Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 21:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
On my way back to Bangalore from the airport. Stopped for some refreshments in a coffee shop.

While sipping on some cold fruit drink. I see this cherry red Nano come into the parking area, stops. The driver(chauffeur) gets off quickly and opens the rear door and out steps a lady wearing clothes and jewellery that was probably worth more then the Nano itself. Amazing. Only in India possibly.

Made my day.
And the Nano was supposed to be made for the common man, who couldn't afford a lot? You said it, it happens only in India.
Old 6th May 2010, 22:09   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
And the Nano was supposed to be made for the common man, who couldn't afford a lot? You said it, it happens only in India.
Exactly. I had a broad smile on my face the whole day. Only in India
Old 6th May 2010, 22:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
On my way back to Bangalore from the airport. Stopped for some refreshments in a coffee shop.

While sipping on some cold fruit drink. I see this cherry red Nano come into the parking area, stops. The driver(chauffeur) gets off quickly and opens the rear door and out steps a lady wearing clothes and jewellery that was probably worth more then the Nano itself. Amazing. Only in India possibly.

Made my day.
After a recent visit to the jewelery shop, it looks like most women will wear gold jewelery worth more than a Nano.
Old 6th May 2010, 22:46   #49
BANNED

Quote:
The driver(chauffeur) gets off quickly and opens the rear door and out steps a lady wearing clothes and jewellery that was probably worth more then the Nano itself.
Well that's quite expected by ladies. Jewel is always their 1st preference and ofcourse only in India
Old 7th May 2010, 02:10   #50
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Well that's quite expected by ladies. Jewel is always their 1st preference and ofcourse only in India
Well. It's OT but still worth putting it here. The preference for Jewels is universal amongst women. Every country has it's share of stories. Remember, diamonds are a girl's best friend wasn't sung by gangubai hangal or lata mangeshkar. Queen Victoria's passion for jewels is well known too!
Old 7th May 2010, 10:04   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Well. It's OT but still worth putting it here. The preference for Jewels is universal amongst women. Every country has it's share of stories. Remember, diamonds are a girl's best friend wasn't sung by gangubai hangal or lata mangeshkar. Queen Victoria's passion for jewels is well known too!
Well, I don't know if this has to be said about ladies from other countries, but, ladies in India are in a different league on the aspect of usage of Jewellery and dresses. They always want a new one for every occasion. 7 years of married life had me buying silk sarees worth about 1.5 lakhs and gold jewellery that just cannot be accounted for. On every occasion, I request wifey to use some of the existing stuff and she would say - other ladies will come to know that I am wearing a used saree / jewellery and samaaj mein naak kat jayegi - I want to tell her that she has no right to cut me to save her nose - Still, being a typical indian husband, I relent.

Makes me really wonder - Do women come to attend the wedding / occassion OR to see and keep a track of who is wearing what - to the extent of memorising it. Seriously costly affair this.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:17   #52
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
Well, I don't know if this has to be said about ladies from other countries, but, ladies in India are in a different league on the aspect of usage of Jewellery and dresses. They always want a new one for every occasion. 7 years of married life had me buying silk sarees worth about 1.5 lakhs and gold jewellery that just cannot be accounted for. On every occasion, I request wifey to use some of the existing stuff and she would say - other ladies will come to know that I am wearing a used saree / jewellery and samaaj mein naak kat jayegi - I want to tell her that she has no right to cut me to save her nose - Still, being a typical indian husband, I relent.

Makes me really wonder - Do women come to attend the wedding / occassion OR to see and keep a track of who is wearing what - to the extent of memorising it. Seriously costly affair this.
Well, the difference between the west and India is that women (not generalising) make a pauper out of husbands when they are married here. Over there in the west, they make paupers out of husbands during the divorce. Look at all famous people in west who had divorces, it's a defining moment for them.
Old 7th May 2010, 22:48   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Well, the difference between the west and India is that women (not generalising) make a pauper out of husbands when they are married here. Over there in the west, they make paupers out of husbands during the divorce. Look at all famous people in west who had divorces, it's a defining moment for them.
Looks like someone has done quite a study about women
Old 8th May 2010, 18:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:

Made my day.
In chennai almost most of the Nano's I see are driven by chauffeurs. I really dont understand why get a 1.5L vehicle and employ a driver for 10K. In 1.5 yrs you would have paid the driver more than that for the vehicle. Moreover, Nano's back seat are suppose to be not as comfortable as the front ones. Atleast sit next the driver. You aint riding a Merc to enjoy a comfortable back seat.
Old 8th May 2010, 18:15   #55
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Looks like someone has done quite a study about women
One learns quite a lot from studying women! Women have changed the course of history many a times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
In chennai almost most of the Nano's I see are driven by chauffeurs. I really dont understand why get a 1.5L vehicle and employ a driver for 10K. In 1.5 yrs you would have paid the driver more than that for the vehicle. Moreover, Nano's back seat are suppose to be not as comfortable as the front ones. Atleast sit next the driver. You aint riding a Merc to enjoy a comfortable back seat.
I guess it's more to do with a second car syndrome or the new upgrade from 2 wheeler syndrome. People would have bought the nano as a second car for home use so would have employed the services of a driver to chauffer around their spouses/ mothers/ sisters. Else the person would have just upgraded from a pair of wheels to two and is now afraid of the menace he used to cause as a two wheeler rider himself and hence being knew to driving a 4 wheeler safely resorts to a driver till he perfects the art of driving!
Old 9th May 2010, 12:04   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
1988 was the year. A well known family friend drove in what would be our first ever vehicle - A Bajaj Super Scooter.
I can so relate to this incident. And indeed many of us here.
This post brought back memories.
Old 10th May 2010, 09:41   #57
BHPian

Quote:

One learns quite a lot from studying women! Women have changed the course of history many a times!
Why just history - they can change the course of the present and the future too. Ask the IPL Bosses

@ KRRaj,

Well - a few vehicles are national icons and shouldn't have been taken out of roads according to me - Hamara Bajaj, Royal Enfield Bullet (the original CI engine block), Yamaha RX100, Maruti 800 and Ambassador - I doubt if ever there is going be any other vehicle as legendary as these.

Last edited by bbkp : 10th May 2010 at 10:00.
Old 10th May 2010, 10:24   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think it is a case of engaging a driver on daily basis to take family members around when the owner is not available, rather than engaging a driver on monthly basis. It happens with almost all the cars but attracts attention when it happens on a nano!
Old 10th May 2010, 10:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many reasons:
- Those who buy don't know driving.
- Buy Nano as a status symbol
- Drivers are hired in general on daily basis as and when needed.
- Sitting next to driver is still considered as 'low-status'.
Old 10th May 2010, 10:57   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Well - I think most of this is because people don't know how to drive. The Nano has ample leg space in the rear and with the whole bench being all yours in the rear, it offers a bigger seat than the front seat. Engine being the rear for the Nano, I think, the rear seat shall offer a much better ride as the weight of the engine is already damping the suspensions.

In any case, what's wrong in posing posh with a Nano - afterall it has enjoyed and still enjoys more attention than the Merc . Maybe another 2 or 3 years later, the story might be different.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks