Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 14:12   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
That is exactly what I am objecting to .
Objecting to what?
If some of the Bhpians who driven in other places say that Blore has the worst traffic sense, why do you need to object their observation or opinion?
Old 15th April 2010, 14:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My objections is for this unhealthy attitude. What is cynicism if not this?
The OP may have exaggerated a bit, and his choice of words may not be ideal, but I do agree with most of the points mentioned by him.

- Bangaloreans (including both localites and immigrants) do not have adequate road sense

- Most Bangalore motorists (including both localites and immigrants) are selfish are rude

- Bangalore Traffic Police does not do its job properly, inspite of having all fancy gadgets and technology. They display their power only in front of law abiding citizens, but let the real offenders (cabbies, transport vehicles) roam freely.

There is nothing wrong in pointing out problems. I would do the same even in my home town.

People are pointing out problems because they feel connected to this city and hope to see the conditions improve.

Accepting the problem is the first step towards solving it.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2010, 14:17   #78
BANNED

Quote:
All that is true and is directed against the road behaviour of this city and the residents care a damn attitude.

Somebody once said to understand the people of a place watch how they behave on the roads.

Its not cynicism its facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
But to say this is the worst place is not correct.
I have driven in most major cities in India and also abroad. And I think this city tops the bad pile.

Quote:
There are other places which are far worse in India w.r.t traffic and cops than Bengalooru.
Please open a thread for it. Let us know what you see that you assume we dont.

Quote:
I can quote umpteen experiences about traffic chaos in different parts of the country, but that will not help.
Please do and it will help.

Quote:
Really? "By far Bangalore has the worst traffic sense", "Bangalore has the rudest and most selfish motorists" are facts?
Yes. Our PM when he was in Bangalore said the same. Now the Prime Minister cannot be trusted too?

Quote:
The OP may have exaggerated a bit, and his choice of words may not be ideal, but I do agree with most of the points mentioned by him.

I understand you acknowledge.

What have I exaggerated? I linked a video of sheer stupidity. It could have ended in people getting greviously hurt.

And please leave the choice of words to what is fair and not to the MODS.

Look at rishie's case elsewhere. Why did he have to do what he did? Not a single localite who could see the wrong and could have stood with him and given him the courage to fight, helped him. Instead asked him to pay up to he goons.

What we are saying is perfectly true and if some cant digest the truth. Dig your head in the ground.

Look at the alarming incident narrated by Jaggu. It makes me wonder, are the cops only for outsiders?

Each of us here are law abiding citizens. We have friends and relatives whomwe care for going out each day to earn. The lawlessness on the roads and the apathy of the cops here scares us. We are raising these concerns because we want solutions.

Instead we are been asked to grin and bear.

Please all you localites out here when was the last time you guys stood for a right not bothering whether the person is a localite or not?

Punish the wrong dont bother whether he is an outsider or not.

Last edited by Dippy : 16th April 2010 at 15:32. Reason: Correcting spelling - directing
Old 15th April 2010, 14:53   #79
MCR
BHPian

Guys can all of you cut this 'insider' - 'outsider' thing out.

We have a very grave situation at hand. The traffic is piling day after day and we have no proper traffic management. The less said the better about the cops. Most of them, if not all, are corrupt. Cops take their own interest first. They donot bother about any 'insider ' or 'outsider'.
So what can we do as residents of Bangalore, apart from cribbing about the same?
1. Always stick to traffic rules, no matter come what may.
2. Stop and avoid trying to 'teach' non-followers, traffic lessons. This helps in avoiding road rage.
3. Help creating awareness within your friends circle.
4. Learn to excuse.
5. If not happy with driving, take a cab or Volvo.
6. Mistakes are made by people, anticipate this and move-on.
7. At the end of the day, everybody wants a good life and be happy with their respective families.

I am not a Saint, but I am putting these to practice.
Old 15th April 2010, 14:57   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Really? "By far Bangalore has the worst traffic sense", "Bangalore has the rudest and most selfish motorists" are facts?
Why do we even need to compare with other cities?

If your house is leaking, would you try to fix it or ask your neighbour how much his house is leaking....and then take a decision?

A murderer of 5 doesn't become good compared to a murderer of 10, right?
So, if Bangalore traffic is BAD, it's BAD enough.

Let's try to fix it....and lets fix it together rather than dividing people based on their mother tongue. "Live and let live" is long forgotten.

But if YOU DO NOT find any problem with the current state of affairs, it's a totally different thing.

-- Torqy
Old 15th April 2010, 15:17   #81
BHPian

[quote=Spitfire;1839574]I have driven in most major cities in India and also abroad. And I think this city tops the bad pile.

Please open a thread for it. Let us know what you see that you assume we dont.

Please do and it will help.

Yes. Our PM when he was in Bangalore said the same. Now the Prime Minister cannot be trusted too?

What have I exaggerated? I linked a video of sheer stupidity. It could have ended in people getting greviously hurt. quote]

If you have driven in major cities, so have I and as i said, traffic is equally bad in other cities and I have seen similar instances as well. Am in no way justifying the choatic traffic in Bangalore. Let's start a thread on traffic / street / traffic cop experiences for different cities.

What am not pleased about is the way the discussion is going on about being a localite / outsider / local langauge etc.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:25   #82
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, as Torqy said, let us all team-bhpians from Bangalore try to solve the problem ourselves. I believe the number of team-bhpians in Bangalore is HUGE. Instead of blaming the cops for their inefficiency, how about we all following all the traffic rules when we are on the road? I know quite a few people who drive sanely abroad, but are maniacs here. So, when they see someone else obeying the rules, they know what exactly is going on, and hopefully they'll try to go the right path too. And when more and more private vehicles start obeying the laws, and inspiring other motorists, one day even cabbies might change.

Or am I hoping for too much? :-D
Old 15th April 2010, 15:43   #83
Senior - BHPian

So the thread starter was pissed off because people behind him could get ahead of him. It then led him to show all the other bad things that was happening around. What would this person do if he was actually behind and was one of the beneficiaries?

During evening times, there is more traffic coming towards Manipal hostpital than the other side which might have prompted the cop to do it. After all he is not the smartest guy and might have done what he did.

I travel on old airport road everyday, This is one of the roads where the cops do maintain the traffic well and even if the traffic is slow sometimes, there are no major jams.

I think we should stop this local and outside business. This is our country and there are lot of bad things everywhere. Lets not judge either. My parents were from outside state and I am from here.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:44   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you have driven in major cities, so have I and as i said, traffic is equally bad in other cities and I have seen similar instances as well. Am in no way justifying the choatic traffic in Bangalore. Let's start a thread on traffic / street / traffic cop experiences for different cities.

What am not pleased about is the way the discussion is going on about being a localite / outsider / local langauge etc.
If you have accepted the traffic part, then you should also accept the fact that this city ain't really kind to outsiders either. Of course, hardly any city is. But then again, hardly any city has decent traffic sense either. But still the fact remains. Why deny it?
Old 15th April 2010, 15:53   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
If you have accepted the traffic part, then you should also accept the fact that this city ain't really kind to outsiders either. Of course, hardly any city is. But then again, hardly any city has decent traffic sense either. But still the fact remains. Why deny it?
When you say hardly any city is kind to outsiders, you are answering as well ain't it? Where is the question of denying it, but why make it specific to Bangalore?
Old 15th April 2010, 15:55   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Lets leave the Prime Minister out of this please. Roads are cleared for these VVIPs, they have no right/knowledge to comment on the traffic situation in any city.

Quote:

What have I exaggerated? I linked a video of sheer stupidity. It could have ended in people getting greviously hurt.

And please leave the choice of words to what is fair and not to the MODS.
Don't get me wrong buddy, I totally understand how you feel. And I feel the same way.

What I meant by your exaggeration/choice of words is that you have made superlative statements like Bangalore has the worst traffic sense, Bangalore has the rudest and most selfish motorists etc. But again, that is your way of saying things. Different people have different ways of saying the same things. Some people say things in a polished manner, some put it bluntly.

Quote:
Look at rishie's case elsewhere. Why did he have to do what he did? Not a single localite who could see the wrong and could have stood with him and given him the courage to fight, helped him. Instead asked him to pay up to he goons.

What we are saying is perfectly true and if some cant digest the truth. Dig your head in the ground.

Look at the alarming incident narrated by Jaggu. It makes me wonder, are the cops only for outsiders?

Each of us here are law abiding citizens. We have friends and relatives whomwe care for going out each day to earn. The lawlessness on the roads and the apathy of the cops here scares us. We are raising these concerns because we want solutions.

Instead we are been asked to grin and bear.

Please all you localites out here when was the last time you guys stood for a right not bothering whether the person is a localite or not?

Punish the wrong dont bother whether he is an outsider or not.
This localite-outsider issue will be there in almost any city. Its just that there are so many outsiders in Bangalore that we come to hear about these incidents very often.

I'm sure that the local goons in my home town would also try to take advantage of an outsider in their city, and most probably a house owner in my city also would not like to get involved with local goons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Why do we even need to compare with other cities?

If your house is leaking, would you try to fix it or ask your neighbour how much his house is leaking....and then take a decision?

A murderer of 5 doesn't become good compared to a murderer of 10, right?
So, if Bangalore traffic is BAD, it's BAD enough.

Let's try to fix it....and lets fix it together rather than dividing people based on their mother tongue. "Live and let live" is long forgotten.

But if YOU DO NOT find any problem with the current state of affairs, it's a totally different thing.

-- Torqy
That it the right attitude. There is no need to compare Bangalore's traffic situation with that of other cities. If there is something wrong in our city, we will point it out and see to it that it gets corrected.

Rohan
Old 15th April 2010, 18:36   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you say hardly any city is kind to outsiders, you are answering as well ain't it? Where is the question of denying it, but why make it specific to Bangalore?
You accepted that although traffic is bad in all cities, it doesnt mean we should do nothing about the traffic situation in Bangalore. I dont hear you or anyone saying that although no outsider is welcomed in any city, it doesnt mean we shouldn't try to set this right in Bangalore.
Just scroll down the posts. People saying "dont bring localite - outsider into the picture" is nothing but denial.
I am bringing Bangalore into the picture because i am living in Bangalore. I thought that was kinda obvious.

You ask where is the question of denying. I ask where is resolve to fix it?
As long as we have people hiding under the excuse that its happening all over the country, and refusing to accept it as a problem that needs to be addressed at individual levels, i will consider it as denial.
Old 15th April 2010, 19:41   #88
BANNED

+1000000 to whatever spitfire and torqy said.

Please accept the fact guys, we are not saying BaNgalore is the worst place, it's about the traffic and the cops. What's so offending?

Quote:
Come on, have we started deciding on whose attitude is unhealthy and whose healthy? There is nothing unhealthy in speaking out the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So the thread starter was pissed off because people behind him could get ahead of him.
Excuse me, you are wrong. He is offended with the fact the Cops are forcing people to break the rules.

Please do not re-frame the meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Lets leave the Prime Minister out of this please. Roads are cleared for these VVIPs, they have no right/knowledge to comment on the traffic situation in any city.
Rohan, the PM said it EVEN after the roads were cleared out.

Quote:
What I meant by your exaggeration/choice of words is that you have made superlative statements like Bangalore has the worst traffic sense, Bangalore has the rudest and most selfish motorists etc. But again, that is your way of saying things. Different people have different ways of saying the same things. Some people say things in a polished manner, some put it bluntly.
The statements were not superlative, it is the fact. Unless WE don't accept the fact, nothing's gone to be good enough.

And have you ever seen cops flicking off DL and Emission test papers in other cities? Anyone seen, please post it in here. This is one of the examples why we call Bangalore cops are WORST.

Quote:
This localite-outsider issue will be there in almost any city. Its just that there are so many outsiders in Bangalore that we come to hear about these incidents very often.
I don't understand where does this 'local' and 'out-sider' thing is coming from. I stay in bangalore and I will never call myself an outsider.

What does an outsider mean BTW?

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 15th April 2010 at 19:49.
Old 15th April 2010, 19:44   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So the thread starter was pissed off because people behind him could get ahead of him.
You obviously didnt read this. I wouldnt blame you, it happens when you are in a hurry to prove someone else wrong on the internet.

Quote:
No not really. I felt like a dope standing there but was not frustrated. I leave quite early for office so if there are any issues I have a cushion of 15-20 mins even if I get stuck.
You also dont understand that such diversions are done during emergencies. The Carlton fire crossed my mind. So if asked to go the wrong way I could have obliged the traffic cop.

Quote:
It then led him to show all the other bad things that was happening around.
So i shouldnt have showed? Dug my head in a hole and let it be?

Quote:
What would this person do if he was actually behind and was one of the beneficiaries?
Well this person (whom you are unfairly assuming about and getting rather personal without any provocation, obviously forgeting the forum rules in your hurry to prove a point) could have started a thread with the same heading and written about it feeling bad that he had to break rules because of a cop who thought he was doing the right thing.

Simple isnt it, please dont assume. Thank you.

Quote:
After all he is not the smartest guy and might have done what he did.
Ah... thats exactly what I am saying.

Quote:
I travel on old airport road everyday, This is one of the roads where the cops do maintain the traffic well and even if the traffic is slow sometimes, there are no major jams.
You seriously think so?

It takes 15-20 mins to cross 1.5-2 kms during peak time. Thats not very good traffic management.

And have you noticed cops allowing the vehicles to totally block the Wind Tunnel Road. Also are you aware that not many days back there was a big accident there because the cops allowed people to break the red signal because they could not switch it to green manually?

No I didnt write about that here.

Quote:
I think we should stop this local and outside business.
You came in a bit late, thats been dusted off.
Old 15th April 2010, 19:46   #90
BHPian

Quote:
? Where is the question of denying it, but why make it specific to Bangalore?
The reason because it IS specific to bangalore! This is nothing about language or outsider vs insider. We're just saying that THERE IS A serious problem with Bangalore and we're discussing it.

Why don't we see similar threads about such things ? Well simple reason - things are not as bad as they are in Bangalore (and I'm saying this after having lived/driven in some of the major cities in India)

On another note, I came accross this interview with a Top Cop of Bangalore, interesting read

Transcript of chat with Shankar Bidari, Jamaluru Chat - Bangalore Mirror,Bangalore Mirror

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks