Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 22:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone. Somehow feel better after talking about it in team-bhp.

It is a two-way junction actually. The road in which I was waiting has a left turn and a right turn. The right turn had a red signal. The left was a free left, but traffic was preventing the vehicles from moving. So I was trying to stay on the left side, just right of the two-wheeler. It happened at 8 PM today.

Now going to search the forums about how to claim insurance. Never done it before. Is there anything like it has to be done immediately? (because I have other plans for Saturday)... Also, will insurance people ask for FIR, and will they accept if I say that I dont have the reg number of the vehicle who hit me?
Old 12th March 2010, 22:14   #17
MX6
Senior - BHPian

You don't require FIR or truck numbers for claiming insurance as it's going out of your insurance. I'd say take it at the earliest.
Take your vehicle to the *** and narrate what happened. You may also call your insurance people from there. Normally most of the places there would be cashless benefits. You'd immediately get to know what you need to pay, how long it's gonna take for your car to be back in good shape again (the repair time), how much the insurance will pay and the set of docs you need to fill, sign etc.
If there are some minute scratches around, ask the *** whether they can fix that too. All the best.
Old 12th March 2010, 23:09   #18
p$p

FIR is required only in case of death/fatal injury, theft or criminal act that may have been the cause of damage. Ideally, you need to intimate the insurance company about the accident/damage within 7 days. Claim can lodged within a reasonable time.
Old 13th March 2010, 05:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Aargee. You should have given both those moron's tight slaps and said "sorry saar, kaduppula kaiya veesinen. Kadasila nirutha mudiyalai (Sorry sir, I waved out of frustration, but couldn't stop my hands in the end).
I'm in full LOL
Would like to do it, but, think about the consequences, like, if this guy walks up to police station, lodges a self complaint that he hit my car & the car guy hit him back physically; Man, that becomes one hell of mess; this guy may be VIP (Vellai Illa Pattadhaari) (Jobless), but I could've deliverables on the day when I need to be in the police station; so just shrug off & move - it not only saves my day, but also the mess.

@Rajushank - Yes, you don't need an FIR, you can easily get off saying self damage.
Old 13th March 2010, 07:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

This happened when I was in Bangalore, my house used to be on Charles Campbell Road with lot of traffic at quite a pace (being one way) so always used to park my car in reverse into my house rather than reverse the car out of the house.

One fine day I waited for some time until the traffic more or less cleared to reverse the car. A guy in Yezdi bangs into my car right at the same spot as Raju's pics show. He promptly said...sorry sir Yezdi the brakes are poor...see I tried hard to stop...showing the tyre marks.

I have been hit by a car as well when I was on a two wheeler (good 15 years back) at the Valluvar Kottam signal. When you come from KH road you have two signals next to each other which is synchronized, it was drizzling hence decided to slow down and stop in the second signal when it moved to amber after showing hand signals and what not a good 5 seconds later I have a car hitting me from behind throwing me down fortunately was wearing a helmet so no harm done, the damage to my bike was limited to the side box etc. You know what was the reason...the owner sitting in the back seat wanted his driver not to stop since he wanted to get back to Salem fast. With his hurry I don't know if he actually went to Salem or somewhere else.

While Bikers of today are generally impatient and create all sorts of troubles for 4 wheelers I don't think 4 wheelers are angels as well.
Old 13th March 2010, 07:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

I got exactly the same dent (on my M800) at the rear panel about three years ago.

I heard a loud thud while I was relaxing upstairs in my home. Thinking it to be the usual case of an accident (which happens so frequently at an intersection nearby), I went down to help. Only to realise that it was me who needed help Some auto guy had hit my parked car and damaged my rear panel, and sped off before anybody could even take his number!

I got the dent fixed for 2k at my neighbourhood tinkering & painting workshop. He did a good job. I could not make out any color difference. I sold this car last year (to buy my Scorpio). Now when I think of it, there were no questions asked by the customer regarding any color change or dents (pray the customer does'nt read this!)

Last edited by mooza : 13th March 2010 at 07:28.
Old 13th March 2010, 08:00   #22
p$p

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Rajushank - Yes, you don't need an FIR, you can easily get off saying self damage.
FIR is NOT required (self-damage or otherwise) - except in cases stated before at post #18.
Old 13th March 2010, 12:28   #23
BHPian

i had a similar hit from Govt. Railways lorry, he apologised saying vehicle jerked due to clutch slip and was gentle enough to offer repainting at govt workshop. Left the place crusing my bad luck and made insurance claim for repairs .
Old 13th March 2010, 14:13   #24
mkh
Senior - BHPian

2 things one can do in indian traffic
1- learn to ignore and be calm, claim insurance OR have loads of money to just go and get things repaired( once in a couple of years maybe)
2- Get Munna Bhai to be your driver, every time someone messes up, he can get out and ask the guy to cough up cash( assuming the offender has any!)
On a more serious note- cars in india are more to protect us from morons, so not a big deal if idiots like this truck guy do some damage, at least you are protected!( which may not be the case if you are a 2 wheeler)
Thank God you have a car and work hard to earn more!
Old 13th March 2010, 15:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
On a more serious note- cars in india are more to protect us from morons, so not a big deal if idiots like this truck guy do some damage, at least you are protected!( which may not be the case if you are a 2 wheeler)
This is exactly what my mom and grandma said as soon as I got home. Ironically, yesterday morning was when I was mulling over selling my bike and using the car as a primary means of transport (not for fear of accidents - that is a different story), and the same evening this happens, and incidentally my mom & grandma said exactly what was going on in my head: "Please go to office by car everyday, dont use the bike" though it is for different reasons.

Drove over to the A.S.S (OMR Checkpoint) today. The advisor said it will cost around 3k, and they will paint not only the damaged part, they will paint the whole area from top to bottom (what he called "that piece"). He said it may take 4 or 5 days if I claim insurance, and will get part of the money. On the other hand, I can have the car by Monday if I pay out of my pocket, which I opted to do (need the car for too many things next week).
Old 13th March 2010, 15:12   #26
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Drove over to the A.S.S (OMR Checkpoint) today. The advisor said it will cost around 3k, and they will paint not only the damaged part, they will paint the whole area from top to bottom (what he called "that piece"). He said it may take 4 or 5 days if I claim insurance, and will get part of the money. On the other hand, I can have the car by Monday if I pay out of my pocket, which I opted to do (need the car for too many things next week).
There's one more thing good in this. You get your car quicker. Your no claim bonus is intact. Anyway, the max you'd have benefitted with Ins is may be 2K out of the 3K.

See whether your A.S.S. can keep this minor thing out of the car records since you are paying off your hand. That will be a good thing too. (if you claim insurance it mandatorily goes in to the records).

And 3K is what I predicted too. Guess it's time to kick this lousy job in IT and become a mechanic!
Old 13th March 2010, 20:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Whoa!!! Boy, I never knew I was going to post such an incident here, even when I was replying to MX6's comments this morning. I let the pics speak

The Moron
Truck bumped into my car and ran away!-picture-003.jpg
His damage
Truck bumped into my car and ran away!-13032010_001.jpg
My damage
Truck bumped into my car and ran away!-picture-002.jpg

Expenses now - Around 6.5K to rework on the complete right quadra panels & new rear bumper, labour, tax & everything put together; still in a dilemma whether to go in for insurance claim or not.
Old 13th March 2010, 20:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post

Is there any lesson I should learn from this?
Very painful to say the least. However, the lesson to be learnt is these are to be expected on Indian roads. I didn't mean to be rude but realistic. On the flip side, even if you managed to note the number down, what best could / would you've done? You would have gone to the police station and lodge a complaint - right? Going by my experience, it's very unlikely the police would file an FIR and help you trace the truck (driver) and make him pay for the damage. If you've the "right" contacts, you may achieve that.
Now, the reality, put this incident on your RVM; don't etch it on your memory. Thank your stars for having a valid insurance and pray to get the max they will be kind enough to give. Thank God (unless you're an atheist) that nothing worse happened.
I've heard of stories when the victims confronted the wrong-doers they were given more trouble (by the trouble-makers themselves).
Old 13th March 2010, 20:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
You would have gone to the police station and lodge a complaint - right? Going by my experience, it's very unlikely the police would file an FIR and help you trace the truck (driver) and make him pay for the damage. If you've the "right" contacts, you may achieve that.
@Iluvcars - Trust me, cops in TN, atleast in Chennai are real good; I'm talking this from two of my experience; at the slip of your toungue, they will file FIR for you & no contacts required; however as you say, the guy will land up paying 400 or 500 as fine & get away & we don't get anything other than losing our time for making him pay peanuts.
Old 13th March 2010, 21:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Whoa!!! Boy, I never knew I was going to post such an incident here, even when I was replying to MX6's comments this morning. I let the pics speak
Whoa! How did this happen ? Are your tail lamps intact.

Please provide a description.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks