Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 08:05   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Not to offend, I really fail to understand this attitude.
We "outsiders", i guess thats the best way the "locals" will uderstand us. Love this city immensely. We complain because we want to see things get better.

Think of us as people who want to make a difference for the good but are restricted because the "locals" think we are the reason for all the bad in the first place.

And I accept that not all are good.

We are going maha OT though here.

@technologist: Good post. Since we both come from Goa we have an ingrained sense of traffic.

I too have driven in all major cities in India and abroad.

Just to give an insight. See what a Bangalorean thinks about the traffic in Goa:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
2. Yes, Goa roads are excellent but the real icing on the cake is the driving culture of the GA registered vehicles. Sane, patient, mannered, devoid of and monkey tricks and zig-zags on the road. It was easy to spot an outstation vehicle just by looking at the vehicles ahead or behind you.
Taken from: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1772585

Its a culture thing for us. We have got used to looking at the bigger picture and thinking about others and not only us. This does not mean that we are perfect but situations like the one in this post never arise. During the tourist season the number of vehicles in our state almost jumps to double the local population. We still dont see the huge jams and wrong lane driving in Goa.
Old 15th April 2010, 10:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

Seriously off topic guys.

Why don't you start a separate thread on the importance of learning local language and continue your discussion there ?

This thread is about Bangalore Traffic Police and their inability to ensure proper traffic flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
A software guy cheesed off and made a complained at the help line. Help line advised him to take snaps. He took snaps but the cops caught him and gave him a slap. When encountered by others they gave some story of obstructing justice blah blah blah. Few calls were made to Commisioner, ACP etc and they also sided the cops version and was of not much help. Finally the issue was compromised and an apology letter from the poor software guy closed the matter.
It is against the law to take someone's photograph without their permission. It is considered invasion of privacy. The software engineer was lucky that he got away with just a slap and apology.

He should have taken help of media to investigate and report the matter rather than taking the matter in his own hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Things went back to normal for few weeks, cops making fines on Blockberry, favors, gifts and some bribe, till one day they catch a local with some connection. An hour of verbal duel, few well connected guys and notorious characters come into the picture during this time. Cops are taken to task and stern warning issued to them in very clear terms.

Its been a week or two and no sign of the cop party at the spot.

So who is better, cops or the local thugs?
Cops are still present in Koramangala at strategic locations like Sony World Junction, Jyoti Nivas College, HDFC bank etc. But now they don't stop anyone unless they have broken some rule.

They have been instructed by ACP traffic not to stop vehicles randomly. Not sure if above incident caused this to happen.

Quote:
Man! If were so easy to pull a bluff like this on somebody who probably has seen thousands of such attempts. Be gentle and polite but firm. Your attitude can land you in unnecessary trouble if you are not well "connected".

Hope you don't really believe this for your own good.
I would not do it in Bangalore since I am not a localite. But I have seen well connected localites have that kind of attitude. As mentioned in Jaggu's post (see above), one such well connected localite who confronts with these corrupt cops can make life easier for the rest of us.

Rohan
Old 15th April 2010, 11:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

Good post techn0l0gist.

Only thing i will say about the language issue is that many times people choose to stick to kannada even if they know hindi/english and even after the other person has explained to him that he/she does not know kannada. That, to me, is really pathetic attitude.

As for the cops in Bangalore, they are the lamest bunch i have ever seen. 'Nuff said.
Old 15th April 2010, 11:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here in TBHP who knows/understands how the traffic police system works internally? In different metros? What are the flaws? How it can be improved?

I find nothing constructive in going about ranting on the system/language/locals.

I am not a local, but I have learned bits and pieces of the language. I have faced situations where officials have reciprocated in English/Hindi, with a smile, to my broken Kannada. There were cases were some of them tried to speak in broken Tamil/Malayalam.
And I would not relate this to 'cosmopolitan'. You would hardly find anyone speaking English in Germany (Berlin/Munich/Frankfurt). I had to manage with bits and pieces of Deutsch. Does that mean that Germany is not 'cosmopolitan'?
Old 15th April 2010, 11:21   #65
Senior - BHPian

Here is another incident happened to a friend of mine called Shiv. He was riding on his Pulsar near Hebbal, and there were a bunch of cops (a few constables and two inspectors) who stopped him. One constable came to him and asked for the documents. Shiv did one big mistake. He first gave the emission certificate and license (which was in his wallet), and then took out the other documents from the toolbox and gave to the constable.

He told me that when he bent down to open the toolbox, he noticed the constable sliding something in his pocket, but chose to ignore it. BIG mistake. The the constable asked Shiv to talk to the inspector. And the inspector asked for emission certificate. Shiv said the constable has it. Constable refused, saying Shiv gave him only the license. Shiv told the constable to check his pockets, and the inspector shouted at Shiv, "what do you think? Do you think he is lying?". Then another constable joined the argument.

When 3 cops are shouting at you, claiming that you are falsely accusing them, and when you can't speak rough Kannada (Shiv is a Mangalorean like me, and when we shout, people say it sounds as if we are praising. We can't really speak in a harsh tone :-( ), what is the outcome? Pay the fine just to get out of that situation. That's what Shiv did.

So guys, always make sure that you give only one document to the cop at a time, and make sure that it is back in your hand before to hand over another document!!

Last edited by rohanjf : 15th April 2010 at 11:23.
Old 15th April 2010, 11:48   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
Also Bangalore has the rudest and most selfish motorists when it comes to basic things like allowing someone to change lanes, right of way at intersections, driving with low beams, honoring signals, and so on - almost everybody is in a hurry to try and go ahead and create a traffic jam by blocking the next guy and creating a deadlock whenever possible!
Well said. On the occassions when i stop to allow another motorist to
take a U Turn, the way they appreciate the gesture really makes your day. Not surprising, considering how rarely that happens.
Old 15th April 2010, 12:10   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
He told me that when he bent down to open the toolbox, he noticed the constable sliding something in his pocket, but chose to ignore it. BIG mistake. The the constable asked Shiv to talk to the inspector. And the inspector asked for emission certificate. Shiv said the constable has it. Constable refused, saying Shiv gave him only the license. Shiv told the constable to check his pockets, and the inspector shouted at Shiv, "what do you think? Do you think he is lying?". Then another constable joined the argument.
I was also tricked by a constable-inspector duo in a similar manner.

I handed over the documents to the inspector, then suddenly constable diverted my attention by showing list of fines for offenses. As he diverted my attention, the inspector quickly removed my license (photo copy) from the bunch of papers and clipped it in his writing pad.

After paying the fine, I told him that he forgot to return me my license (pointing to his writing pad). Since he was caught in the act, he returned the license politely.

Because of such experiences, I never carry original documents. It doesn't matter if they pocket a photo copy of my documents as long as I have the originals safe at home. Just imagine how much bargaining power they would have if they pocket your original document.

Rohan
Old 15th April 2010, 12:50   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Has anyone noticed the fat looking black mamba cop with big mustache guiding traffic at the Electronic city signal in the morning.I have seen him getting irritated and jumping on the bonet of an alto car hurling abuses at the driver who seemed so helpless. If he had done it to my beast I would have run him over there itself.

Some cops treat us citizens as if we are their slaves.
No wonder when I went to Canada and the cop waved at me and said good morning I fainted.Can demography bring around change in cops behaviour too??

I know lots of people will now argue saying that Indian cops are grossly under salaried and stuff but does that give them the authority to make the riders dance to their tunes?
Please do it, I want to see this, I sometimes wonder the way cops stand in mid of the road to stop speeding vehicles, what they think they are Superman?
Old 15th April 2010, 13:08   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Something is seriously wrong with this place.
Quote:
By far Bangalore has the worst traffic sense
Quote:
Bangalore has the rudest and most selfish motorists
Quote:
No where in the country have I seen a traffic sub inspector being shouted at by a cab driver
Quote:
1 more thing I would like to stress which I have seen only in BANGALORE . Traffic cops spitting on vehicles which don't stop
Quote:
As for the cops in Bangalore, they are the lamest bunch i have ever seen. 'Nuff said.
My objections is for this unhealthy attitude. What is cynicism if not this?
Old 15th April 2010, 13:52   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Fully agree on this. I have seen places (many at that) and to hear these kind of comments is NOT acceptable at all. I am a localite and am as much frustrated about the traffic discipline / chaos here as any other. But to say this is the worst place is not correct. There are other places which are far worse in India w.r.t traffic and cops than Bengalooru. I can quote umpteen experiences about traffic chaos in different parts of the country, but that will not help.
Old 15th April 2010, 13:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the attitude, but some plain facts affecting our City!
Not that we are happy about it, but hoping for a change...
Old 15th April 2010, 14:01   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
This has nothing to do with the attitude, but some plain facts affecting our City!
Really? "By far Bangalore has the worst traffic sense", "Bangalore has the rudest and most selfish motorists" are facts?
Old 15th April 2010, 14:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really? "By far Bangalore has the worst traffic sense", "Bangalore has the rudest and most selfish motorists" are facts?
I am have not driven much in other places, so not sure, but some of the Bhpians who have done that have commented the same.
You can find some of those observations on this thread itself.
Old 15th April 2010, 14:09   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Some of the Bhpians who have done that have commented the same. You can find some of those observations on this thread itself.
That is exactly what I am objecting to .
Old 15th April 2010, 14:10   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
No where in the country have I seen a traffic sub inspector being shouted at by a cab driver and told to get lost when the cop stopped the cab driver for going the wrong way! The cab moved on and the cop threw a stone at the cab in frustration - i've never seen a cop so helpless - what's the use of all the power if he bowed down to a dumb cab driver ! Try doing this in mumbai or delhi.
Reminds me of an event i saw years back when i was a kid and which is still evergreen in my mind.

There was a vehicle inspection going and vehicles were being stopped. An auto did not stop and the auto driver showed some hand signs and passed comments at cops and sped away.

Unfortunately, the auto got held up at a traffic light about 300 mts away and I was shocked to see the cops run after the auto, they literally ran all the way till the traffic light and got hold of the auto guy.

Needless to say what would have happened next.

Its not a good idea to rub on the wrong side with the cops and they can get real tough and mean.

Most Viewed