Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 10:19   #136
Senior - BHPian

Assuming KA does not have a concept on FOP, how about implementing FOP. Click here to know more.

Guys just one suggestion, how about action taken against corrupt cops using a solid evidence such as camera mobile? Take pictures of cops accepting bribe or videos of cops being lazy to divert traffic or diverting traffic in wrong way & consolidate all the evidences collected in a month & submit it to the commisioner once a month?

Probably the action needn't be suspension or memo, it could be a simple warning, but the bad cop should get a feeling that he's being noticed. Likewise a good cop also should get noticed.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:11   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
Here is the plan - We can all meet (whoever is interested in joining this cause) next weekend and decide what we have to present and the feasibility of the plan.

All the pro's and con's of doing something and how effective it is going to be in short and long term.

We thought of the following:

- An Email/ SMS/ Phone system in place to handle complaints specifically against Police officers. (There is already one in place)
- A Confirmation to be sent to the complainant and action taken against the concerned and reconfirmed.
- Awareness to public via sms/ email.
- Compulsion of having the officers name and station that he reports to.
- Person can be called to the commisioner's office if need be but under anonymity.
Instant call from the nearest police station or HQ once a complaint is received at that particular number.

Let me know what you guys would like to add.
Looks perfect, count me in....let's get it rolling bro
Old 20th April 2010, 12:17   #138
Senior - BHPian

I'll tag along too.
The FOP idea seems interesting. Anyone else had a chance to explore it yet?
Old 20th April 2010, 13:30   #139
Senior - BHPian

+1.. FOP seems like a good idea. We have to check the feasibility of this during our meet as well.
Old 20th April 2010, 13:57   #140
BHPian

CorsaLove,

Just mention the time and place where we all can meet this weekend and follow up on this.Else I bet that all bangalore based threads have a tendency to run into tons of pages before the real action begins.

So lets chalk out a plan of first meeting among all of the interested t-bhpians and then lets decide the way further as to how,what problems and issues we intend to put in front of Mr.Sood and not to mention the corresponding solutions from our behalf.
Old 20th April 2010, 14:36   #141
BHPian

I am joining in too; do count me
Old 20th April 2010, 16:05   #142
BHPian

Count me in too , esp. for the tbhp meet with CP.
Old 20th April 2010, 18:16   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
Here is the plan - We can all meet (whoever is interested in joining this cause) next weekend and decide what we have to present and the feasibility of the plan.

All the pro's and con's of doing something and how effective it is going to be in short and long term.

We thought of the following:

- An Email/ SMS/ Phone system in place to handle complaints specifically against Police officers. (There is already one in place)
- A Confirmation to be sent to the complainant and action taken against the concerned and reconfirmed.
- Awareness to public via sms/ email.
- Compulsion of having the officers name and station that he reports to.
- Person can be called to the commisioner's office if need be but under anonymity.
Instant call from the nearest police station or HQ once a complaint is received at that particular number.

Let me know what you guys would like to add.
I feel we should really PUSH to ENFORCE THE LAW rather than having new things / systems introduced. It might be easier to make them enforce the law rather than reforming them.
Its not that the cops don't have access to technology. They got Blackberry. Did it improve our traffic sense? NOT A BIT.
They got huge traffic monitoring systems. Did it help? NOPE.

Here are 3 things cops SHOULD enforce which will have the most pronounced effect on our traffic and traffic-culture.
Again it needs to involve our infrastructure dept also.

1. Lane Discipline.

First of all, to be in the correct lane, you have to know which lane to take.
Without proper sign-boards its not possible. You'll always find people on the left-lane trying to turn right at the junction....coz' they didn't know.
Sign-boards should tell which lane goes where. The boards should be kept WELL AHEAD of the junction and NOT AT the junction.
So, get sign-boards first, and then we can enforce lane discipline.

For lane discipline, no need of fine.
Just make sure that left-lane vehicles turn left and right-lane vehicles turn right. Make them do that. Thats the best punishment.
Again, there are 2-lane road junctions where you need to stick to left lane to go straight and sometimes its the right-lane to go straight.
In such cases, there must be sign-boards WELL AHEAD telling which lane to take.

This is NOT so difficult as it seems. Look at the number of Aircel ads on Hebbal flyover. Those guys spent so much money on them. Govt made money on those ads.
But, did they bother to put proper signage where the road forks? NO.
Was that rocket science? NO.
Was that common sense? YES

When they built KR Puram hanging bridge, it took them MORE THAN AN YEAR to fix a sign-board telling which road goes where.
Till then you could see trucks / cabs stop at the already clogged busy tin-factory junction and asking for directions. And even worse, you could see trucks coming down the bridge in reverse.
Could this have been avoided? YES

2. Catch / punish signal offenders.

3. Catch / punish those driving on the other side of divided roads....including cops who advise the public to do so.

-- Torqy
Old 20th April 2010, 18:32   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I feel we should really PUSH to ENFORCE THE LAW rather than having new things / systems introduced. It might be easier to make them enforce the law rather than reforming them.
Its not that the cops don't have access to technology. They got Blackberry. Did it improve our traffic sense? NOT A BIT.
They got huge traffic monitoring systems. Did it help? NOPE.

Here are 3 things cops SHOULD enforce which will have the most pronounced effect on our traffic and traffic-culture.
Again it needs to involve our infrastructure dept also.

1. Lane Discipline.

First of all, to be in the correct lane, you have to know which lane to take.
Without proper sign-boards its not possible. You'll always find people on the left-lane trying to turn right at the junction....coz' they didn't know.
Sign-boards should tell which lane goes where. The boards should be kept WELL AHEAD of the junction and NOT AT the junction.
So, get sign-boards first, and then we can enforce lane discipline.

For lane discipline, no need of fine.
Just make sure that left-lane vehicles turn left and right-lane vehicles turn right. Make them do that. Thats the best punishment.
Again, there are 2-lane road junctions where you need to stick to left lane to go straight and sometimes its the right-lane to go straight.
In such cases, there must be sign-boards WELL AHEAD telling which lane to take.

This is NOT so difficult as it seems. Look at the number of Aircel ads on Hebbal flyover. Those guys spent so much money on them. Govt made money on those ads.
But, did they bother to put proper signage where the road forks? NO.
Was that rocket science? NO.
Was that common sense? YES

When they built KR Puram hanging bridge, it took them MORE THAN AN YEAR to fix a sign-board telling which road goes where.
Till then you could see trucks / cabs stop at the already clogged busy tin-factory junction and asking for directions. And even worse, you could see trucks coming down the bridge in reverse.
Could this have been avoided? YES

2. Catch / punish signal offenders.

3. Catch / punish those driving on the other side of divided roads....including cops who advise the public to do so.

-- Torqy
with torqy.

But finally on analyzing the whole issue I have realized that its not the traffic problems at all.

Its the same problem which afflicts the other sore community of our society-the politicians.

You got it right.Its corruption.

Just imagine if the cops stop taking bribe then we would not require any of the mentioned solutions in this thread.Till then no matter how much innovative we become and come around with new solutions, nothing is going to work.

Because at the implementation level of this whole issue lies the corrupt cop who knows the invisible income per day he collects is more than his salary.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:40   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
But finally on analyzing the whole issue I have realized that its not the traffic problems at all.

Its the same problem which afflicts the other sore community of our society-the politicians.

You got it right.Its corruption.
+ zillion to that! Here's my post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1836537that is in line with what you have said!
Old 20th April 2010, 23:12   #146
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
....................... to do so.

-- Torqy
Boy, this is never possible unless we have honest officers. Once the officers have the fear of getting penalised, they will obviously make the people do what is required.

Making signals, road dividers, lane discipline etc.. is already existing. it's just that no one is following it, because the cops are not enforcing it into them. Once they know that everyone's behind their A** to check whether they are doing their job properly, they will start doing it already.

All I need to do is, report that _____ Cop at ____ place is not doing the ____ thing properly, or _____ thing wrongly. He will be penalised for that, and next time am sure he will not repeat the same mistake again.
Old 21st April 2010, 04:08   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Boy, this is never possible unless we have honest officers. Once the officers have the fear of getting penalised, they will obviously make the people do what is required.

Making signals, road dividers, lane discipline etc.. is already existing. it's just that no one is following it, because the cops are not enforcing it into them. Once they know that everyone's behind their A** to check whether they are doing their job properly, they will start doing it already.

All I need to do is, report that _____ Cop at ____ place is not doing the ____ thing properly, or _____ thing wrongly. He will be penalised for that, and next time am sure he will not repeat the same mistake again.
I agree with Ranjan.

Torqy - You actually answered your own queries. Getting to the root of the problem, we have to start from what cops are not doing, so they start doing it and there is a scare among them that public has a means of listing them.

The carrot always does not work so the cane has to come in picture sometime.

I'm still stern on the fact that if there is good to and fro communication between the public and the police on all the issues and if there is action taken on it, things will change and they will change fast.

All the guys, ok in meeting up this or next weekend? I just got confirmation that we cannot schedule an appointment this month with the commisioner as he is busy. It has to be first week of may only. So we have ample time to plan and define.
Old 21st April 2010, 13:38   #148
Senior - BHPian

Lets meet up sometime this weekend to plan so that we are ready to meet the Commissioner either first or second week of May.

How are the others placed to make it this weekend?
Old 21st April 2010, 13:59   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Lets meet up sometime this weekend to plan so that we are ready to meet the Commissioner either first or second week of May.

How are the others placed to make it this weekend?
I am game this weekend.Provided Corsalove is free because he is the one who can arrange for a discussion with the Traffic Commisionner.So we need to ensure his presence for the meet.
Old 21st April 2010, 16:34   #150
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Though i do not condone any act of corruption, don't we need to look at another aspect, which is the conditions and the way these people need to operate?
They have literally no powers, any idiot can claim to be a so and so of Mr Mantriji and get away?
If we can quote 100s of examples of corrupt policemen, they can give you equal number of cases where they just have to let go of offenders cause they have "influence" or just escape as the systems are messed up( saying since i had a detailed talk with a senior official near my home booking offenders)
Corruption has 2 parts, the person asking money and the one offering. I think its almost impossible to put the blame on a side, it works both ways. However there needs to be a way to have powers in the hand of honest people on either side to take the dishonest party to task. Question- how do you decide who is honest?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks