Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2013, 12:39   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Traffic Police - What's Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post

Here is the shock, on 12 February I was in office from 10 AM to 7-30 PM as usual.

"Mekri circle"? And when I go for the evidence, of course I get this.

Obviously, the duty constable took down a wrong number. As a result, I am going to pay Rs 100/- for no mistake of mine. I know, I can file a complain for this, but truly speaking, I am going to pay this Rs 100/-fine to save my energy and time which is more worthy.
Same thing here! 2 of my rides have 2 fines pending on them! and one of the fines is for over speeding in Electronic city limits. On that day I was never in the area!

One of the fines reads ->
DRIVING DANGEROUSLY - NON TRANSPORT VEHICLES
Fine amount 400Rs!
Old 13th October 2013, 21:38   #227
BHPian

My theory seems to be right!
Old 14th October 2013, 21:53   #228
Senior - BHPian

Got this off of the BTP page:

"Dear fellow Bangaloreans,

BE AWARE OF OWNING VOLKSWAGENS IN BANGALORE CITY -
There we were driving back in our VW Polo with a standard horn sound (as supplied by VW) via Rajajinagar on this fine public holiday, wearing our seat belts, our insurance and d/l at hand cruising at 30kmph when a familiar white hat stops us. Before letting annoyance take over, we asked him what our offense was and here's the answer -
Traffic Policeman - 'Madam, please honk..'
Me - (Weird..) okay.. (and I honk)..
Traffic Policeman - 'Get out of your car and come over Madam'
Me - (????? What the hell!) 'Excuse me?'
Traffic Policeman - 'Your horn sound is against the rules'
Me - (????WTH again..) 'It came with the car'
Traffic Policeman - 'No you asked your manufacturer to change it for you'
Me - (WTH..again..) 'No, it came with the car' (I'm mad at the liberty taken by him to accuse me of something I haven't done but I collect myself together) 'this is how the manufacturer supplied it, we haven't changed it'
Traffic Policeman - 'Get out of the car and give me your license'
Me - (thoroughly violated and offended but getting out of the car hoping he can see sense but by that time another VW, a Jetta, and its occupants had been targeted)
He makes the same argument with me and insists very rudely that the horn violates some (secret) rule. He also insists on serving a notice for absolutely no fault of our own.

What I would like to know, dear Bangalore Traffic Police, is if owning a Volkswagen is now a crime in Bangalore? Because as far as we know Volkswagen since its entry in India has manufactured every car with the same horn. As per the person in the photo below, Inspector Rajajinagar jurisdiction, we have committed a crime by owning and driving a VW while abiding by traffic rules.

Or was this all a stunt to establish authority and earn some extra on a holiday?

Suggestion- If VW is manufacturing cars with horns violating traffic rules, serve them a notice and make it public before you target poor innocent citizens!"

Pretty unfortunate, eh?
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 22:56   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

Pretty unfortunate, eh?

Why don't you contact BM? (Media) They always publish such articles in their papers. This story is quite big if they are targeting only VW cars and that to done by just 1 police jurisdiction.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 14th October 2013 at 22:57.
Old 14th October 2013, 23:05   #230
BHPian

Quote:

There we were driving back in our VW Polo with a standard horn sound
This sounds similar. If I remember well, not sure which city cops but they used to target Skoda's for projector head lights and fine the owners, in spite of the owner showing the manual that its manufacture provided.

-Sajan
Old 15th October 2013, 04:57   #231
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Got this off of the BTP page: "Dear fellow Bangaloreans, BE AWARE OF OWNING VOLKSWAGENS IN BANGALORE CITY - There we were driving back in our VW Polo with a standard horn sound (as supplied by VW) via Rajajinagar on this fine public holiday, wearing our seat belts, our insurance and d/l at hand cruising at 30kmph when a familiar white hat stops us. Before letting annoyance take over, we asked him what our offense was and here's the answer - Traffic Policeman - 'Madam, please honk..' Me - (Weird..) okay.. (and I honk).. Traffic Policeman - 'Get out of your car and come over Madam' Me - (????? What the hell!) 'Excuse me?' Traffic Policeman - 'Your horn sound is against the rules' Me - (????WTH again..) 'It came with the car' Traffic Policeman - 'No you asked your manufacturer manufacturing cars with horns violating
Ridiculous. Let them first enforce the law on the horrible private inter state buses, government buses, lorries, dirty call centre sumo taxis and other taxis all of whom have loud horns and who keep banging on and on! Bangalore is becoming intolerably irrational!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th October 2013 at 05:21. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 09:18   #232
Senior - BHPian

If you watch National Geographic, you'll notice that lions prey on baby animals (fawns or calves) more than their parents (deer, wildebeests etc) whenever possible. Bigger ones are hard to catch and they fight back.

Smaller ones are innocent, and do not have the energy to fight back. They put up a mild fight. At that moment, more lions from the pack pounce on it, and the poor little thing loses whatever energy it has left.

You know what I mean?

I think traffic police all over India are the same. Only the degree of their wickedness varies.

I think we need a private car owners' union

Last edited by rohanjf : 15th October 2013 at 09:20.
Old 15th October 2013, 10:29   #233
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Horns - Illegal as per Bangalore Traffic police!

While browsing through Facebook, I happened to stumble upon a post made by a VW Polo user on Bangalore Traffic Police's page.

She was caught by a traffic policeman for using the horn in her Polo that came with the car from factory! The policeman insisted that they are illegal and it violates 'some' rule.

IMO, VW horns (wind tone types) are the most sweet sounding and aren't loud. It seems that it is legal in every other corner of the world except Bangalore!

Below is an excerpt of that post.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 2008
Size:  26.7 KB

How can we put some sense into whoever decides these rules on the fly?

EDIT: I really hope no-one gives this idea to Kerala Transport commissioner who is notoriously keen on enforcing many such useless/non-existent rules along with the useful ones!

Last edited by clevermax : 15th October 2013 at 10:38.
Old 15th October 2013, 10:57   #234
Team-BHP Support

Everyday, I see people blatantly breaking the law. If I get a 100 bucks for every violation I see, I can give up my day job and still have enough money for my kids. BMTC buses and taxi drivers jumping red-lights at traffic signals, auto rickshaw drivers not wearing uniforms, people on two wheelers not wearing helmets and often accompanied by a third friend, privately run buses with horns louder than sirens and people in general giving two hoots to most B-Trac boards.

But it's the law abiding citizen who usually gets caught and fined.

BTP has the gaul to stop people who follow rules and extort money from them whilst they let the real offenders get away scot free. Makes you wonder if it's worth following rules at all!

Obviously the real offenders are those who are trying to make ends meet, so there is little / nothing you can extract from them. So the best thing to do is target those who drive privately registered cars as they're the ones who generally carry cash.
Old 17th October 2013, 12:03   #235
BHPian

Well I have a question :-

What if you move on and ask the policeman to prove it in court?
One of my friend's did it.

Traffic police stopped him, said you broke signal. He said - Nopes, look around there are more than 30 vehicles crossing me from the same side. When I crossed it was positively green. Plus you are standing 200 mtrs down the road, how can you say for sure.

Policeman starts mumbo jumbo and law and all that, stating that he can be dragged to court for this offence.
Friend gets agitated, sits in car, starts it and calmly says, please send me a court summon and prove that I jumped a red signal. You can note down my car number and my name if you wish to.

Well, policeman noted down nothing and let him go.

So, can you actually do it? How will law decide who is right?
Old 17th October 2013, 12:19   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
So, can you actually do it? How will law decide who is right?
Kanoon saboot mangta hai. If the cops have actual evidence - like camera evidence - then you lose in court. Otherwise, presumption of innocence works for you. Most people don't opt for this because of the hassle involved in going to court etc.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 13:32   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Be in their shoes for a moment,look at their working conditions,meagre salary so on.I never really get angry at them or find faults at them. If you have so much anger to vent out show it to corrupt beaconed bureaucrats, unproductive politicians, Let your wrath be constructive. Much of who complain won't even stand their tyranny for couple of hours in dust/smoke and hot sun.
This is an opinion that many people express to justify the bribes and the behaviour that the traffice cops indulge in regularly. Firstly, becoming a cop was their choice and they should have been well aware of the working conditions and the compensation involved. The cops are also taught various traffic rules and regulations including the laws and by-laws of the India constitution when recruited. It is a responsibility of the cops to create awareness of such rules/laws in the general public. Everyone in the public do not undergo training on every law or rules.
Traffic cops are also supposed to manage the traffic is such a way that the traffic flow is smooth and does not hinder general public. I read somewhere that traffic police are not supposed to flag down a vehicle without any offence being committed. Only in a Naka Bandi, the general police can stop vehicles randomly and inspect it and its owners.
Lastly, traffic police should behave cordially and decently with any citizen but it a bike/auto driver or a car/truck driver or even a pedestrian.
sukhoi30 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 15:52   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
This is an opinion that many people express to justify the bribes and the behaviour that the traffice cops indulge in regularly. Firstly, becoming a cop was their choice and they should have been well aware of the working conditions and the compensation involved. The cops are also taught various traffic rules and regulations including the laws and by-laws of the India constitution when recruited. It is a responsibility of the cops to create awareness of such rules/laws in the general public. Everyone in the public do not undergo training on every law or rules.
Traffic cops are also supposed to manage the traffic is such a way that the traffic flow is smooth and does not hinder general public. I read somewhere that traffic police are not supposed to flag down a vehicle without any offence being committed. Only in a Naka Bandi, the general police can stop vehicles randomly and inspect it and its owners.
Lastly, traffic police should behave cordially and decently with any citizen but it a bike/auto driver or a car/truck driver or even a pedestrian.
Bang On - Rightly said @sukhoi. On top of this, they have some sort of envy on IT employees. Remember my friend was caught near Central railway station chennai at no fault of his. He has been asked to pay 100 and the guy in uniform told " you all earn in lakhs, sitting in AC room, Buying swanky mobile etc.. Why cant you give 100 INR ".
My friend replied - "I worked hard to reach this position and it didnt come on a single day" and he gave him a fresh cooled water bottle he had and went off.

Who asked them to be in this job, if the income is not enough or work load is too much, they can always resign and do a better job.

I will never accept this argument.
Reisender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 22:06   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Off late I have noticed that the cops are randomly stopping vehicles (especially 2 wheelers) for document checks. Seen this on 13th cross Indiranagar and CV Raman Hospital Indiranagar near the Metro Station. An earlier press release had mentioned that cops cannot stop vehicles just for document checking unless they have committed a violation. Has this been revoked?
With reference to the above, during the whole week I noted an inspector and constable stopping 2&3wheelers for document checking at Malleshwaram 10th Cross (near Nalli's). Today it was even worse with 3 inspectors and 3 constables at the same spot. For once I felt people would start carrying documents, wearing helmets only when the stick is shown. Hope they flag down a few private buses and office cabs as well.
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:16   #240
BHPian

My ticket is dated Sep 30. I still can't find it on their system, either with Notice # or with my car registration #.

What do I do now?

Most Viewed