Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:09   #1
BHPian

Car damaged in trailer - what to do

My car was in transit from Delhi to Hyd - midway the trailer met with an accident & the car has suffered huge damages - pictures attached

The car was insured & the movers have informed me that FIR etc has been filed, insurance company has taken photographs etc

The car is on its way to Hyd & will reach on Wed /Thursday - it is a Fiat Siena 1.6 ELX 2004 Model

The movers have said that they will take it to the Service Center & call the Insurance guys there as well - I can also be present when the survey is being done

Some questions :

- What can i do or what are my options ? just watch helplessly ? apart from escalation...which i have already done ..they have informed me that they will ensure that the car is repaired back...
- Have a look at the pics of the car..the pillars seem damaged..I had just gotten the insurance renewed...Value of the car as per insurance was Rs. 1.77 Lacs..It is worth getting the car repaired back..or total write off is better ? Will i get the full car value ( 1.77 lacs) if it is written off ?
- 1st cut looks like structural damage...dont know the damage to the suspension or under the hood..not too sure if car will be safe anymore post repair
- What goes from my pocket - there's broken glass etc...will i have to pay ?

Any suggestions would be welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Car damaged in trailer - what to do-20032010757.jpg  

Car damaged in trailer - what to do-20032010758.jpg  

Car damaged in trailer - what to do-20032010759.jpg  

Old 22nd March 2010, 15:41   #2
BHPian

Sorry to see your vehicle in such a state.

Is the damage limited to the ones shown in the pictures or is there further damage not shown here?

Assuming that there is no other damage, this looks repairable. It would be difficult to have the insurance write this off. Find out how much you've got to pay out of your pocket, then bargain with the movers to pay the sum, or atleast a part of it, so that the net amount you've to pay out of your own pocket is minimal.

The biggest pain IMO will be the time taken to get spares and repair work done. Siena parts are a little hard to get and take time to come from the Pune plant, if they are low demand spares. But looks like in your case, you don't need too many spares. The tinkering and painting work will get over in a jiffy though.

All the best, and keep us posted.
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Isn't it that the movers who will get the things done under the insurance done by their company, as it is met with an accident when they were moving the same.

Some of these Movers will insure the goods which are being moved before the trailer leaves from the loading place.
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:10   #4
BHPian

I believe the movers would have to pay for this. The insurance folks linked to the movers would pay for the damages (after deducting the necessary deductibles) and the movers should pay the rest.
OP and his insurance should not be party to this.
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Isn't it that the movers who will get the things done under the insurance done by their company, as it is met with an accident when they were moving the same.

Some of these Movers will insure the goods which are being moved before the trailer leaves from the loading place.

The movers will use YOUR insurance for this as they insure the goods and not the car, it adds to the premium for transit.

Only way is to get it repaired or if you are willing to let go (old model, spares etc), just negotiate and accept the IDV - depreciation.
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Forget the 'who-to-blame' part.

Where will you get spares for a car which is no longer made? And knowing TATA/Fiat Combo - you are better off for a full claim.
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The movers will use YOUR insurance for this as they insure the goods and not the car, it adds to the premium for transit.

Only way is to get it repaired or if you are willing to let go (old model, spares etc), just negotiate and accept the IDV - depreciation.
Dadu, as per you the transporter goes free and the owner has to take the brunt to pay.

The transporter will insure the total value of the goods transported including the CAR and not excluding it.
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Dadu, as per you the transporter goes free and the owner has to take the brunt to pay.

The transporter will insure the total value of the goods transported including the CAR and not excluding it.
He needs to check the Insured value of goods, that itself will tell if the CAR was covered (mostly not)
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Besides the car owners insurance, I think the transporter also to insure the goods or car (whatever they carry) and it is their duty to handover the goods in good condition as you handed over at your place. You have not done any damage or accident to your car. The car is damaged while in transit and the transporter is fully responsible for the damage. It all depends how good the transporter is - how much coverage they have taken for this car etc.
Having said all these, it is not easy to settle the matter as the transported will always try to espcape with just some contribution? Be after them and to make sure that you get the car in good shape!
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
He needs to check the Insured value of goods, that itself will tell if the CAR was covered (mostly not)
The transporters will insure all the goods in transit and as far as i know they would have taken the value of the vehicle from the owner while accepting it for transportation and same would be mentioned in the slip given to the customer.
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:24   #11
BHPian

The car is insured by me from Tata AIG

However - I did pay them 1.5% of the value of the car ( on Rs. 1.77 lacs) - Rs 2655/- for the transit & they mentioned that National Insurance was taken

The same is mentioned in their invoice as well - The movers involved is a professional one & so far they have been transperent with their dealings with them

They said they'll take the car to the Service centre - Should I tell them the Service center preference ?

So I am hoping that majority of the repairs are covered by the Insurance & the balance on deductibles, rubber, glass part etc is paid by the movers
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:27   #12
Team-BHP Support

I would say get the repair work done by the transporters insurance to the best and sell the car off. Damage is quite serious and ideally a shell replacement would be required.

EDIT had a second look, you can actually repair it by replacing the whole A, B, C pillar with the roof and the 2 doors Shouldnt cause much issue's if done proper with original panel parts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd March 2010 at 18:28.
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:34   #13
BHPian

none of the parts are SIENA specific.Your car is the newer version SIENA.the doors are shared by the palio.so is the front part(glass,fenders,lights,mirrors etc)Only the pillars will involve some work.That too can be changed very easily.If you are in hyderabad take it to gangi reddy(solar auto) or to mazda motors.otherwise you are left with only TATAs ie.Autofin,Malik etc.But for me this is a damage that could be repaired and its worth doing as it is a gem of a car SIENA 1.6 elx.i feel that FIAT will ask you to change the body frame as it is damaged badly.But the local garages like Solar etc will have it repaired for you.not to worry.just give it to them and see what happens.Contact me if you want their contact numbers.i had a siena 1.2..sold it with a very heavy heart.to get a PUNTO MJD.

Last edited by vigneshram : 22nd March 2010 at 18:37.
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
The car is insured by me from Tata AIG

However - I did pay them 1.5% of the value of the car ( on Rs. 1.77 lacs) - Rs 2655/- for the transit & they mentioned that National Insurance was taken

The same is mentioned in their invoice as well - The movers involved is a professional one & so far they have been transperent with their dealings with them

They said they'll take the car to the Service centre - Should I tell them the Service center preference ?

So I am hoping that majority of the repairs are covered by the Insurance & the balance on deductibles, rubber, glass part etc is paid by the movers
Get everything replaced howmuch ever you can get from the insurance done from the transporter.

Please give suggestions on the service centre where you can think you get better service.

NOTE - DO NOT PAY ANYTHING FROM YOUR POCKET.
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:42   #15
BHPian

Yes this is the new Siena / Petra - aka Palio with a boot
I'll have a word with them - I would ideally like to take it to a Fiat authorised repair shop

They have told me that it is structural damage on the right hand side...engine bay area looks fine in the pics

I am not sure about the damage to the drive train, suspension setup etc - which concerns me the most - then we run into spare parts issues etc..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks