Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 11:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

If I were you, I would've filed an FIR OR got the letter signed at your nearest police station beat in front of SI or above. Trusting the house owner is left to you, but looks like this victim wants to follow a non legal way of handling things.

Last edited by aargee : 12th April 2010 at 11:19.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:18   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
I don't think he had any choice but to agree to pay. And i think he got the letter signed by the other guy.
He took the victim to hospital. He looked to it that his relatives were informed. Checked with the doctor thats all well and got back home.

What Rishi didnt do was report to police.

When these goons came knocking he should have taken them to the police station and got a case registered as an accident.

I know that is starting another round of headaches but bowing down to these cheap people who take the local Vs the outsider route to make money dont deserve a rupee of our hard earned money.

Rishi's case is strong. He did what was required at the time of accident.

If we stop panicking and think logically there is no way anyone can take undue advantage of you.

Once it goes to court no politician or any goon will come supporting that scum Rishi hit. They will drop him like a hot potato.

Last edited by Spitfire : 12th April 2010 at 11:24.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

This is horrible. The guy has actually come back to make claims..err..money. Everyone here has come to make money. Paisa aye, jaisa bhi aye. There are no human values left. There are good chances of this person or his representatives coming back. It is best to move location to some place else.

When such an incident had happened with my wife, we proactively went to the Audgodi police station and tried to file an FIR. But, since no one was hurt they refused to file an FIR but took down the details and said they would inform me about any FIR registered against my car number before hand. I guess having a Police background always helps. No FIRs were filed and no one ever came to my place.

Even if they had tried to trace me or my car they would have thought twice before coming to my address for the fear of being beaten black and blue from their ilk.

Anyway I have no issues now as we have moved base for some other reason.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:31   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I am surprised you agreed and signed some letter. And on what basis?
I had got the letter signed from the other guy that, I am not responsible for anything that had happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I agree with Spitfire. The house owner is not of much help.

Now that blood has been tasted, if they are goons, they will come back.

Better to change the house. And do not inform the house owner of your new address. Indicate a false address to him.

After shifting, you can personally come to this place and collect any correspondence left.

Staying in a rented accomodation has this plus point. You can vanish easily without leaving much trace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
+1 to that. The only way to avoid scum here is to be a bigger scum.

I don't think he had any choice but to agree to pay. And i think he got the letter signed by the other guy.
True, as I am not having the vehicle number, I could not lodge a complaint. House owner is somewhat soft person, and had tried to settle this matter without any legal issues for later.

As such I am planning to shift the house in another 4-5 months time, now its time to move it a little further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If I were you, I would've filed an FIR OR got the letter signed at your nearest police station beat in front of SI or above. Trusting the house owner is left to you, but looks like this victim wants to follow a non legal way of handling things.
If I was in my hometown, I would have done the same thing. but the thing is they are localites and what if they come down home for some dispute, and my wife and kid are all alone at home. (this is the thing they rule upon.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
He took the victim to hospital. He looked to it that his relatives were informed. Checked with the doctor thats all well and got back home.

What Rishi didnt do was report to police.

When these goons came knocking he should have taken them to the police station and got a case registered as an accident.

I know that is starting another round of headaches but bowing down to these cheap people who take the local Vs the outsider route to make money dont deserve a rupee of our hard earned money.

Rishi's case is strong. He did what was required at the time of accident.

If we stop panicking and think logically there is no way anyone can take undue advantage of you.

Once it goes to court no politician or any goon will come supporting that scum Rishi hit. They will drop him like a hot potato.
I agree, but what if they are coming non-legal way, damage my car / house premises, in my absense / anonymously, ultimately I have to pay for all of those damages.

Now that he's got afraid of signing a document, I have a strong point that he had signed a letter stating of no responsibility from me, I can go any legal way. and his supporters also know that, so they will not be of any much help to him from now on.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishie View Post
Today I had a bad experience while on my way back to home from office.

I was almost 1 km away from my house, and was taking a turn towards the right side lane, after putting the right indicator from approximately 300mts before the turn, and indicating the guys coming from the front, by blinking the headlamps, the car almost made it half way on the opposite lane, suddenly I saw some vehicle coming in my RVM and swerved the steering towards the right. But the guy coming on the TVS Excel, couldnot control his vehicle, had a scratching hit towards the front side of my Wagon-R. He was coming so fast that he couldnot have stopped even after applying brakes.

As usual there was a mob gathered, I pulled the car into the lane and stopped, went back to see, what happened to that guy, and someone from the mob was trying to lift that guy, and I had a small relief seeing that guy not hit badly (he was not wearing any helmet, I remember seeing him far behind me after I gave the side indicator, at 6:00PM). Suddenly some guy in the mob, turned to me, asking for money in kannada, and I replied him in hindi first. Lucky my mind started working by that time, and remembered reading some posts about the beatings fellow BHPian's received when they started talking in hindi. There was one guy, who was watching the scene from the time I stopped the car, I asked him if he can understand telugu, and explained him that I had been signalling from long behind, and this guy came all over the wrong side overspeeding, and hit me. That guy nodded his head in agreement, told me that he had seen everything what had happened and suggested me to take that guy to hospital, and he convinced everyone who had been rising their voices around.

With the help of some people in the mob, I got the moped guy into the car, immediately took this guy to the hospital near to hulimavu, as he was unable to stand straight, and was holding his left leg saying that its paining like hell, and he's sure that something has fractured from inside.

I Spoke to the doctor, got the first aid done to the bruises, and asked the doctor, what to do next. Doctor suggested to get me a X-Ray for the leg, as its looking like swollen. Got him to a diagnostic center nearby, and got the X-Ray taken. luckily X-Ray result was negative, and there was no fracture of anykind.

We got back to the hospital, and asked the doctor what to do next. He prescribed some medicines to use, and by that time, my best friend arrived, and We were somewhat relieved to see nothing serious, had happened, and only a muscle catch for the person.

The only thing I did wrong (as per my wife) is that while taking that guy to the hospital I stopped at my house, to keep my office bag, and other things, and also to checkout with my house owner's about any hospital nearby (they are localites and staying in the same area since 15 years), but unluckily, they were not there at home.

Now my wife is getting tensed that those people might come home tomorrow or later asking for some money, and she would be alone at home with my 2 months old kid. I convinced her, not to worry and take help of the house owner's.

I am also blank on what to do if those people might turn back to my house when I am not there. Please let me know of your valuable suggestions.
I know many BHPian had replied on this topic. Similar thing happened to me last year. I did the following
1. Took the guy and his friends to hospital
2. Checked the X-ray and confirmed that no fracture
3. We also observed him for nearly an hour to make sure no other health problem.
4. I paid all the hospital bills and as per his friends request gave him some Rs. 1500.
5. They were demanding more money. For that i told them very clearly, this is what i could do maximum. If you think you need more money, put a police complaint against me. I have a insurance and they will pay you the money if you are successful in winning the case
6. They didn't argue much and i had made up my mind to fight
7. i also made sure to keep all the hospital receipts for any future legal battle
8. Nothing happened. i am still staying at the same place where i was before
9. People are just exploiting our good nature.

Last edited by sarinkumar : 12th April 2010 at 11:37. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 12th April 2010, 11:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
we proactively went to the Audgodi police station and tried to file an FIR. But, since no one was hurt they refused to file an FIR but took down the details and said they would inform me about any FIR registered against my car number before hand. I guess having a Police background always helps. No FIRs were filed and no one ever came to my place.
That's a fantastic piece of information Prince. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip though. (Helps me relieve my nerves on this post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
5. They were demanding more money. For that i told them very clearly, this is what i could do maximum. If you think you need more money, put a police complaint against me. I have a insurance and they will pay you the money if you are successful in winning the case
9. People are just exploiting our good nature.
+1. And that's the reason even the good nature within people are being supressed. Even when one wants to help, they're afraid of the consequence & run away from scene.

Last edited by aargee : 12th April 2010 at 11:41.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

You are required by law to do the following in case of an accident:

1. Take the victim to the hospital (if he is willing).
2. Inform the police station of the accident within 24 hours.

Every person who holds a driving license should know this. If you didn't do any of these, you would be in trouble. Along with these two points you must note down the vehicle number and license details of the other party. If he was not carrying a valid license with him, or not wearing his helmet while riding a two-wheeler, it makes all the more sense to put this all down in a written statement to the police.

Also if you have a valid insurance policy on your car, why are you paying anything out of your own pocket? Let the guy file a claim with the insurance company and sort it out with the company.
Old 12th April 2010, 12:15   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
You are required by law to do the following in case of an accident:

1. Take the victim to the hospital (if he is willing).

Every person who holds a driving license should know this. If you didn't do any of these, you would be in trouble. Along with these two points you must note down the vehicle number and license details of the other party. If he was not carrying a valid license with him, or not wearing his helmet while riding a two-wheeler, it makes all the more sense to put this all down in a written statement to the police.

Also if you have a valid insurance policy on your car, why are you paying anything out of your own pocket? Let the guy file a claim with the insurance company and sort it out with the company.
Thanks Honeybee for the note, but I was more worried about the person who got hit, and could not note down his vehicle number.

That's main reason I never went to the police station, and they did not get back to me over the weekend. Till they turned back, I too thought they will not be coming back for anything.

During all course of the discussion, it did not strike to my mind that they can claim from my car insurance policy (of course, I am having a valid insurance on the car). I wanted that to be over as soon as possible, so that my wife can be with peace of mind at home, while I am away to office. Other than this I had nothing in my mind. I had left the stuff to my house owner to negotiate (I did not even expose to them that I am working as an IT Pro.). they were keen on getting 10K but I told, 5-6K is what I can give them to the max, that too against scanning charges, other than that, I cannot do anything.
Old 12th April 2010, 12:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
This point is very crucial and after 24 hours have elapsed, your case can get a little weak.
Many people who drive do not know this. This is important for filing a case or a counter case (which is the same to the Police).
Old 12th April 2010, 14:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Does it make a sense for rishie to file the police complaint now? So that next time the goons do not show up with an advocate and demand money?

Basically, does it make sense to take the legal route as a preventive measure against future harassment?
Old 12th April 2010, 14:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: The Guy, came home today morning asking for all of his hospital expenses, including the scanning charges, which will be around 10K. He bought some of the local guys to support him., initially I protested, but as per the suggestion of my house owner, I had agreed to pay him 6000/- and took a letter on a plain paper that no matter what the consequences are, I am not responsible.

I had to agree because, the guy who came supporting the hit guy, went back while I was protesting and got some local candidate for that area politician, towards my luck, my house owner knows him, and finally settled on that amount, and on the clause that he would not be coming back to me, asking for anything more.

After all the agreement was done, I asked him to wait for sometime, got the amount from nearby ATM, and asked him to sign a note, saying that I had paid so so amount and I am not reponsible for any other damages/charges incurred. He refused initially, and was insisting on the words that local guys have told, I told him, if its between you and me, I don't trust them (those supporters were not there), and I want my family to be with peace of mind, and if you are not going to sign this note, I am not going to pay anything.

Later again his supporters came, they too insisted on getting the letter signed, I took the witness signs from them too and paid him off the money.

I know, I don't have to be paying the money, but for peace of mind for my family, I decided to pay him.

I am stupid that I didnot note down his vehicle number, otherwise I would have lodged a complaint against that guy, and would have been on the safer side.

My house owner assured me that, he knows the guy who made the settlement, and they will not be coming back for sure. Even if they come back, he said, he'll be talking to those middle men directly, so that no problem will come.
Rishi,
I would have done the exact same thing as you. I rather live peacefully than have someone knocking on my door every other day.

The Cops are equally bad here but you should have approached them.
If these guys come to your house or try contacting you for whatever reason please go to the cops and also take copies the agreement that you have with these kind of people and keep the original safe!

I witnessed something similar this Saturday on bellary road right oppo shell bunk where we have a U-turn.

I was behind a new Indica Vista who had signaled that he wanted to take the U-turn. I was behind the vista, I wanted to take the U-turn as well. We both had our indicators on.
Out of nowhere a guy in this TVS centra or some TVS bike overtakes me and starts to overtake the Indica, but it was too late the Indica had started turning, Next thing I saw the biker was on the floor and poor Indica had a nice deep dent on his front door.
The biker didn't seem hurt. But he was limping a bit. I think he hurt his leg. Nothing broken. Atleast he had some senses to wear a helmet.

The Indica drivers comes out helps the biker up. I parked right behind the Indica to make sure the driver didn't get into any trouble. It wasn't his fault and I was ready to support him if needed.

To my surprise, the so called local trouble makers never showed up
A traffic constable comes and starts screaming at the bikers in Kannada saying that there is a huge U-turn board and that the Indica had clearly signaled that he wants to turn.
For once I was happy that cops don't blindly support the smaller vehicle in an accident.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I was in my hometown, I would have done the same thing. but the thing is they are localites and what if they come down home for some dispute, and my wife and kid are all alone at home. (this is the thing they rule upon.)
Sorry Rishie, I didn't notice this point earlier; anyway approaching a cop doesn't matter whether you're in hometown or not, now you haven't approached the cop, so the cops cannot support you upon a signed paper. To me I would look this way:
1. If I'm a victim of the accident, file a case so that I can arrange a mediator for the settlement without the court (sorry pal, I haven't heard justice worked in favour of victims)
2. If I'm not the victim, I would still file the case so that I'm not threatened from the other side
Old 12th April 2010, 14:46   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sorry Rishie, I didn't notice this point earlier; anyway approaching a cop doesn't matter whether you're in hometown or not, now you haven't approached the cop, so the cops cannot support you upon a signed paper. To me I would look this way:
1. If I'm a victim of the accident, file a case so that I can arrange a mediator for the settlement without the court (sorry pal, I haven't heard justice worked in favour of victims)
2. If I'm not the victim, I would still file the case so that I'm not threatened from the other side
I agree with you, but as I am not having the vehicle number, I cannot file a case against him. That's the reason I had not approached the cops.

But now, even if they want to proceed legally, they cannot, as they have signed a paper claiming no responsibility of mine, and even if the cops come in, I can file a counter case on them, saying that they have already made a settlement, and still harrassing me, by showing the letter to the cops.

Also towards the end, every one (including the middle persons) came talking my side, even forced him to sign the letter, though he was denying to sign on it.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:02   #44
BANNED

Quote:
But now, even if they want to proceed legally, they cannot, as they have signed a paper claiming no responsibility of mine
Is it a stamp paper and of what value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. It is definitely an option i would have considered if it was in the best interests of my family.
Agreeing to what rishi did in this scenario, it can lead to more harassement.

And I dont think any of us are so clueless about our rights to fall for such blackmail as shown by the victim here.

Last edited by Spitfire : 12th April 2010 at 15:05.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

From what I understood it is a plain paper. Not a stamp paper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks