th March 2010, 16:16   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I can say that Bangalore has become quite lawless - there is quite a bit of the "have-nots" vs the "haves" kind of sentiment which underlies such behaviour on the public roads.

You can see it in many places, where locals take the side of the smaller vehicles regardless of whose fault it is.

You can also see it when locals take the side of other locals even if they are at fault, against an "outsider" despite the fact that the poor outsider may have only come to this city to earn a living, pays his taxes regularly and indeed, may not even be at fault at all, in the accident situation!

Predominantly it is (in my opinion) a "have-nots' vs "haves" scenario.

It is also true that people nowadays lack patience, good manners, courtesy and other things which were common just a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Once a drunk guy on a Pulsar had banged into my car from behind when I had slowed down at a hump on Bannerghatta road. It was around 11 PM. He fell off from the bike and I helped him get up. I could smell the alcohol his breath, even though he was wearing a helmet. I showed him my broken bumper and asked him if he was going to pay for it. Then 2 local motorcyclists stopped and started arguing with me that it all happens all the time and I should let that guy go. When I said I am going to take him to the police station, one of these guys held my collar and asked me "what is public for". Because there were only 2 such stupid people, I thought i'd take the risk and told him to mind his own business. He gave some bad abuse to me. But by this time, this drunk guy utilised the opportunity and sped off. I tried chasing him, but could not locate him anywhere. Then I went to the police station, but the cops were helpless. They said they can't trace the number WB 16 Q 1760 so easily...

Is Bangalore the only place where the locals fight against locals and help a culprit escape?
Old 8th March 2010, 16:27   #24
BANNED

Quote:

Doesn't WB stand for West Bengal? The local was riding a WB vehicle?

Any ways, In such cases you can't do much other than curse yourself of being out at the wrong place. It's not safe at all to go out at night. Specially in Bangaluru...
Old 8th March 2010, 16:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

Actually it is not both front doors, but the front & back doors on the right side

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
sickening
i guess you will need to claim insurance - no other go.
and that will cause you to lose your no claim bonus

when will our fellow road users ever learn?
Yep, I have registered a claim. Lets see how much they approve. The no-claim bonus will go , but I do not have any other way.
Old 8th March 2010, 22:19   #26
BHPian

Good that you didn't lose temper. In most of the Indian cities, if you reach back home with no damage to you and / or your vehicle that's an ACCIDENT!
Old 8th March 2010, 22:25   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
Good that you didn't lose temper. In most of the Indian cities, if you reach back home with no damage to you and / or your vehicle that's an ACCIDENT!
This should go to the "Joke" thread.

A VERY nice one.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Doesn't WB stand for West Bengal? The local was riding a WB vehicle?

Any ways, In such cases you can't do much other than curse yourself of being out at the wrong place. It's not safe at all to go out at night. Specially in Bangaluru...
I mean, these locals were fighting against me (I am kinda local :-D ). It doesn't matter if the culprit was an outsider (he was, in my case) or a local. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned that. My apologies.

Later I found out that WB 16 is Hooghly. And there you can't get a vehicle's registration address by sending sms (like you can do for vehicles registered in Bangalore RTOs).

just about a kilometre from where this accident happened, there were a bunch of cops with alcometers (2 inspectors and may constables). They said they did not see any WB registered vehicle passing by (which meant this guy was familiar with the area, and so managed to take some inner roads). They asked me to file a report in the station.

The constable there gave me 2 options: file a complaint against the 2 wheeler and leave the car overnight for RTO inspection, or just get a hit-and-run report by the police for insurance claim. He also told me that the cops have received orders from higher-ups not to stop non-KA vehicles for inspection. And tracing the vehicle's RTO, then getting the address of registration (which would be in WB) and then getting the Bangalore address of the rider is almost impossible.

The constable then took down the bike's number, and my phone number, and said he'll call me if at all he catches this guy. I knew it wasn't of any use.

(He also made me listen to his rants about drivers from certain neighbouring state and people from a certain religion. I didn't like the conversation, so I could only nod to whatever was saying, for over half an hour!!)

I guess we can't blame the cops. We can only blame the system :-(
Old 9th March 2010, 22:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Shankar, local supporting people who can converse in their/local language is common to all cities...

What concerns me is vehicles which are reg in other locations if cant be traced then its a matter of serious concern. i have seen so many of them been driven rashly...
infact its a big concern for all the cities!
Old 9th March 2010, 23:15   #30
BANNED

Quote:
I mean, these locals were fighting against me (I am kinda local :-D ). It doesn't matter if the culprit was an outsider (he was, in my case) or a local. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned that. My apologies.

Later I found out that WB 16 is Hooghly. And there you can't get a vehicle's registration address by sending sms (like you can do for vehicles registered in Bangalore RTOs).

just about a kilometre from where this accident happened, there were a bunch of cops with alcometers (2 inspectors and may constables). They said they did not see any WB registered vehicle passing by (which meant this guy was familiar with the area, and so managed to take some inner roads). They asked me to file a report in the station.

The constable there gave me 2 options: file a complaint against the 2 wheeler and leave the car overnight for RTO inspection, or just get a hit-and-run report by the police for insurance claim. He also told me that the cops have received orders from higher-ups not to stop non-KA vehicles for inspection. And tracing the vehicle's RTO, then getting the address of registration (which would be in WB) and then getting the Bangalore address of the rider is almost impossible.

The constable then took down the bike's number, and my phone number, and said he'll call me if at all he catches this guy. I knew it wasn't of any use.

(He also made me listen to his rants about drivers from certain neighbouring state and people from a certain religion. I didn't like the conversation, so I could only nod to whatever was saying, for over half an hour!!)

I guess we can't blame the cops. We can only blame the system :-(
This is amazing stuff. 2 locals caught a local's collar for an outsider? Boss... If not drunk the other 2 locals on the bike were definitely high on weed and out to save the whole biker community from all the injustice happening to them by bigger vehicles

Anyways, lets not start the old topic of outsiders/locals vs outsiders/locals. Maniacs on road are of different caste and creed. Trust me, people who drive vehicles of a different state registration are more scared than/and careful. I drive one

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks