Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 20:17   #91
BHPian

I fully agree with Spitfire & technologist. These traffic cops lack basic sense. Some simple problems are all slow moving vehicles every where moving in the right lane & stilll some others in left lane.Also vehicles going right blocking the left lane when the left turn signal is green & cops least bothered about it. I still remember my boss was fined in 1992 in Mumbai on W.E. Highway when his car entered the wrong lane. If this could be enforced in Mumbai almost two decades back what stops these corrupt traffic guys from implementing basic rules which are displayed all over.
Old 15th April 2010, 23:17   #92
Senior - BHPian

Spitfire, sorry to say this, but the title of the thread has gone horribly wrong. If you ask people 'What's Wrong?', it will end up with pages of rant. Very few constructive opinions. No one is getting to the root cause of problems.

Most problems discussed are about enforcement. What about traffic engineering? Road designs? Co-ordination? Creating awareness? Use of technology?

Many members are working in companies that run cabs. How many can influence/ensure that their company cabs are not driven rashly? Is that something big to ask?

Some members have protested on why single out Bangalore. I feel it is due to their love/pride for the city that they start defending the city. Idea should be to bring every one together to solve the issues, instead of isolating and antagonizing. Negativism and hate are not going to help.

And, please don't call this city a 'loo'. That, probably, is the worst. You give respect, take respect.
Old 15th April 2010, 23:44   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Most problems discussed are about enforcement. What about traffic engineering? Road designs? Co-ordination? Creating awareness? Use of technology?
In India everything boils down to one thing - enforcement - How many bikers/drivers in India would wear helmets/seat-belts if it was not enforced ?

Suppose if lane discipline, stopping before the "line" at signals, giving right of way etc. is enforced then, do you DISAGREE that Bangalore will be a more better place to live in?

IF the auto drivers and other scum on the road were scared of the cops, do you DISAGREE that they would think twice before trying their tricks? (I agree some people will still break the rules, but that number would be fairly low and not much noticeable - at best they would be rare annoyances)

Is there anyone on the forum who can ask someone higher up in the traffic police organization (someone who doesn't get scared of auto drivers, cabbies and private bus operators) to come over and look at team-bhp and the traffic issues related threads?

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 15th April 2010 at 23:45.
Old 16th April 2010, 00:00   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
In India everything boils down to one thing - enforcement - How many bikers/drivers in India would wear helmets/seat-belts if it was not enforced ?

Suppose if lane discipline, stopping before the "line" at signals, giving right of way etc. is enforced then, do you DISAGREE that Bangalore will be a more better place to live in?

IF the auto drivers and other scum on the road were scared of the cops, do you DISAGREE that they would think twice before trying their tricks? (I agree some people will still break the rules, but that number would be fairly low and not much noticeable - at best they would be rare annoyances)
techn0l0gist, I agree. But it is immaterial whether I agree or disagree. That is the point that I am making.

Whatever we are saying in TBHP is one side of the story. I read in the link shared earlier things like 4 million vehicles are controlled by 2000 traffic police men etc. Until the 'other' side of the story is known, how do we reach to solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
Is there anyone on the forum who can ask someone higher up in the traffic police organization (someone who doesn't get scared of auto drivers, cabbies and private bus operators) to come over and look at team-bhp and the traffic issues related threads?
+1 to that. Great to hear positive ideas. Is there any such person in a position of influence?
Old 16th April 2010, 05:15   #95
BANNED

Bangalore traffic police is not bad guys, see how well they handle it.

For people who don't know. This is MG road which was called "No Tolerance" zone some time back. Tolerate it now

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 16th April 2010 at 05:20.
Old 16th April 2010, 10:16   #96
Senior - BHPian

Dear all,
Bendakaluru/Bangalore and now Bengaluru has its influx of outsiders to due to the concentration of IT powerhouses and support houses in a short span. Short enough not to wake up the administration to act timely, forget proactively.

This is the first step towards a disaster.

The residents of Bengaluru were used to their style driving/riding since there was not much traffic and almost everyone got away with 'U' turns, quick starts, sudden stops, lane cutting etc all w/o signalling. Now with the traffic population on the road exceeding limits and no change in driving/ riding styles, there is going to be questions/eyebrows raised from people not used to this style.

But no one can blame residents only. There have been instances discussed on this forum where laptop/bagpack carrying IT proffesionals on 2 wheels have shown little concern to follow rules regulations and care for other road users.

Traffic police in Bengaluru and everywhere are pretty much the same. Like I said elsewhere, when I was new to this city, I was stopped by an old-ish traffic cop who jumped on to the road with arms extended and did not fine me. He infact educated me that this is a no entry and which road I should take. I had MH plates then. So we cannot generalise. We must remember that it is not only examination results and physical fitness that makes a traffic cop pass onto our roads. There is a stiff competition there as well and they are hell bent to recover that investment first, then give a rats *** about traffic woes. It is everywhere mind you.

In my home town, when I was in college I was whistled by a traffic cop for getting into a no entry when I was barely on the no entry zone. I had just entered it and realised soon after and stopped. Got down off the bike and manually reversed the bike as a correction. The cops at the junction saw this and started in Hindi. They thought I was from outside. I did not know the 'importance' of the local language and they kept on 'flirting' with me thinking of me as an outsider. They would not collect a fine nor let me go. I started thinking it would have been better if I had broken a rule instead of being subjected to such torture. There were no mobile phones then.
Suddenly a laid back pot bellied cop comes in to join the fun and asks the other 2 ragging cops what was the party about, in Marathi. Aaaaah! I was enlightened and I spoke in the most fluent Marathi ever. Ever. The cops immediately asked me to leave w/o any more hassels. So it is the same everywhere.
Underpaid ??? There is a reason for you being underpaid sir. Everyone knows what is your real income and what is spare change. Exceptions excused.

Every metro, city has a history and related culture and subsequent upbringing of the sons of the soil. I personally feel and sorry for not scratching everyone's back, some uneducated folks are a rough. There might be some exceptions. Some daily wage workers from outskirts who have come to work in the capital city but from KA along with the locals of Bangalore are a deadly combination. As it is a win win for both to earn money from people who are not aquainted with the language. Lets take an example of Rishie on some other thread.

Forget him, my wife hit a guy in her zen who was on the green TVS moped on the wrong side of the road to avoid a 5 minute drive to the nearest space in the divider for a 'U' turn. The number plate and the bumper cracked and the right side headlight went in a few mm. The guy was on the road but not bleeding. He accepted it was his fault and called his 'friend' to help him clear the clutter on the road due to his fall. His friend came to the spot and started yelling on top of his voice in front of a lady. My wife called me up and all thanks to the Almighty I had just finished my prayers at 'Ala and was chatting with some of my friends. When we came to know about this incident near 'safal fresh' store, we rushed to the spot and the man changed his tone and possibly his gender after finding so much support for my wife.

So most have come to earn and earn they will by hook or crook. Paisa aye, jaise bhi aye.

I find it hard to negotiate and communicate with some vendors and people of daily interest when they do not understand, English, Hindi or Marathi. (BTW our domestic help understands Marathi and I am thankful to the Almightly for the same )
So I find it necessary to learn a little bit of Kannada to solve this problem of mine.
Yesterday itself I conversed in Kannada with a soft coconut vendor with
Eshtu (how much), Erdu Yellir kud bidi(give me 2 coconuts ), ithpad mooru (INR 23) and thats it, done. I was happy with the yellir and went away in peace.

So whats the big deal in learning the local language if it helps you. I hope to get more conversant as time progresses enough to make the cops realise that I am indeed the son of the soil.

I meet many Kannadigas who have lived in amchi Mumbai and earned and come back to KA. They too speak to me in broken Marathi for fun and the tickle of it.

Coming back to the topic of cops, they are the same breed everywhere. They are a lot of duties and politics they have to deal besides on the road activities. I see some performing their duties well, and the others not so well.

I have seen as bad traffic and management in Kolkatta, Mumbai, Delhi and now, Pune. If it is in Bangalore, so what ? I make it a point to educate individuals who I think might pay heed and thats it. I do my bit of some gyan and rules following.

So it is upto everyone who feels for his country and fellow citizens to act responsibily and try to educate whenever possible. There have been mistakes from me and possibly they will. Who hasn't ?

The attitude of 'not my city', 'why bother' is not going to help anyone.

Since most of the car owners are from educated backgrounds, IT, Law, Business, it would be good for companies to educate about traffic sense and not just build expressways for thier convenience only.

Lastly, if someone says that traffic and its management is bad and the richshaw drivers are xyz in Pune, I will not feel bad because I know and I can accept. If some one tells me that people are bad, then I know it is not true and just because of some bad example one cannot generalise.

Thank you.
Old 16th April 2010, 10:37   #97
Senior - BHPian

That is one long post, Pervez.
Only thing that i strongly disagree upon with you is where you say that the traffic police in Bangalore and everywhere else is same. Just yesterday, on the ORR between KR Puram and Marthahalli, there was a traffic interceptor with 4 or 5 cops around it. I was doing 60. Two cabs overtook me who must have been doing 80 when they crossed the interceptor. The cops tried to stop them but to no avail. I found those two cabs entering the intel office later on.
On the other hand, in Delhi, i was in a cab. The cabbie stopped at an isolated red light in a residential area. A santro full of yuppies pulled up next to us and egged the driver on to break the light. He refused, saying "aage kahin chhup ke baithe honge" (translation: they might be hiding somewhere up ahead)
Once, near the airport, an auto driver was fined because he did not have the proper uniform on.

The only similarity between Bangalore cops and other cops is the corruption. When it comes to effectiveness, they are not even on the radar. Its just that they are able to fill their quotas from out of state vehicles, that the autos and cabs manage to get away. And yet, that makes a huge difference.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:44   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
That is one long post, Pervez.
Only thing that i strongly disagree upon with you is where you say that the traffic police in Bangalore and everywhere else is same. Just yesterday, on the ORR between KR Puram and Marthahalli, there was a traffic interceptor with 4 or 5 cops around it. I was doing 60. Two cabs overtook me who must have been doing 80 when they crossed the interceptor. The cops tried to stop them but to no avail. I found those two cabs entering the intel office later on.

On the other hand, in Delhi, i was in a cab. The cabbie stopped at an isolated red light in a residential area. A santro full of yuppies pulled up next to us and egged the driver on to break the light. He refused, saying "aage kahin chhup ke baithe honge" (translation: they might be hiding somewhere up ahead)

Once, near the airport, an auto driver was fined because he did not have the proper uniform on.
Very true !

Bangalore traffic police has a soft corner for cabbies, autos and transport vehicles. Cabbies, autos, transport vehicles and even buses are never stopped or fined for traffic violations even though they are the worst offenders.

Bangalore traffic police prefer to hide somewhere after the signals and stop only private vehicles, preferably out of state vehicles, which are soft targets for them.

The Delhi vs Bangalore cabbie comparison is also absolutely true. Our company has offices in Delhi and Bangalore. Hence I have traveled in our office cabs in both cities. There is a remarkable difference in the way cabbies drive in Delhi and Bangalore. The cabbies in Delhi are terrified of the traffic police and would never dare to overspeed, drive zig-zag or break a signal. In Bangalore, its the other way round - traffic police are bullied by the cabbies of influential travel operators.

Rohan
Old 16th April 2010, 12:46   #99
BHPian

I took a U turn near raheja arcade, didnt have insurance copy with me, he demanded 600/- , got away paying 200/- no receipt.

Contributing to his house or site or car....
Old 16th April 2010, 13:04   #100
Senior - BHPian

Not having an insurance copy does not mean that your car isn't insured. I got to know recently that the cops are supposed to give you some one week notice, to show up at their station with the requested document. I am not sure if this is true.

I was wondering, how about refusing to pay the fine right there, and asking for a court notice so that you can pay the fine in the court? What can the cops do if you refuse to pay fine? I am sure they can't arrest you because not having a document ready is by no means a crime.

Most of the times we pay up only to get out of there. But once I managed to argue with a cop and succeeded in escaping without having to pay anything. It was the day when the service road in front of our office was made one-way. A friend of mine and I took the road, and didn't notice the newly erected sign. It was hidden by a big truck, and the truck was pulled over by the cops for some routine check.

When the constable called us aside, my friend showed a presence of mind and took out the bike key before the constable could reach it. Once they get the key, you are at their mercy. They will not return the key until you pay.

As I was riding pillion, so I had nothing to lose. I gave some advices to the inspector that they should stand at the other end of the road and guide the traffic not to take one-way, especially because it was the first day and people won't be aware of the rule and all. I also told him that it was his fault to let the truck be parked there, hiding the one-way sign. And finally I told him that no matter what he did, we weren't going to pay any money.

My poor friend was so worried all this while that he might have to pay a hefty fine. Poor guy didn't utter a single word all the while :-D.

Finally the inspector got frustrated, returned my friend's license and told us to go and not come back on that road.
Old 16th April 2010, 13:12   #101
Senior - BHPian

Forget the cabbies, auto drivers. I have seen normal people also not stopping when asked to stop.
They are soft (like everyone in this state). Also, they don't hurl expletives and slap like they do in Delhi either.
Old 16th April 2010, 13:15   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
I took a U turn near raheja arcade, didnt have insurance copy with me, he demanded 600/- , got away paying 200/- no receipt.

Contributing to his house or site or car....
Keep up the good work mate ,
Old 16th April 2010, 13:17   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
They are soft (like everyone in this state). Also, they don't hurl expletives and slap like they do in Delhi either.
FYI...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...e-highway.html
Old 16th April 2010, 13:34   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Forget the cabbies, auto drivers. I have seen normal people also not stopping when asked to stop.
Based on personal experiences, i do not agree to this statement. They havent slapped me, but they hurl expletives for sure, even if you are in need of support from them. In most probability, you havent gone through this thread of mine -> My_experience
Check out the role of the helpful and soft cop in the picture.

And yeah, contest them against why you are tergetted, while an auto is let free, and you earn their wrath again. Experience mentioned by me earlier in this thread.

Srishiva, there is no need to take the accusations against cops as a remark against Kannadigas in general. There are a lot of wonderful people from this city, however the cops and their attitude go against the general opinion.
Old 16th April 2010, 13:35   #105
Senior - BHPian

Well I agree with everyone that the traffic cops need to learn the basic rules of traffic management. I also think this is not just the traffic cops but the complete lack of ownership of the state govts which did not believe in training these guys as well as they should have, considering the influx of people coming into Bangalore.

Let me relate an incident here, I had come here in 1997 for a few days and was trying to cross the road near MG road but there was a lot of traffic . There was a Police Patrol Jeep about 50 feet from where I was, which I didnt really notice. there was a voice from the microphone saying," please be careful while crossing the street there is a lot of traffic". I was shocked, never in INdia had i heard a cop asking me to be careful and that too in english. After that I kept trying to cross (being extra careful ) but couldnt for almost 2 minutes, then one of the cops switched on the siren drove towards me and stopped the Jeep. One policeman gets down and stops the traffic escorting me across the road.

Ever since that day I dreamt of living in this city only. Even now I keep having some good experiences with these guys but over all I completely attribute it to the lack of training and support by the govt. which leads to their effectiveness.Over the years corruption has spoiled it all :(

Why do you think the cops are not able to stop the cabbies or the auto wallas, because the local politicians are behind their unions and the cops have no say in front of them.
I guess they need some lessons in empathy as well, like most other policemen.
I do blame the cops too for an extent but I also realise that its a bigger issue behind this.
I guess we all can start by following the traffic rules and giving some words of encouragement to the traffic guys whenever we see them do a good job. Appreciation is something that I dont think they have really seen or felt.
Lets discuss what we can do to make things better guys, I know you all care.

Last edited by sammyboy : 16th April 2010 at 13:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks