Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 10:11   #1
BHPian

Mantri Square at Malleshwaram...a traffic nightmare?

I had to visit Dr.Giridhara Gaje in Malleshwaram last saturday and planned it such a way that i can also do some shopping in the newly opened Mantri Square mall @ Malleshwaram (start of sampige road).
I reached the mall by evening 4:30 PM. Then itself i found it difficult to get to the left most lane coming in from Seshadripuram road as the mall is situated right were the platform road (from left) and the Seshadripuram road (from right) merge. The mall was very big and had a huge car parking area. At that time itself the Spar Hypermarket inside was very crowded. We went to the lifestyle outlet, did some purchase and decided to check out the Spar. But time was about 7 PM now and Spar is letting people in only in batches. As we were carrying 2 infants we decided to skip Spar and proceeded to meet our doc appointment.
By the time we came out from the clinic (by 8:30 pm), we found almost all roads leading in and out of Malleshwaram choked with heavy traffic and jam. I suspect this is mainly due to the Mantri Square mall. It is situated on a one-way road and to get back to majestic/race-course road, one has to get into Sampige road, take right turns and come back into the same Seshadripuram road and then instead of taking right to the mall, take left to platform road. This in effect forms a loop wherein most of the vehicles leaving the mall will join the vehicles proceeding towards the mall .
Anyway though we started by 8:30 PM from Malleshwaram, we were able to get out of that area only by 10:00 - 10:15.
I expect this problem to remain the same unless traffic police could come up with some traffic diversions to ease out the traffic.
Any of you BHPians had similar experience last weekend?
Old 15th March 2010, 11:39   #2
BHPian

was stuck at Sampige theatre junction for 2 hrs and the best part is my home is 900metres from this junction
Old 15th March 2010, 11:43   #3
J.Ravi

This is the present situation. I dread to imagine the situation after inauguration of Inox multiplex with 6 screens, which is expected shortly.

Old 15th March 2010, 12:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of the north bound BMTC buses always pass this place and the situation can only get worse now. We must be thankful to BBMP for going the extra mile to clog Malleshwaram too. A mall on a wide road with proper service lanes can allow easy entry and exit but on Sampige Road this is impossible and this new mall will only add to chaos.
But, who cares? After all, we are so used to hypes now that we proudly mention that even "I" was a part of that Jam on that road on that day !!
I can only sympathize for all those who are living beside this mall who will have to bear the brunt now.
Old 15th March 2010, 12:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont worry guys, the novelty will soon wear out & only normal shopping will start. Today, lot of people are going there since the place is new.

On the brighter side, the other shopping malls will be a little less crowded because the BLR North & west crowds will go more to Malleswaram than the other places.

Soon the corporation will cut down those trees and we will have more space.

Last edited by condor : 15th March 2010 at 12:41.
Old 15th March 2010, 12:45   #6
J.Ravi

Car parking is free up to 16 March 2010.

Old 15th March 2010, 12:49   #7
BHPian

expect the novelty to wear out real soon, once the parking charges are in place most ppl will avoid it and moreover on saturday people had parked haphazardly on the main road and this led to major bottle necks in the area. i was stuck my self fo almost 2 hours that too on a bike. had i walked up i would have reached home in 15 minutes flat
Old 15th March 2010, 14:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
After all, we are so used to hypes now that we proudly mention that even "I" was a part of that Jam on that road on that day !!
I can only sympathize for all those who are living beside this mall who will have to bear the brunt now.
There is nothing to be proud about this. Imagine having 2 infants and an angry/upset wifey all for yourself in a car for 3 long hours.
I am not very sure whether the wearing out of the initial hype will bring much change in traffic issues associated with the mall. At least all weekend evenings i think this story would continue more or less.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_mouli View Post
There is nothing to be proud about this.
Absolutely!!
..and hence we have this thread dedicated to one more such new jam in the making.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:33   #10
BHPian

Oh man, when this Mall was being constructed - i was telling my wife the same thing. Malleswaram was not such a bad place except for peak evenings. But this is pathetic. As someone mentioned, i can foresee Cut Trees in the beautiful Sampige road and the widening story all over again.

Well, frankly - i would have lived with mass commercialization of areas around Malleswaram/Rajajinagar.

I think we can wait for a month before the hype of the new mall vanishes and hope normalcy is restored.

I am very very scared of the Brigade opening up the Mall/Office/Apartments on Dr.Rajkumar road. Since Rajkumar road is being used currently to connect Majestic to Tumkur road - it is going to be really bad.

I was working in a firm which had plans to open up a HUGE campus which housed 20 building of 5 floors each. To do that, my company had to pay a lot to the local government so that they can make sure there is no traffic bottlenecks and no hardship is caused to folks. This included broadening of roads in the area around the campus.
PS: This is out of India.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

It was even worst on Sunday evening. All roads around that area were grid locked. I could see only cars and 2 wheelers parked in each and every possible place around that area.
We somehow managed to come out of that Jam and reached Big Bazaar, Malleswaram. Then i see a Ambulance entering Link Road with the siren on . The enterance to the road itself was jammed and the ambulance was waiting for the people to leave some place. What a pity!!
Old 15th March 2010, 14:38   #12
BHPian

I was struck for only 5 mins. @ 8.15 pm on Seshadri Main Road. Luckily I was riding my Bike on Saturday. Many good samaritan Bikers advised me to take a U turn, since the entire stretch is blocked. So, I took a U turn and entered Kumarakrupa Road and then proceeded towards Basavanagudi.

On Sunday, I didn't take any chances and went through Airport Road and then on to Corporation Circle.

The Sampige Road is always crouded and the initial euphoria of this Mall will not die down atleast on weekends. So, the authorities have to make some alternatives.

Off Topic - They should've named it as Mantri Reliance Square, since all the stores of Reliance are available under One Roof.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:43   #13
BHPian

Sadly, my aged parents were a part of this. They were exhausted!

That place was a mess, and now it will increase much more. Sigh! There are no alternate roads to take also.

Only one crowded one via Okalipuram is also a major deviation. seems like kumarakrupa road is going to be a better alternative to take to cross over to the other side of the city.

Now a need for a flyover will be sorely felt. (or has it been created?)
Old 15th March 2010, 14:57   #14
BHPian

the place is a nightmare. Traffic jams on the outside and insane human traffic on the inside!! Mistake was that I went on a sunday evening!! wowie!! crazy!!
Old 15th March 2010, 15:16   #15
BHPian

The mall is very good indeed. But some prior traffic planning had to be done. I feel Mantri should volunteer and construct a ramp into the mall. As someone else mentioned, after the initial curiosity crowd and once they charge for parking, I feel the traffic situation should improve. I still cant forget the chaos when central/Garuda mall opened. Now, it is a different story.

On a side note, I visited this place by bus (I knew this mess would happen ) I must say it was a far easier experience. Folks, I suggest you park about 2Km ahead and take bus or auto. Better still, take the bus for the entire journey.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks