Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 22:17   #1
BHPian

Bad experience today... A man hit my car from wrong side. Luckily Nothing Serious.

Today I had a bad experience while on my way back to home from office.

I was almost 1 km away from my house, and was taking a turn towards the right side lane, after putting the right indicator from approximately 300mts before the turn, and indicating the guys coming from the front, by blinking the headlamps, the car almost made it half way on the opposite lane, suddenly I saw some vehicle coming in my RVM and swerved the steering towards the right. But the guy coming on the TVS Excel, couldnot control his vehicle, had a scratching hit towards the front side of my Wagon-R. He was coming so fast that he couldnot have stopped even after applying brakes.

As usual there was a mob gathered, I pulled the car into the lane and stopped, went back to see, what happened to that guy, and someone from the mob was trying to lift that guy, and I had a small relief seeing that guy not hit badly (he was not wearing any helmet, I remember seeing him far behind me after I gave the side indicator, at 6:00PM). Suddenly some guy in the mob, turned to me, asking for money in kannada, and I replied him in hindi first. Lucky my mind started working by that time, and remembered reading some posts about the beatings fellow BHPian's received when they started talking in hindi. There was one guy, who was watching the scene from the time I stopped the car, I asked him if he can understand telugu, and explained him that I had been signalling from long behind, and this guy came all over the wrong side overspeeding, and hit me. That guy nodded his head in agreement, told me that he had seen everything what had happened and suggested me to take that guy to hospital, and he convinced everyone who had been rising their voices around.

With the help of some people in the mob, I got the moped guy into the car, immediately took this guy to the hospital near to hulimavu, as he was unable to stand straight, and was holding his left leg saying that its paining like hell, and he's sure that something has fractured from inside.

I Spoke to the doctor, got the first aid done to the bruises, and asked the doctor, what to do next. Doctor suggested to get me a X-Ray for the leg, as its looking like swollen. Got him to a diagnostic center nearby, and got the X-Ray taken. luckily X-Ray result was negative, and there was no fracture of anykind.

We got back to the hospital, and asked the doctor what to do next. He prescribed some medicines to use, and by that time, my best friend arrived, and We were somewhat relieved to see nothing serious, had happened, and only a muscle catch for the person.

The only thing I did wrong (as per my wife) is that while taking that guy to the hospital I stopped at my house, to keep my office bag, and other things, and also to checkout with my house owner's about any hospital nearby (they are localites and staying in the same area since 15 years), but unluckily, they were not there at home.

Now my wife is getting tensed that those people might come home tomorrow or later asking for some money, and she would be alone at home with my 2 months old kid. I convinced her, not to worry and take help of the house owner's.

I am also blank on what to do if those people might turn back to my house when I am not there. Please let me know of your valuable suggestions.
Old 8th April 2010, 23:34   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishie View Post
Today I had a bad experience while on my way back to home from office.

I am also blank on what to do if those people might turn back to my house when I am not there. Please let me know of your valuable suggestions.
So 1 more victim of this foolish thing of paying for someone else's fault. I know how frustrating it is, but you just can't help it if it is not your home town.
All I can suggest right now is to Inform your wife to check and then open the door.Also, Ask her to keep the important and emergency numbers Handy.

Or keep 2 German shepherds at home (Sorry for the PJ-Just to cheer you up)

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 8th April 2010 at 23:35.
Old 9th April 2010, 00:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
So 1 more victim of this foolish thing of paying for someone else's fault. I know how frustrating it is, but you just can't help it if it is not your home town.
All I can suggest right now is to Inform your wife to check and then open the door.Also, Ask her to keep the important and emergency numbers Handy.

Or keep 2 German shepherds at home (Sorry for the PJ-Just to cheer you up)
Thanks Sharma for the concern, and your suggestion taken note of.

I am always a fan of keeping pets at home, but as its not my own house, I can't do that.
Old 9th April 2010, 01:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good that the incident didn't go out of hand. Its a blessing that the guy who helped you out saw everything and did his part to disperse the crowd. Kudos to him!
As for your family, I doubt if anyone will come asking for money. If anything, the doctor probably knows the full story if need be he's there to back your story.
Let it be, and try to forget the episode. Not worth keeping these things in mind.
Old 9th April 2010, 02:43   #5
BHPian

Events like these are very common in any part of India... specially if it's a Car and Bike Accident then people by-default say it's Car Owner who is at fault always. Personally that piss me off

I too had such incidents with me, once I went to Traffic Police standing near by and the crowd disappeared in seconds, However in second such incident I lost my control and ended up slapping the fellow who was trying to raise the voice without knowing who was at fault...

I certainly understand your concern towards your family. But I guess you just ask your wife to be attentive while answering the door...

Also i think as you were co-operative to the fellow no-one would come behind you for such incident.
Old 9th April 2010, 04:43   #6
BHPian

Inform all the neighbors about the incident and ask them to help keep a vigil on your house. If there are shops around it would be great.

Also, as some one suggested, ask your wife to check and open the door and ask anyone who she does not recognize to come back in the evening when you are there.

Sorry about the incident man! Things happen at times and its out of our control. You followed the right things to do.
Old 9th April 2010, 08:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Rishie, don't worry I'm 100% sure they won't come back; the people who'll come back asking money are people who're jobless & while away their time living on other's money. In worst case scenario, just remember this, if you're forced to pay, then its your fate to pay, however you can choose whom to pay, instead of paying the victim, you can choose to pay to someone else to take legal action. Hope you got the point. But remember this is the worst of worst case which I strongly suggest you to stay away.

I know this incident pains a lot, but I'm sure you'll get over it in a week or two. Just remember, when the fault is not on your side, you can call the cops for assistance & there by you can save unnecessary headache's.
Old 9th April 2010, 09:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

The best thing to do in such cases is to act like a doctor. Checking pulses and looking at the wrist watch. Checking the neck area wrist and ask some people to get the patient in the car. This way we can hope, that mob fury will be avoided.
Old 9th April 2010, 09:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
The best thing to do in such cases is to act like a doctor. Checking pulses and looking at the wrist watch. Checking the neck area wrist and ask some people to get the patient in the car. This way we can hope, that mob fury will be avoided.
Prince, I strongly agree with you on the acting part to avoid the mob fury. But only thing is it should be done perfectly without exhibiting nervousness. I'd a very similar experince, a Pulsar guy hitting on my front bumper of WagonR; I stayed calm, the mob came in, I called up that guy, spoke 1 or 2 words & immediately called up my friend over phone pretending to speak with circle inspector; slowly the mob started dispersing & in about 10-15 minutes both the biker & me were left alone.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:49   #10
BHPian

Thanks all for the support.

I asked my wife not to open the door if she see's someone unknown, and call up the house owners immediately. I also told the nearby shopwala to keep an eye on the house, and have a word, in case someone arrives.

I know that these things are common in India, but never had been in such a situation before. Thanks to that guy who spoke to others and calmed them down. I was pretty bold at the scene, as someone who saw the incident was there, and also, it was not my mistake. I offered the hit guy to take him to the hospital, and the other guys supported me. But the hit guy was unable to stand, and kept saying that his leg has been fractured for sure. I told him to ease his fright, not to worry, it would just be a muscle catch, which happens in most of the scenario's and if there was a fracture, you won't get that much pain.

After the doctor said everything fine on the X-Ray, I acted up bold, along with my friend, and did not even offer him to drop to his house, as one of his friend already arrived. He asked me to drop him to his house, but I denied saying that I had some work, and I am not going home directly.

After reaching home, my wife was pretty frightened by then, and after I told everything was fine, she was a bit relaxed. but had this doubt, that someone might come and demand money. I convinced her not to worry, and they won't be coming. but she's still not much convinced with that. Till now no one turned up, and I too hope no one will be coming back.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

The TVS guy was not wearing a helmet. That itself is a violation of law. Chances are that he may not be having license as well. And his scooter may not have valid papers.

I think you need not worry. No one will come asking for money.

As suggested, keep an eye on visitors. Keep your house owners in the loop.

Keep the hospital bills etc with you. Keep some snaps of your car's damage.

As far as your wife's worry, I think she has a point. When you dropped by your house on the way to hospital, you have unknowingly created a link to identity. I think over a period of time, this worry will vanish.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
The TVS guy was not wearing a helmet. That itself is a violation of law. Chances are that he may not be having license as well. And his scooter may not have valid papers.

As far as your wife's worry, I think she has a point. When you dropped by your house on the way to hospital, you have unknowingly created a link to identity. I think over a period of time, this worry will vanish.
Hi Rishie,
Don't worry, thinks will be fine and no one is going to come to your place .
And i agree with sbraj mentioned that the bike guy might not have all the docs and license also ,but anyways if he has also, its not a big deal, it was his fault.
Thinks should be fine .
Old 9th April 2010, 12:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Hi Rishie,
Don't worry, thinks will be fine and no one is going to come to your place .
And i agree with sbraj mentioned that the bike guy might not have all the docs and license also ,but anyways if he has also, its not a big deal, it was his fault.
Thinks should be fine .
Thanks sbraj, Schoudhury....

Hope no one comes back.... I had not taken any bills for the hospital checkup, as it was a small hospital. I gave the X-Ray bill to my friend, when he arrived to keep it.

I have decided if someone comes and asks I will ask them to go to police station and file a case and do whatever they want to...and I will be doing the same thing, but I am not going to talk to them anything related to this nor going to offer anything, what I did was enough. I told to my wife, in case someone comes back and asks, ask them to come back in the evening, but don't give any contact numbers what so ever.

BTW, My car had a scratch (around 1 feet in length) on the front right side after the ORVM folded back, with some paint peeling off, and the Wheel Cap was broken.... need to get them fixed tomorrow.
Old 9th April 2010, 13:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yup that sounds perfect.

Cheers
Old 9th April 2010, 15:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

I hope the guy was walking fine and didnt had any other kind of trouble.

Just move on with life, and forget this thing, ask your wife to be vigilant, and we hope he doesnt haunt you or your family.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks