Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 11:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

watfor's post about the lecturer reminds me of my Kannada teacher when I was in 9th standard (somewhere in 1995-96). He came to take the class one day after being absent for a few days. Poor guy had a few bruises and bandages on his hands. He told us what happened.
He was riding on his Bajaj Chetak scooter inside the campus and a pedestrian wished him. This guy lifted his hand to say 'namaskara' and lost his balance.
We had a good laugh in the classroom, and he took it sportily :-)
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2010, 20:34   #32
BHPian

I honestly think this is a thread gone terribly wrong. While i agree that the incidents may not have appealed to everyone, i equally feel that aniket did not intend to insult anyone. i started reading the thread as it was titled "Funny" and took the contents in a light spirit. Arguments will only make this further worse. so lets continue to share the funny incidents and move on.
Old 11th April 2010, 15:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
This guy lifted his hand to say 'namaskara' and lost his balance.
I found THIS one funny trying to imagine the scene
Old 12th April 2010, 01:40   #34
BHPian

Here is one from me:
Recently I saw a movie clip in which the hero who is riding on a horse skids with it below the truck when villan brings that 16 wheel truck right in front of him. Then the crowd watching that movie stand up in the movie hall to give a standing ovation.
There was another one recently, where hero riding a bike with a gun in one had and tries to give a head on to a Qualis that has villan aiming him standing out via his cars sunroof! Bang! a noise comes and hero's bike disassembles in more number of pieces that manufacturer had made the bike of but he manages to hit the hero on head and jump on the car behind villan.Though it was highly irritating and amusing but I think these type a stupid stunts inspire a section of drivers called as maniacs by rest of us. And why I am mentioning this? Because the cab in which I was travelling yesterday had driver who was turning around to watch this movie while driving!!! He expression was that of as if he is watching God himself doing these stunt to guide all drivers of the world. And guess what I was doing? Holding myself to all parts of the car I can and reciting Hanuman Mantra.
Old 12th April 2010, 07:51   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

@Anandg : No movie scenes : real life incidents only, pls. Movies are anyway often absurd.
Old 12th April 2010, 10:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes i used to take my zen to Maruti A.S.S. on Bannerghatta road, next to Wockhardt hospital. Once they were servicing an old M800 that belonged to an IIMB professor. The professor looked like a typical genius-but-absent-minded kinds. The service center manager told me that once the professor called him up on the phone and started blasting him for ruining his car as it had stopped in the middle of the road and was refusing to start. When the crew reached the scene, they found that the car had simply run out of petrol!
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2010, 10:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watfor View Post
A friend of mine narrated this incident.

A lecturer of his was on a scooter at an intersection. Now, some 2-3 vehicles were at this intersection and the lecturer wanted to go straight. Well, there's no indicator to tell people you are going straight. No sweat! He pointed his hand straight ahead as if he was on a horse heading for an attack on the enemy and barged straight ahead.

Needless to say, people around him were too busy laughing to crash into him.
Actually that signal is quite correct! Back in the days of good old Rajdoot/Yezdi/Bullet/Chetak/Lamby/Vijay, when there were no indicators on the bikes and only a traffic constable at intersections, this was much in use! But it had to be made before one arrived at the intersection.
Old 12th April 2010, 12:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Sometimes i used to take my zen to Maruti A.S.S. on Bannerghatta road, next to Wockhardt hospital. Once they were servicing an old M800 that belonged to an IIMB professor. The professor looked like a typical genius-but-absent-minded kinds. The service center manager told me that once the professor called him up on the phone and started blasting him for ruining his car as it had stopped in the middle of the road and was refusing to start. When the crew reached the scene, they found that the car had simply run out of petrol!
Similar to this happened to me when I was a new biker on a month old KB-100 RTZ. After first service, when I started the bike and somewhere afrer a KM ride realized the pickup was not normal, there was a lot of smoke from the tail-pipe, immediately went back to the A.S.S. and started shouting on the service engineer. He simply had a good look at the bike and reset the choke switch. I must have engaged choke and forgot about it as I started. We both had a good laugh.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

good god finally the tread has reached where it was supposed to reach ,

So here is another one, one of my team member took a 10 day leave for medical reasons, there was a metal plate which was to be removed from his arm, SO i get a call from a mutual friend saying that there is some guy who is upgrading his ICE and we might get some good deals, both me and my friend who is also a member here decide to have a longer lunch break, so in short we just vanished into thin air after lunch. So wer drove down close to 20KM and finally reached the place of that guy to find this bed ridden team member of mine very well dressed and ready go on a long drive with him, My team members first reaction was boss you here, mine was like holly christ now what will he think of me. My first question was how is your hand? he was like its fine now, and we smiled and soon he just decided to go inside the house and hide himself and so i was also saved a lot of embarassment.

OT: he came to office one day early.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 12th April 2010 at 14:06.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Wifey.
First time after she learnt driving was at the wheel in front of her in laws (my parents). You know how special that moment is now don't you ?

There is no one/cars in the parking lot which is very much open spaced.
She want to take a reverse. She does the right things like adjusting rear mirrors looking back and realizing she will have to take her head out of the window.

She does all that and slots the gear knob in first and looks behind. Inevitably the car moved a little forward and she realised her folly. We all had a good laugh and I tortured her with that incident till the end of the journey.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:56   #41
BHPian

Guys, I don't think throwing bricks at Aniket was a good idea. This is a public forum, we all have freedom of speech. While I agree the narrations were not funny but they sure were thought provoking and amusing.

I will request that instead of brick bats, a PM to Aniket would had been a better idea in case you found them offensive.

If we throw bricks without appreciating others' point of view, we will end up with filtered information and will also demotivate several others from sharing their true experience and point of view.

Please do not flame me, these are my two cents.
Old 12th April 2010, 22:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
That way I liked the concept of volvo buses. Even the driver sits in A/c. Unlike the earlier ac coaches where the drivers had a separate cabin and we have to open a door to get in to the seating area.
Overheard this one in one of mumbai's new a/c buses (kinglong) Man1 speaking with Man2, a seat ahead of me.
Man1 : I hate these new a/c buses, I think the previous a/c bus was better
Man2: Why?
Man1: Coz in those the driver was outside (the cabin was divided with a/c section for passengers alone)
Man2: So?
Man1: These drivers get more charbi sitting in a/c. Their true place is in the non a/c section, they would perform well
Man2: Yes i agree.

Both of these morons were educated mnc banker types with the typical blackberry and laptops....
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Actually that signal is quite correct! Back in the days of good old Rajdoot/Yezdi/Bullet/Chetak/Lamby/Vijay, when there were no indicators on the bikes and only a traffic constable at intersections, this was much in use! But it had to be made before one arrived at the intersection.
No sir, this straight ahead indication is not correct though it was prevalent. There is no indication for going straight, since that is the default condition. There should not be any indication for the default condition. You indicate only when you change direction and if it is a hand signal, only with your right hand since we drive on the left hand side and overtake on right. What I say is only theory and on road none of us care to follow this.
Old 6th May 2010, 12:34   #44
BHPian

1988 was the year. A well known family friend drove in what would be our first ever vehicle - A Bajaj Super Scooter. Each and every emotion that we had at that moment of time will make it to the top 10 moments in my life list - To put it in the perspective, I don't think buying even a Merc today would bring in the same feelings - It was indeed very special - I trust most of the Indian Middle Class families would have gone through this in those times. Dad was quite disappointed because he couldn't make it to the dealer for the delivery and hence the vehicle was brought by uncle.

Dad was very late from office, so, all he did was push the vehicle over a plank and into the hall - This is yet another rampant practice in those days that whatever be the two wheeler at home - it would invariably be pushed into the hall before the family hits the bed - Do we have any people driving in their costly porsches' into their halls with the same rigor??

Day 2 - It was a Saturday and Dad took a leave - Yet another practice that is almost dead. So, we were all ready - wearing the best outfits and ready to take a ride. We have special sweets prepared at home for the grand occasion. Heavily loaded, we took out the scooter.

Uncle told us that he has loaded it full with petrol. So, there is nothing that was needed to be done. Dad does the usual jig of starting a Bajaj scooter - engage the choke, bend it to a side and then kick start it - It doesn't start. Dad tries it again, it doesn't start. The attempts go on and on and on - It just doesn't start.

Saturdays are working days in those days and hence getting immediate help was difficult - So, dad takes out the sparkplug - there is nothing wrong to be seen with the plug - neither did we knew as to what needs to be seen - Just that the manual read - check spark plug - so, we opened it and 'checked'.

The next one hour was the me being the most studious person in my life - never read anything with so much concentration - read the entire manual. Scooter still won't start. Finally, by around 4 PM, after making 2 hours of continuous effort, we give up. I go and call up my uncle (the one who drove it from the dealership) - I call him up as if he is accountable for having goofed up with my Dad's hard earned money - I was 10 years old then, so, not my mistake. Anyway, he comes up and checks a few things here and there, stares at my dad and calls all of us inside the house so that we have catch up with a breather. Mom makes some tea for everyone and while sipping tea, uncle slowly tells my Dad - "You forgot to turn the ignition switch on"

The Switch remained on for the rest of the 14 years of trouble free scooter - Never was it touched again. Neither did the scooter see a mechanic again - 14 years of trouble free driving after the initial Jolt.

Last edited by bbkp : 6th May 2010 at 12:35.
bbkp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2010, 12:44   #45
BANNED

On my way back to Bangalore from the airport. Stopped for some refreshments in a coffee shop.

While sipping on some cold fruit drink. I see this cherry red Nano come into the parking area, stops. The driver(chauffeur) gets off quickly and opens the rear door and out steps a lady wearing clothes and jewellery that was probably worth more then the Nano itself. Amazing. Only in India possibly.

Made my day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks