Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 14:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
There was a big scam in Hassan a few years back. A traffic Sub-Inspector had got duplicate receipt book printed and he had siphoned off lakhs of 'fine' money before he was caught. Apparently, he was doing this for many years.
This is a popular trick with the corrupt traffic cops.

Sometimes the receipt booklets are printed in excess and these corrupt cops manage to procure some booklets for their *personal use*.

While writing a receipt, the cop is required to use a carbon paper. He will give you the original and the carbon copy remains in the booklet for their record.

If the cop is not using carbon paper, you can be sure that the money is going to his pocket inspite of him issuing a *receipt*.

Rohan
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:57   #17
BHPian

Thanks @moralfibre, @rohan iitr @j.ravi for your suggestions and links to fine page of trafficpolice. Everyone should keep this as an important paper in ones wallet in order to prevent himself being robbed in daylight by these uniformed men. If we know our rights then it sure gives us an upper hand in case you land in trouble. But at the same time one should also remember his duties before claiming his rights when caught.
I found following links very informative that one should read periodically to ensure we are not one of the reasons for this chaotic traffic:

Traffic Rules: http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...ffic_rules.htm
Rules of traffic: http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...provisions.htm
Traffic Signs: http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...ffic_signs.htm
Road Markings: http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...d_markings.htm
Spot Fines: http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...spot_fines.htm --- Must keep a hard copy of it.
Tips: http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...od_driving.htm and http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...fic_advice.htm
Bangalore transport info: BTIS - Bangalore Transport Information System ---- good site to know about traffic camers and vehical details based on their number.
BMTC: Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation

Also always keep with you:
-----------------------------------------------
Driving License,
Registration Certificate,
Insurance Certificate,
Fitness Certificate /PUC

Traffic Helpline numbers:

Ambulance - 105711 / 1062

Hope this helps.

I too would like to know answer to questions posted by chipz:
1) Should we have ATTESTED copies of the document or always keep originals with us? Is it different for car and bike.
2) Should you pay the fine on spot or collect a ticket for paying later in court?
3) What documents should you handover to cop in case he insists for them?
4) What visible marks your car or bike should have -- like fonts on number plates,its location, type of tint etc. to avoid breaking any law?
5) I case cops,if at all, agrees to give us the receipt, should we go to bangalore one counters to pay the fine or to court? Would cops keep some of our documents with him in this case or cops only give us the receipt that needs to be paid?
6) In case if we do not pay once we get the receipts(as in above point) to the cops/court/bangaloreone, what happens?
7) What is the first thing you should do in case you get involved in an accident do to your mistake? -- eg hitting some one.
8) What you should do in case you get involved in an accident that is not your mistake? -- eg someone hits you or you get in hit n run scenario.

Please enlighten.
Old 6th April 2010, 03:04   #18
BANNED

lol, this is an interesting topic. Wonder the reaction of 'Mamus' reading this, they would either be frustrated or laughing the hell out of it reading this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Thanks @moralfibre, @rohan iitr @j.ravi for your suggestions and links to fine page of trafficpolice. Everyone should keep this as an important paper in ones wallet in order to prevent himself being robbed in daylight by these uniformed men. If we know our rights then it sure gives us an upper hand in case you land in trouble. But at the same time one should also remember his duties before claiming his rights when caught.
I found following links very informative that one should read periodically to ensure we are not one of the reasons for this chaotic traffic:

Traffic Rules: Bangalore City Traffic Police
Rules of traffic: Bangalore City Traffic Police
Traffic Signs: Bangalore City Traffic Police
Road Markings: Bangalore City Traffic Police
Spot Fines: Bangalore City Traffic Police --- Must keep a hard copy of it.
Tips: Bangalore City Traffic Police and Bangalore City Traffic Police
Bangalore transport info: BTIS - Bangalore Transport Information System ---- good site to know about traffic camers and vehical details based on their number.
BMTC: Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation

Also always keep with you:
Driving License,
Registration Certificate,
Insurance Certificate,
Fitness Certificate /PUC

Traffic Helpline numbers:

Ambulance - 105711 / 1062

Hope this helps.

1) Should we have ATTESTED copies of the document or always keep originals with us? Is it different for car and bike. (Always Attested, for both car and bike)
2) Should you pay the fine on spot or collect a ticket for paying later in court? (Most of them will surely not want to go to the court to pay a fine of 100rs, even if it is a better thing to do)
3) What documents should you handover to cop in case he insists for them? (You can hand anything unless he provides you a receipt/proof saying the following documents has been seized by him from you)
4) What visible marks your car or bike should have -- like fonts on number plates,its location, type of tint etc. to avoid breaking any law?
5) I case cops,if at all, agrees to give us the receipt, should we go to bangalore one counters to pay the fine or to court? Would cops keep some of our documents with him in this case or cops only give us the receipt that needs to be paid? (Pay at whichever is closer or convinient. Cops can seize your Driving licence if you break a traffic rule third time, that's what they use the blackberry machines for, now a days.)
6) In case if we do not pay once we get the receipts(as in above point) to the cops/court/bangaloreone, what happens? (A warrant can be generated for you)
7) What is the first thing you should do in case you get involved in an accident do to your mistake? -- eg hitting some one.(Depends on the crowd around you. 1. If u can handle the crowd - Help the person whom you hit to the hospital. 2. If you can't handle the crowd, Run away from the spot to the nearest police station. 3. If caught, call the police ASAP/help the person injured. )
8) What you should do in case you get involved in an accident that is not your mistake? -- eg someone hits you or you get in hit n run scenario. (Take the person's name and number and Insurance details, leave to the service station to take 3rd party insurance from the other person's insurer, Report an FIR)

Please enlighten.
Dude, I think you are asking the same questions twice However, my answers in Bold!

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 6th April 2010 at 03:15.
Old 6th April 2010, 15:22   #19
BHPian

Is there a good way that we the public, can fight back against corrupt cops? I mean dont the cops have unions? Cant they ask for a raise from the government? I really think if these guys were paid more, corruption would go down tremendously
Old 6th April 2010, 16:10   #20
BHPian

Ok.Let me add my 2 cents here.

Quote:
1) Should we have ATTESTED copies of the document or always keep originals with us? Is it different for car and bike.I've been under the impression that u can keep copies of your RC book but the insurance, PUC and your licence has to be original.
2) Should you pay the fine on spot or collect a ticket for paying later in court?Depends on what is convinent to you.BUT.If the cop is asking you to pay on the spot make sure that a cop in complete khaki coloured uniform is present(Cops with the usual white top and khaki pants do not have the authority to collect money).Sorry do not know their ranks.

Please enlighten.
Adding to the queries, the other day i was pulled over for using "pressure horns"(Actually, these were bosch horns that are used in skodas and really dont want to get into the details of the argument i had with him).So hes hands me a receipt and takes away my license as i tell him that i would come to the police station and pay the fine.

The next day i go to the station and there was this huge line there.I pay the fine the cop hands me over my licence and i stand there waiting for a receipt of the fine paid.Without looking up he says that no receipt is required.I try to reason with him but the crowd gets really impatient and also tells me that indeed i would not get a receipt.

Is this really the practice followed by the RTO or is there something fishy here.I mean, even when i pay 5 bucks in a pay and park i get a receipt then why not here?
Old 6th April 2010, 16:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

I do not know about Mumbai, but here in Bangalore, any policeman who is of and above the rank of an ASI (Asst. Sub Inspector with a single star on his shoulder) has the authority to collect spot fines. I think I read this in the Bangalore Traffic Police Website.

Cops with the White tops & Khaki bottoms are Traffic police and they have the authority to collect fines provided he is an ASI or any higher rank.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 6th April 2010 at 16:22.
Old 6th April 2010, 16:23   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
I really think if these guys were paid more, corruption would go down tremendously
They dont take bribes because they are paid less. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forged_Piston View Post
indeed i would not get a receipt.
Did he give you a challan for confiscating the license?
Old 6th April 2010, 17:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Did he give you a challan for confiscating the license?
Yes he did.But that challan just mentioned that he had take my licence and an authorisation to drive till a particular date.nowhere does it mention the offence or the amount paid.Moreover that was taken when i paid the fine.So, as of now i dont have any proof that i have paid a fine.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:18   #24
BHPian

In Bangalore, there are 2 ways to find out all fines against your vehicle:
1) BTIS - Traffic Fines and punch in your vehicle number.
2) SMS to 52225 -> FINE KA-xx-yy-zzzz and you shall receive an SMS with fines imposed on this number. I have tried it and works most of the time.
Old 13th April 2010, 21:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Just want to add an interesting twist here. While discussing the subject of fines with the inlaws of one of my brother in law, I learnt that the fine collected by the cops is actually not a fine. The correct procedure is for the offender to go to court the next day and present his case to the magistrate. If the magistrate finds you guilty he will fine you. This fine is then deducted from the money you had paid at the time of being caught, and the remaining money has to be returned to you.

Here's what happens: Cops catch you, collect Rs. 100/- from you and give you a receipt. They present a fake offender in the court the next day. The magistrate announces the fine of Rs. 20/-. The cops then collect the difference and pocket it (through the fake offender).

Please bear in mind: I have not been able to verify the above claim. This is hearsay. However I do know that traffic offences are dealt with by the magistrates, so I am willing to assume at least an iota of truth in this.
Old 12th March 2012, 00:04   #26
BHPian

Re: How to avoid Traffic Fines / violations?

Quote:
In Bangalore, there are 2 ways to find out all fines against your vehicle:
1) BTIS - Traffic Fines and punch in your vehicle number.
2) SMS to 52225 -> FINE KA-xx-yy-zzzz and you shall receive an SMS with fines imposed on this number. I have tried it and works most of the time.
Please pardon replying to such an old thread. Got my first traffic violation ticket today. The type of violation is a no parking ticket (Type says NP so assuming). Now the funny part is that there was no board with the No-Parking sign and since it was a residential area with other cars parked outside other houses, I carefully found a place that doesnt obstruct others and parked. When I came back, I found the no parking ticket.

Now how does one go about convincing them that there was no board restricting parking. And in case I am wrong indeed, please enlighten me how to find road sides which are "parkable". I feel arguing is not going to take me anywhere. Also, I checked the site mentioned in the quoted post for my vehicle number. It says no fines found.

Should I wait for a day and check? Or if it doesnt show up in that page, does it mean I dont have to pay the fine?
Old 12th March 2012, 12:27   #27
BHPian

Update: Found some interesting thing this morning. I just looked at the parking ticket carefully and noticed that the vehicle number is NOT MINE . Yes, the vehicle number mentioned on the parking ticket is different from my car registration number.

Now this could mean two possibilities. Either this sticker was given to somebody, who just removed it and stuck it on my window. Or, the traffic police made two tickets for two vehicle (of which one was mine) and then unknowingly swapped them when he stuck it to our windows.

Now I am even more confused. Checked the BTIS site to see if there is any fine mentioned against my vehicle's registration number but it still says no fines pending. I also checked the number mentioned on the ticket but it says the same "No fines pending". Any inputs will be appreciated greatly.
Old 13th March 2012, 22:28   #28
BHPian

Hi Dhrupadh,
you can go to any bangaloreone center and find that out if there is any parking ticket raised for your car's no. If there is none, then someone gifted his parking ticket to you. All you have to do is forget it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks