Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 22:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

LHS mirror alignment changed everyday at parking lot everyday - losing my sleep

Posting this question out of high frustration as not knowing how to handle this problem and I'm losing my sleep. We've a parking at the basement allotted for each company & I'm usually the first person to park my motorcycle in the allotted place. When I leave the office by 4:00 PM, I find the LHS mirror adjusted. Someone is changing my LHS mirror alignment of my motorcycle everyday & I hate it. I cannot ride without the left & right mirrors & hence I ensure it is clean & probably this is the reason someone is fiddling with it. The biggest headache is putting it back into a suitable alignment that takes about 2-3 minutes & about 1-2 Kms ride & I need to do this everyday; over & above I don't know when they cease to become tight & start hanging. Here're some of the ideas I thought, but again, I, myself know, it will not work out
1. Tip the security person to check who does this - But the problem is the security guys keep changing almost everyday on rotational basis, if I tip someone this morning I may not even find the same guy next day morning.
2. Apply leave to office & sit in the parking lot & keep watching to find out who's changing it - What if he does not turn up to office that day & my effort goes futile?
3. Write lot of bad words calling his entire generation & hang it up to the LHS mirror - But, there're chances that guy gets aggrevated by this & starts tampering both the mirrors or may be even damage my motorcycle.
4. Lodge complaint with the security - They said their job is to ensure proper parking of vehicles in allotted places & they cannot keep a control on this.
5. Lodge a complaint with building management - They said their job is to provide covered parking & they cannot have control on this.
6. Lodge complaint with the company's facility management - I know the facilities will laugh at me & ask to take it light which I cannot.
7. Fit an alarm or security device so that when someone touches the motorcycle, the alarm goes off - Well, this is not an immediate job & there're practical difficulties implementing.
8. Hide a camera inside the helmet & place the helmet on the seat - A lot of risk involved here as the securities may hand over the camera to the main gate with several other questions as why it was being bought inside & lot many people to answer or the worst case someone flicks it.
9. Carry a 13 metric wrench along & as soon as I reach office remove both the mirrors - No point because this is as good as adjusting the mirrors.
10. Last option suggested by wifey, hang up a note at LHS mirror politely stating do not adjust the mirrors - Not sure if this will help; what if the person doesn't consider this & still keeps changing the alignment?

Guys, pls suggest what should I do, how should I handle this? Mind somehow refuses to remain practical to ignore this problem.

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st March 2010 at 11:56. Reason: Post edited. Please do NOT use foul language on Team-BHP.
Old 30th March 2010, 22:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Listen to your wifey....

Or superglue your mirrors in place if you are the only user of the bike..
Old 30th March 2010, 22:51   #3
BHPian

There is probably no one doing anything to your bike aargee. Since you say that your the first in the parking lot, Im guessing that people who park after you nudge your bike as they move, which is probably causing the alignment problem. And that is assuming your bike is the first in the parking lot with the other lots being on the left side side of the bike!!! I might be wrong tho!
Old 30th March 2010, 22:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well, I'm the only user, but I sometimes change positions & sit when I've to adjust the mirrors little here & there. So super glue may not work.
Old 30th March 2010, 23:00   #5
Team-BHP Support

1.Cover your motorcycle,he won't be fiddling anymore
2.Apply some bad smelling thing/itching powder(not practical) in the mirrors, chilly powder may work out too,

from what i see is, some guy during ciggie break, comes, smokes and does his hair.
Old 30th March 2010, 23:00   #6
MX6
Senior - BHPian

How about carrying two used dirty paper bags in which mcdonald's fries come? You can cover the mirrors with the used bags and staple them on the mirrors after parking.
On the way back, you can remove the staples and stove the cover for future use. If the covers are real dirty, no one will dare touch them, let alone disturb your mirrors.
Old 30th March 2010, 23:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

grease/shoe polish on the outside of the mirror
should leave a nasty surprise
Old 30th March 2010, 23:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

If there are other motorcycles parked close to your's then there are good chances that your mirror settings can change due to some brushing and unintensional elbowing. If you know what I mean.
Old 30th March 2010, 23:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
1.Cover your motorcycle,he won't be fiddling
Cover for motorcycle? Hmm...not that I've thought of buying for last 13 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
from what i see is, some guy during ciggie break, comes, smokes and does his hair.
Or may be as soon as he gets down from his motorcycle, he find the cleanest mirror in the lot; the most irritating part is why not comb your hair without touching the mirrors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
How about carrying two used dirty paper bags in which mcdonald's fries come? You can cover the mirrors with the used bags and staple them on the mirrors after parking.
On the way back, you can remove the staples and stove the cover for future use.
Man, this is expensive affair; if I keep buying fries from McD everyday, I'll soon have to trade in my motorcycle for buying the fries someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
If the covers are real dirty, no one will dare touch them, let alone disturb your mirrors.
True, if the mirrors are dirty no one will dare to touch. But what to do? I like to keep it clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
grease/shoe polish on the outside of the mirror should leave a nasty surprise
Man, this is like burning the house for mice & my question is how long should I keep doing? Someday when he sees its clean, he's gonna fiddle with it again right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
If there are other motorcycles parked close to your's then there are good chances that your mirror settings can change due to some brushing and unintensional elbowing. If you know what I mean.
No yaar, if this is elbow issue, then the mirrors would be facing down right? They're faced up like someone lifting the mirror so that their broken neck does not turn.

Last edited by aargee : 30th March 2010 at 23:19.
Old 30th March 2010, 23:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
grease/shoe polish on the outside of the mirror
should leave a nasty surprise
Way to go Greeni!

Seriously, this is a good suggestion!

And I do think, as mentioned few posts above, this is a person doing his hair during a ciggi break!
Old 30th March 2010, 23:14   #11
BHPian

No CCTV cameras out there in the basement? If yes, check out the recording ..
Old 30th March 2010, 23:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
No CCTV cameras out there in the basement? If yes, check out the recording ..
Sorry that I didn't mention this earlier - There're no cameras fitted on to the basement, ground floor & first floor parking lots. Basically no parking lot has camera facility. Thanks to have bought up this point.
PS - Now you guys know why I'm browing TBHP at 11:30 PM while I'm supposed to have completed 2 good hours of my sleep. I'm badly jammed up.

Last edited by aargee : 30th March 2010 at 23:23.
Old 30th March 2010, 23:22   #13
BHPian

I suggest you come in a bit later than usual, so that you park your bike between other bikes. That way he might move on to another bike. At least give it a shot for a couple of days and see.
Old 31st March 2010, 01:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Isn't there another spot where you could park? Or if its an option, don't take the bike to work, and notice if any other bike parked there faces the same fate every evening.
Alternately, figure out a way to remove the mirrors everyday. Mark the tubing and make it coincide with a mark on the handle bar.
I know this really bothers you, and it probably would for 99% others. This is one irritating habit, and I remember getting into a fight with a moron in college, who'd randomly walk around and use the mirrors to admire that rotten face of his.He's apply oil, and so after he'd be done combing that stinky scalp, he'd hold the mirror and re-check everything.The result, big fingerprints that smear and become very dirty when dust accumulates.
Old 31st March 2010, 03:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried parking close to a pillar or a wall, where the mirror is not easily accessible? In old Kinetic Honda's rear view mirrors, there used to be screw that can be tightened - and if tightened enough, changing the alignment would take QUITE an effort - is there something of that sort in the new bikes?

And do any of your colleagues know about your mirror fetish <jus kiddin'>? Maybe someone is playing a prank on you??!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 31st March 2010 at 03:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks