Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 11:56   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Car vs Animals - What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht'snotME View Post

i'm feeling bad about hitting a dog,but i'm also thinking nothing happened to my family that what i did was correct. what would have happened if i have swerved to right hitting the median(i dare think).
There is nothing you could have done. If it was a day, you could have spotted the dog much earlier because the field of vision is not limited to the road ahead and you are also aware of what is happening in the surrounding. I believe dogs also get unsettled because of the glare and cant judge the speed at which the vehicle is approaching them.
Old 9th October 2012, 16:32   #77
BHPian

i20 Bumper cracked - My encounter with a dog.

Hi,

I would like to share an accident that happened to my car last friday mid night. I was travelling from Trivandrum to Kochi. When I reached near Kollam a street dog suddenly jumped infront of my car. As it was so close and i was cruising at 120 I couldn't stop the car. The dog hit the car and it was shattered into pieces

Now the condition of my car's bumper is like this. The fog lamp was broken, bottom part of the bumper cracked. The windshield washer tank also broken.
The service center guy said bumper needs to be replaced and it alone would cost 6000 bucks.

Car vs Animals - What to do?-1.jpg

Car vs Animals - What to do?-2.jpg

Car vs Animals - What to do?-3.jpg

Car vs Animals - What to do?-4.jpg

Does anyone have any idea about how much it costs for the i20 front bumper,
front fog lamp and the windshield washer tank.

Thanks,
Noble.

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2012 at 10:31. Reason: Uploading pictures as attachments
Old 9th October 2012, 17:09   #78
Senior - BHPian

re: i20 Bumper cracked - My encounter with a dog.

You are lucky. Dog hits can even cause radiator and engine damage.
Old 9th October 2012, 17:21   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblecr View Post
Hi,
The dog hit the car and it was shattered into pieces
I wonder if the dog survived the hit. Poor fellow (the dog).

P.s. Ignore the OT post if you feel so. Somebody has to feel for these poor animals too.

Edit: A post on the i20 thread would be more fruitful than opening a separate thread I feel. Share your post details there, and you might get a speedy revert.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 9th October 2012 at 17:23.
ninjatalli is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 17:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

I think you can drive with the bumper fixing the fog light and washer.

Else use insurance and get the bumper replaced, the lights fixed and the washer system fixed.

The bumper has very minimal damage considering the impact.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 17:41   #81
Senior - BHPian

i20 at 120. The damages are minor but the fact remains that the bumper needs to be changed as though repairs are possible would be easily noticeable too for body coloured ones. Better change it. If the car is less than an year old claiming in Insurance is advisable provided you don't carry the carried over NCB.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 17:48   #82
BHPian

My humble condolences for the departed soul as well as the damaged i20.

I do agree that there's little one could have done in a situation as such because braking and steering away may have worse consequences. Having said that, I do not mean to be rude to the animal either. It's just about weighing the various options in a split second. Been there, done that.

I really do not think it's worth replacing the bumper for a damage like this unless you want it spick and span. Maybe what needs urgent attention is the windshield washer IMO.
mempheS.D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 17:54   #83
MAS
Senior - BHPian

You are extremely fortunate that the dog hit your bumper and you got away with it. My friend suffered a "dog-hit" in his i20 and had damage to the radiator and bonnet. He had to spend close to 50K for the damage.

The bumper does not look too damaged and unless you are particular about the car to look its best, you can repair the bumper and continue to use them.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 18:00   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I reached near Kollam a street dog suddenly jumped infront of my car. As it was so close and i was cruising at 120 I couldn't stop the car.
Dont want to sound like a preacher but,
a. You cant call driving at 120 "cruising". Its called "overspeeding"
b. As you approach a city, expect more uncertainities and reduce your speed.
amitoj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 18:49   #85
BHPian

Very sad to hear about the incident. Heart felt sorry for the dog. But I must say sir you are lucky the damages are minimal! Especially at 120 kph. Thank god you are safe. Car can get really damaged in such situations and car can loose control.

I would suggest get the bumper repaired from a local guy. Not worth spending so much. Get hold of a good car repair place and just get bumper and washer bottle fixed. It will not cost much. And these guys do a good job. Especially because they "FIX" not "REPLACE" every damn thing.
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 19:27   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblecr
Does anyone have any idea about how much it costs for the i20 front bumper, front fog lamp and the windshield washer tank.
Like some others mentioned, the bumper does not look damaged enough to be replaced, at a high cost too. Fix the washer-fluid tank and the fog-lamp, which are important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblecr
I was travelling from Trivandrum to Kochi. When I reached near Kollam a street dog suddenly jumped infront of my car. As it was so close and i was cruising at 120 I couldn't stop the car.
Good that you did not try saving the dog at that speed by swerving - could have turned dangerous at those speeds. BTW, where exactly at Kollam was this ? And also, how do you even manage to reach 3-digit speeds (let alone cruise) on that 2-lane median-less road called NH-47 ? On the Kollam - Alappuzha stretch, I find even 80kmph as a dangerous speed, given the traffic, lack of median, people crossing the road with gay abandon etc. I do that road frequently and it is 60kmph cruising for me. Also maybe something to do with getting older too.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 23:21   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have any idea about how much it costs for the i20 front bumper,
front fog lamp and the windshield washer tank.
Noble, a repair like this can cost thousands in the A.S.S. As they will fit new bumpers and paint it (~7-8k) and fit new fog lamps, which is again ~5000bucks. Windsheild washer tank might be cheaper.

My advice is, as the i20 sells pretty well, why dont you check out the scrap market? They will have all the stuff you need at 1/4th price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Like some others mentioned, the bumper does not look damaged enough to be replaced, at a high cost too. Fix the washer-fluid tank and the fog-lamp, which are important.
SB, the catch is that he cannot fit the fog lamps without fixing the bumpers!
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 08:37   #88
Senior - BHPian

Re: i20 Bumper cracked - My encounter with a dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I wonder if the dog survived the hit. Poor fellow (the dog)
@Ninjatalli - Noblecr has already mentioned that the dog was shattered to pieces, I dont know if he means it literally
Quote:
Does anyone have any idea about how much it costs for the i20 front bumper, front fog lamp and the windshield washer tank.
@Noblecr - You have already mentioned that the front bumper was quoted for 6K, have you enquired about the fog lamp and washer tank costs? Suggest to get the washer tank replaced first and then the bumper followed by fog lamps.

Are you sure that the bumper costs that much?
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 09:10   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
BTW, where exactly at Kollam was this ? And also, how do you even manage to reach 3-digit speeds (let alone cruise) on that 2-lane median-less road called NH-47 ?
+1.

I've also done a lot of Trivandrum - Alleppey drives. 120 is way over the safe cruising speeds (not to mention legal speed limits) on the so called NH 47, specially on the Trivandrum <-> Cherthalla stretch.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 09:45   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have any idea about how much it costs for the i20 front bumper, front fog lamp and the windshield washer tank
You are one brave man i would say, Driving at 120 in kollam -TVm stretch that too near kollam .Is it worth that risk ? I would be scared to drive at even 80 at these roads at night .Cant even predict what will happen.
As someone suggested try insurance way or else leave the bumper as it is and fix the fogs and bottle.
bullboy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed