Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 11:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Shocking incident on the Mysore-Bangalore highway

About 2 weeks back I was driving back from Mysore at around 12 am ,when I see 2-3 trucks which had stopped on the RHS of this fast highway.Luckily I wasnt driving on the RHS of this 4 lane highway and I was able to spot them.

My initial guess was that there was a flat tire or maybe some technical problem with the overloaded trucks.

But as i passed the second truck ,i was shocked to see a cop taking money from these drivers!!!(which is common on our roads)

And ..suddenly the first truck tries to drive away as this cop was trying to get into the cabin ...what happens next is the most shocking bit that I have ever come across on our roads!!!

This cop jumps down as he is hanging outside...picks up a big stone and hurls it into the windscreen....and the driver side glass cracks!!!

I was helpless and just couldnt do anything as my cousin and family with a 2 year old kid were inside the car and there were hardly any vehicles on the road.

When I slowed down to a crawl ..the other cop abused me and pointed his lathi at me .

Last edited by speedsatya : 11th March 2010 at 11:18.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have seen instances where the private bus I was in stops in front of a lorry and the cleaner from the bus goes and breaks the headlights of the lorry. The lorry's fault was he was not allowing the bus to overtake for a long distance.
I am not shocked. In our country everyone decides to punish the other personally and not through a system (which does not work or is damn too slow)
Old 11th March 2010, 12:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Now you know who the biggest thugs on the highway are - the cops!
Old 11th March 2010, 12:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

The more I look at our police force, the more disappointed I am. The line between law enforcers and law violators are getting blurred very frequently.

No offense to any one, but is it that the police force is now filled with violators of law? Bringing disrepute the minority (1%?) of honest officers?
Old 11th March 2010, 12:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

I guess the road rage is not just limited to the drivers but also to the cops who man the highways. I have seen the cops inspecting a few vehicles at the Food mall after Khalapur on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. I could see some shady dealings going on. Maybe thats the way they keep themselves busy as I hardly see any patrolling vehicles on the expressway.
One of my office colleague had a harrowing experience when his vehicle broke down on the e-way and the road side assistance was not contactable. he walked to the nearest building about 2Kms which turned out to be a Police station and to his horror found nobody inside. He waited for 1/2 hr but nobody turned up. He took a ride to next toll and returned with mechanic. And guess what he found the Poilce jeep parked right next to his vehicle and they were trying to fine him for parking at the e-way service lane. he finally managed to wriggle out of them and reached Pune but learnt a bitter lesson in bargain.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Satya I have seen them do this a few times. Usually I drive to mysore on late friday nights or early saturday mornings. Once during a friday late night drive to mysore I witnessed a similar incident.

Apparently the cops follow the truck in their motorcycles and find an isolated stretch. Pull them over and ask for money and these fellas were in their uniforms.
Such a disgusting act to say the least.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:22   #7
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Now you know who the biggest thugs on the highway are - the cops!
I second that. They are a menace irrespective where they are. Be it highways, or cities.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Satya I have seen them do this a few times. Usually I drive to mysore on late friday nights or early saturday mornings. Once during a friday late night drive to mysore I witnessed a similar incident.

Apparently the cops follow the truck in their motorcycles and find an isolated stretch. Pull them over and ask for money and these fellas were in their uniforms.
Such a disgusting act to say the least.

Yes ...even these guys were on motorcycles.
I am sure the poor trucker would still be driving with that cracked windshield!!!

I would say ...make cameras on HCV's compulsory... I have buses and trucks in Europe as well as in the US with cameras mounted on them
Old 11th March 2010, 15:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

I'm sorry - what's shocking about this incident? Forget highways. I've seen it in south delhi near Saket - where the weapon of choice was a lathi.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I would say ...make cameras on HCV's compulsory... I have buses and trucks in Europe as well as in the US with cameras mounted on them
And 'black boxes' similar to aeroplanes to record the proceedings.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:41   #11
Team-BHP Support

Drive/Ride after 11pm on Bihar/W.B roads and you WILL spot cops extorting money from Commercial Vehicles
Old 11th March 2010, 16:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

The cops are indeed the biggest thugs on the highways. Second biggest being truck owners who overload the trucks to no limit and make the roads equally dangerous. The drivers have to bear the brunt sometimes sacrificing their life trying to carry overloaded trucks across cities. I travel every weekend to Bombay and there has not been a single day for the last 4 months when I haven't noticed an overloaded truck turned turtle with cabins crushed beyond recognition.

The cops on the Bombay - Pune expressway have adopted a new strategy to pull over speeding drivers. They setup a speed gun about 3-4 kms away from the toll booth and randomly record speeding drivers. The second cop holds wireless radio and pages his accomplices at the toll booth with car details. As soon as you are done paying your toll fees, you have a cop standing right in front of you to welcome you to pay Rs. 2,500/- as fine. Needless to say negotiations are tough and people cough up Rs. 250/- and get away(as informed by a colleague). I have been lucky so far.
Old 11th March 2010, 18:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

given the indian scene there is no surprise that some fellows drove that 'kuber' boat to Mumbai and launch an attach. This is a free country.
Old 11th March 2010, 18:54   #14
BANNED

Ours is a country of goons. No more no less. Of course with some exceptions. Here power is purely wielded for personal benefit.
Old 11th March 2010, 23:58   #15
BHPian

It's again Cops.
I'd a different encounter with traffic cops near Hebbal flyover. I was going with my family and friends, doing 60-70 speed. NO High beam nothing. Suddenly a traffic cop signalled me to park, i slowed down and pulled over to left side. Suddenly i thought everything is right why they stopped me, may be my car number is MH registered, but it's very difficult to read number plates in that fly over.

Before the traffic cop reached i just drove on. I know i did not do any mistake, and they can put any charges to extract money.

Most of them are real pain in A**.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks