Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:33   #1
BHPian

India- World No 1 In Road Fatalities. This is probably why!

I always wonder when these surveys and reports come out saying India has the highest rate of road fatalities in the world. Is it really true. Agreed India has a large population but per capita ownership is among the lowest in the world. Plus there's so many thousands of Gods to protect us.

Then a few Sundays ago i saw this:
India- World No 1 In Road Fatalities. This is probably why!-tonys-dhaba-008.jpg

India- World No 1 In Road Fatalities. This is probably why!-tonys-dhaba-009.jpg

India- World No 1 In Road Fatalities. This is probably why!-tonys-dhaba-010.jpg

India- World No 1 In Road Fatalities. This is probably why!-tonys-dhaba-011.jpg

India- World No 1 In Road Fatalities. This is probably why!-tonys-dhaba-012.jpg

India- World No 1 In Road Fatalities. This is probably why!-tonys-dhaba-013.jpg

It was then that an epiphany struck me. Its not because we have poor traffic laws, bad policing or lax policies that there are so many accidents and fatalities:

WE HAVE NO VALUE FOR OUR OWN LIVES!!

When that man saw us taking snaps, he actually turned on the full volume of his roadshow and started doing crazier things. We actually had to back off the gas for fear of an accident. The man is wearing a helmet that will probably only protect his head from bird poop falling from the sky above. And his son (i assume its his son, and hope its not someone else's boy) has on a cotton skull cap. Oh and Bono style shades that flew off on the road

Last edited by 53BHP : 3rd March 2010 at 23:37.
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
thought a poser is pulling a stunt

these pics made me go

Quote:
It was then that an epiphany struck me. Its not because we have poor traffic laws, bad policing or lax policies that there are so many accidents and fatalities:

Hate to agree, but yes, most do not,
though licensing authorities are greater partners in crime along with poor traffic laws, bad policing or lax policies

Quote:
When that man saw us taking snaps, he actually turned on the full volume of his roadshow and started doing crazier things. We actually had to back off the gas for fear of an accident. The man is wearing a helmet that will probably only protect his head from bird poop falling from the sky above. And his son (i assume its his son, and hope its not someone else's boy) has on a cotton skull cap. Oh and Bono style shades that flew off on the road
Seriously do not know what to say,
in that skull, i do not a think a brain is even partly doing its work and asking for leaves,
but that poor boy--God chose a wrong dad for you little fellow,

and this brings to a question-- can something be done with licensing authorities? it is high time i say but road-safety needs to be promoted too, more than what it is being done as of now
Old 4th March 2010, 00:04   #3
BHPian

This is crazy. P/Loser. What on earth does he think he is doing. People like this not only die but also put other motorists in trouble for no fault of theirs.
Old 4th March 2010, 00:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its a true fact, and we see it everyday in the way people behave on the streets. There's really noc are for another person's life, and everything's taken for granted.Its been this way (in most cities) for over 2 decades now.I'm not sure whom/what to blame for this happening.
(On a lighter note, Uncle seems to exhausted after a game of cricket, and the lil hero sure has a bright future as a biker, ahead of himself!)
Old 4th March 2010, 00:19   #5
BHPian

I have seen people in bike with wife, kids in between 2 passanger and on top of a fuel tank jumping a busy signal :( dont know if they really value for their kids life ...
Old 4th March 2010, 01:13   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
(On a lighter note, Uncle seems to exhausted after a game of cricket, and the lil hero sure has a bright future as a biker, ahead of himself!)
If the poor kid makes it to his adulthood, with all this stupidity being programmed into his tiny brain, he would only bring bad name to bikers in general.
Old 4th March 2010, 09:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Even I take my kid by making him sit on the tank to his school. But I never NEVER NEVER allow him to touch the accelerator or anything apart from just hold the bar for the balance and the speed will never go beyond 30kmph when he is on the bike.
Said that this moron has not value for anyone I guess. As sheel said when I saw the first pic in white shirt and helmet I thought he is doing/trying some stunts but NO he is going in directly for the kill. I don't know what to say. I learnt a lesson now that no kids on the front of the bike.
Old 4th March 2010, 09:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well this is sheer madness. The bitter truth is that guy exhibits his irresponsibility as a dad n a motorist putting the life of others in danger.
Old 4th March 2010, 10:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Even I take my kid by making him sit on the tank to his school.
I'm not sure if that is a good idea either.
Old 4th March 2010, 10:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I'm not sure if that is a good idea either.
I know that is not a good idea. But circumstances are making me to do it. But now things have changed. Luckily there is a school van now. So I am off with this thing of carrying on a bike and I am very relieved.
Old 4th March 2010, 10:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know that is not a good idea. But circumstances are making me to do it. But now things have changed. Luckily there is a school van now. So I am off with this thing of carrying on a bike and I am very relieved.
Thats certainly good news. Good going Shishir.
Old 4th March 2010, 10:55   #12
BHPian

wonder what the hell that guy was thinking. Such a moron!

Is it ok in such situations to make him stop and give a piece of mind?
Old 4th March 2010, 11:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Please do make sure that the cure is not worse than the illness. Some of these school vans are absolutely reckless. I suggest you randomly follow the chap a couple of times and warn him if he is driving dangerously.

Srivathsa
Old 4th March 2010, 11:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Most cases the offender will ask you to mind your own business.
Mostly, such people know that the child will suffer severe injuries if the brakes have to be applied in an emergency situation. If they are prepared to take such risks, well, who is to be blamed ? The government or manufacturers ? Unless there is a will to change, nothing can be done.
Typical 'It will not happen to me' attitude.
Old 4th March 2010, 11:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
I always wonder when these surveys and reports come out saying India has the highest rate of road fatalities in the world. Is it really true. Agreed India has a large population but per capita ownership is among the lowest in the world. Plus there's so many thousands of Gods to protect us.

1) In India if you do wrong things, you are considered SMART. If you focus on their smartness, they will try to act smarter and do the wrong activities even more. This is India. Applicable in each and every walk of life in India.

2) The images you have posted above show our mentality. Think what would happen if instead of pulsar they have 2.4ltr Accord/Camry and the kid is let loose. We have seen aftermath of such driving in many posts IIRC. If our mentality is not improving, I dont think that any other parameters are going to improve in our Country.

This person will learn the hard way round. Hopefully he realizes what he is doing quite early before it is too late to recover.

3) Are you shocked at this ? I am not, I have seen worse. I have seen 3-4 year old kids sitting in father's lap when father is driving car without wearing seat belts. And the kids do have their hands on steering wheel. I have seen 6-7 month old kids sitting in mom's or dad's as they( mom/dad) are driving .
I have seen Dad driving car, and kid again, 4-6 years old is standing in the front seat of car. Neither of them are wearing belts. Mom often sitting back actually takes pride in activities of kid when the kid is standing on seat, taking his hand out, trying to get hold on steering wheel, etc.

I have seen 13 year olds ride motorized two wheelers. Parents take pride and say that the " kid is just awesome, so fast to learn new things and he is a rocket when he is driving that two wheeler ". Neighbors and relatives/friends act as catalyst to this phenomenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
wonder what the hell that guy was thinking. Such a moron!

Never ever try to give your piece of mind. I had earlier tried that, but in return got a scolding from the person. A child was sitting in grand fahter's lap in Accord ( latest generation ). GrandFather was not wearing seatbelt. I knocked on his window at traffic junction ( Dr. Ambedkar Statue, GEB, RC dutt road, vadodara ) and told him he was making mistake.
Reply to me was " I have worked hard all my life. I got this success later in my life. I have seen this world more than you. You are just a kid trying to act smart. dont teach me. I am 65 years old..." His lecture lasted 20 mins. He proved that I am a failure as compared to him.

In another instance, I tried to inform parents going on Boxer that its wrong if their child less than 16 years old is riding Scooty. Mom and Dad on Boxer, 13-14 year old son riding scooty, around 16-17 year old daughter riding pillion on scooty. They all were going to restaurant. Got a huge lecture again and this time it was tuitions. I told him that I did cycling for entire std 10 even if my father could have easily afforded a vehicle. Its was 12 km, almost daily. Nobody had time to listen to me.

Stay away from these people and dont try to change them. If you try to do so, they feel you are actually decreasing their smartness and dont want them to come up in life.

@mods : sorry for a long post. I am shocked and angry after looking at the images, so posted my experience.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 4th March 2010 at 11:21.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks