Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 18:53   #1
BHPian

Speed camera/radar in Pune streets?

last night around 12:30 am i was travelling down nagar road. when i passed shastri nagar, going towards bundgarden, suddenly i felt a bright flash (much like diffused lightning). at first i thought thats what it was, but then realized the weather was too hot for such a phenomenon. i glanced at the speedo -it was little above 100..i slowed down since i was wondering what it was that happened.
later i noticed that around the same area there is a pole with 2 cameras mounted on it and what happened must have been a snapshot of my speeding vehicle!
has anyone experienced such a thing? I do know the Pune traffic cops did use such technology at signals to catch jumpers... i know of people who have gotten tickets in the mail. but this is new... haven't even read about it in the newspapers.... anyone know anything about it???
Old 5th April 2010, 19:21   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I see flashes on laxmi road very often when people jump signals. Will try to take a photo of the source of flash next time I go to Laxmi road.

Last edited by MX6 : 5th April 2010 at 19:23.
Old 5th April 2010, 20:55   #3
BHPian

aah ! I've seen those flashes a zillion time and I've been flashed at plenty. These were the speed cameras and the signal cameras that the Pune governance had invested crores on . The plan never took off . The cameras still function like they should only the procedure that follows after the the flash never materialized I guess.
Old 5th April 2010, 21:15   #4
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Why be flashed at Gautamkhadse? Do we have to wait for the procedure that follows after the flash to materialize to stop being flashed at?
Old 6th April 2010, 13:32   #5
BHPian

i usually reach those speeds on that road since its a regular route, but this is the first time i experienced the 'flash'!
@gautamkhadse: did you ever receive a speeding ticket in the mail? :P
Old 6th April 2010, 13:37   #6
BHPian

If you are being "flashed" at plenty, perhaps you are not doing something right gautamkhadse?
Anyhow, plenty of speed cameras as junctions (SP College is one) which were installed a year or so ago, but the police are not using it to fine offenders! (like above). This was also a story in a recent "Sakaal" about how this costly equipment has been stuck in red-tape.
Old 6th April 2010, 15:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Even I had an experience of this flash, this sunday night, however I was doing much below 60. (I guess I was near a red light or a cut)
Old 6th April 2010, 15:49   #8
BHPian

I have seen the cams n flash lights at brehmen chauk, aundh.
Old 6th April 2010, 15:50   #9
BHPian

When i say I've been flashed at, I didnt mean to say i fancy breaking the rules every now and then.I usually work in the night shifts and once in a while , while going back from aundh to model colony i used to drive a little fast ( read 90 km/hr) . I dont think its really really fast . Its an ok ok speed. I got flashed at 2 times . Next time i got flashed at 70 too . So i experimented a few more times and i got flashed at 65 km/hr and now thats ridiculous . So if someone assumed am a careless driver , you are mistaken sir . I attended driving scool in dubai and i still drive with all the discipline. Maintaining lanes even though there are no visible lanes always signaling before changing lanes , i follow every possible rule I can when on the bike and even when in the car. I havent experienced flashes on signal breaking since i havent tried breaking any signals. I have seem the PMPML busses being flashed at so so so very often , its almost as if they will they have become some celebs and the drivers are enjoying being flashed at.

What irks me most is when they spend so much on the infra why not start using it . I guess it just comes down to the fact that the Pandus will get no opportunity to fill up their own pockets. How will they afford their expensive Raybans.
Old 6th April 2010, 16:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
When i say I've been flashed at, I didnt mean to say i fancy breaking the rules every now and then.I usually work in the night shifts and once in a while , while going back from aundh to model colony i used to drive a little fast ( read 90 km/hr) . I dont think its really really fast . Its an ok ok speed. I got flashed at 2 times . Next time i got flashed at 70 too . So i experimented a few more times and i got flashed at 65 km/hr and now thats ridiculous . So if someone assumed am a careless driver , you are mistaken sir . I attended driving scool in dubai and i still drive with all the discipline. Maintaining lanes even though there are no visible lanes always signaling before changing lanes , i follow every possible rule I can when on the bike and even when in the car. I havent experienced flashes on signal breaking since i havent tried breaking any signals. I have seem the PMPML busses being flashed at so so so very often , its almost as if they will they have become some celebs and the drivers are enjoying being flashed at.

What irks me most is when they spend so much on the infra why not start using it . I guess it just comes down to the fact that the Pandus will get no opportunity to fill up their own pockets. How will they afford their expensive Raybans.
Dude, it is timed to Flash and take pictures automatically after certain time.
So Just chill, all who passes are photographed.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:07   #11
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Chill pal. No one is saying you are a bad driver. You were the one who said you got flashed PLENTY of times. Now PLENTY gave the idea that you keep breaking rules to readers.
So all readers are asking is why be flashed PLENTY of times.
I work the other way.
I drive at 20. If I don't get flashed, I drive at 30. Then I keep increasing the speed till I reach a comfortable speed (my max limit set by myself) or I get flashed, which ever is earlier.

Getting dubai license I heard is the toughest in the world. So how was your experience driving in Dubai.
Old 6th April 2010, 20:47   #12
BHPian

Getting dubai license was comparatively easier , cuz they eliminated a lot of mandatory tests that are still prevailant in other gulf countries .

1. Slope test . : You car is parked on a 45 degree on a incline and you need to move up without revving the engine too much and also your car shouldnt move back . This was teh test that my dad failed in , in oman , a good 13 times . He got his license in the 14th attempt. Fortunately we dont have that anymore in Dubai .

2. Drum test : you have to drive around drums without actually touching them . Its hard to describe the exact setup of the test but its more of a zig zag test and the space between teh drums being exactly as long as your car .

Saudi is the toughest from what I have heard . My dads boss who has been in dubai for the past 40 years . Who owns 3 steel plants ans numerous other businesses doesnt have a license. He failed 29 times and finally gave up . Lucky for him he is a multi millinaire he can afford drivers . The sad part is he also owns a phantom but has never driven it . He has the best cars money can buy but all of em' driven by his drivers .

And as for my remarks no offence meant and none taken . you are all like my family.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Getting dubai license was comparatively easier , cuz they eliminated a lot of mandatory tests that are still prevailant in other gulf countries .

1. Slope test . : You car is parked on a 45 degree on a incline and you need to move up without revving the engine too much and also your car shouldnt move back . This was teh test that my dad failed in , in oman , a good 13 times . He got his license in the 14th attempt. Fortunately we dont have that anymore in Dubai .

2. Drum test : you have to drive around drums without actually touching them . Its hard to describe the exact setup of the test but its more of a zig zag test and the space between teh drums being exactly as long as your car .

Saudi is the toughest from what I have heard . My dads boss who has been in dubai for the past 40 years . Who owns 3 steel plants ans numerous other businesses doesnt have a license. He failed 29 times and finally gave up . Lucky for him he is a multi millinaire he can afford drivers . The sad part is he also owns a phantom but has never driven it . He has the best cars money can buy but all of em' driven by his drivers .

And as for my remarks no offence meant and none taken . you are all like my family.
That’s Sad, what’s be fun being a multi millionaire and couldn't drive your own car. I would have never given up.

Even my brother-in-law is in Dubai he also told me how strict the COPS are in DXB to give a DL to a person. He got it in his third attempt.
Old 9th April 2010, 14:15   #14
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Drum test is something the Indicab, qualis, tavera taxi guys can pass with their eyes closed. That's exactly the way they drive in the Mumbai pune expressway, just that we have other cars instead of drums for them to move around.
Old 9th April 2010, 19:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

^ LMFAO!

I guess all Indians should be able to qualify that - we are so mcuh used to weaving in and out of traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks