Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2016, 15:08   #151
BHPian

Re: A strange local traffic signal...(indicator for overtaking)

The Bombay autowallahs have some funny signals. The weirdest one being a strained nodding of head, which essentially means 'me first'. Mostly used to work your way out of traffic jams.
Old 13th June 2016, 11:38   #152
BHPian

Indicators and CONFUSION!!!!

Note: Dears mods, I couldn't find a thread that could clear my query and hence I created the following thread. Also I couldn't find an appropriate category. SORRY. Cheers!!!

Hello fellow petrol heads,

I know that this is a pretty STUPID question for me to ask but keep in mind that I am a newbie driver and though I live in Uttar Pradesh (where many people don't even have a licence let alone the knowledge of a few basic traffic rules and regulations) I still prefer to drive safely (Bhaiya hamme to safely chalaney hai apni gadi i.e. I have to drive my car safely man!!)

Anyways, sparing you guys from more babble, let me cut to the chase (or you may also cut the cheese, whatever you prefer first ) I am really confused about when should I use my indicators. How do I signal that I am moving into the Right Lane for an overtake and not that I am allowing the car traveling behind me to overtake me??

This question sparked in my mind recently when I was driving on a 4 Lane (i.e. 2 lanes on each side. SIGH )
And in an attempt to overtake a Three wheeler I signaled with my indicator to move into the Right Lane when an Ecosport ( Which until that moment was right behind me moving at a constant speed ) started overtaking me. I was between the two lanes when he suddenly honked and I, realising what he was doing, moved back into the left lane.

Your help would be very helpful (I guess that is what help is for the most part of it. Though there is also a part of a "help" which is sometimes not so helpful. But we may discuss this philosophy about help on another day and on another thread)

Thank You.
Old 13th June 2016, 13:10   #153
BHPian

Re: Indicators and CONFUSION!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfastdude19 View Post
I am really confused about when should I use my indicators. How do I signal that I am moving into the Right Lane for an overtake and not that I am allowing the car traveling behind me to overtake me??
The very purpose of indicators is to convey your intention of 'plan to change direction of your vehicle' to fellow drivers on road. On a single lane road, my suggestion is, never use the indicators for any purpose other than taking a right/left turn to depart the road you are on. You don't have to use your indicators during an overtaking maneuver either. It's a bad practice in my opinion and leads to confusion. On a multi lane road, you can use your indicators to convey the plan to change the lane.

From now on, before you start an overtaking maneuver first make sure that there is no other vehicle on your tail trying to overtake you, then go ahead with the overtake and if some schumacher comes from nowhere and starts honking at your back, just do not mind him and go ahead in your direction.
vpillai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 14:06   #154
Senior - BHPian

A strange local traffic signal...(indicator for overtaking)

Three blinks of indicator are used as lane change indicator and this feature is inbuilt in Ford which can be activated by slight tapping the indicator stalk is what I have gathered from the reviews. This can also be used to indicate the other car to overtake you.
For regular turn use indicator for long time as well as give hand signal but still it it risky and not fool proof.
Old 13th June 2016, 14:22   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
This can also be used to indicate the other car to overtake you.
Hi carwatcher,

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here.
Indicators can/should never be used to allow (give permission to) vehicle behind you to overtake you. If that is the case, how a vehicle behind you is supposed to identify the 3 blinks you give is for your lane change or it is a cue for him to overtake you?

Last edited by vpillai : 13th June 2016 at 14:23. Reason: .
vpillai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 15:18   #156
BHPian

Re: Indicators and CONFUSION!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfastdude19 View Post
And in an attempt to overtake a Three wheeler I signaled with my indicator to move into the Right Lane when an Ecosport ( Which until that moment was right behind me moving at a constant speed ) started overtaking me. I was between the two lanes when he suddenly honked and I, realising what he was doing, moved back into the left lane.
If you are overtaking someone - look in your IRVM & both ORVMs how far is the car in the nearby lane & the car behind you, before you decide to move in to the next lane.
Once you mentally make a decision, put your indicators and make the lane change.
After you move to the nearby lane, honk a little and zoom ahead, if there is no audible/visible indications from the vehicle you are trying to overtake.

Our country is one where nobody wants to slow down for any reason - they consider it an ego issue and slowing down as something equal to losing their wallet - It is painful for them. So, when they have planned to overtake you, even if you are already overtaking someone, they will go the extra mile and somehow overtake you, instead of just slowing down and letting you go.
So, you don't want to get involved in the mad rush as a good driver following rules. If you are road, and trying to overtake, watch out for someone, who is more willing to overtake you, and let him go first.
Old 13th June 2016, 16:24   #157
BANNED

@vpillai; (Poat #153) It is standard practice in the west to indicate that you wish to overtake and also to indicate that I am winning to be overtaken. In the UK the former is a rh indicator and the latter a lh indicator. We seem to be doing the reverse for both. On the continent since they drive of the right the convention is reversed.
Old 13th June 2016, 16:41   #158
Senior - BHPian

If we start finding logic in the skills displayed on our roads and highways, we will end up pulling all of our hairs.
At the same time we have luxury buses with sticker displaying AC No Hand Signal.
So they manage everything by use of indicators.
If you read our MV Act its actually illegal to use indicators during day time and hand signals to be used and indicators are meant for night driving.
We have an example of using hazard signals inside tunnels which lacks any logic but is used extensively by drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
Hi carwatcher,
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here.
Old 13th June 2016, 17:54   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It is standard practice in the west to indicate that you wish to overtake and also to indicate that I am winning to be overtaken.
This is news for me. Okay, so using indicators while overtaking is some what understandable (still it will make confusion in our single lane roads), but using indicators to let the vehicle behind you know that you are willing to be overtaken!! That is ridiculous. It will lead to a hell lot of confusions and may even cause accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
If you read our MV Act its actually illegal to use indicators during day time and hand signals to be used and indicators are meant for night driving.
If this is still the case it's high time they have to update their MV Act because now more than 50% of the vehicles on our roads are air conditioned and have their windows rolled up. And regarding the hazard light, yes it is wrong to use inside tunnels. People also use it where two roads are crossing ('+') which is also wrong. They should just not use any indicator if they want to go straight. Also it is used during heavy rain which is again wrong. You should have proper fog lamps instead. But I doubt how many of our indian cars have rear fog lamps!! I think the Punto has. All these stupidity has to stop somewhere. Some moron started doing something and rest of the folks followed it to make it a trend.
Old 17th October 2016, 17:59   #160
BHPian

The thread was started in 2005 and all the things said still holds true even today! That tells you how much effort our RTO's are taking to educate the public and test them before handing over the driving license.

I have observed this strange tradition of flashing right indicator on Mumbai-Pune Expressways. The main culprits are slow moving cars who hog the right lane. Now it's not possible to turn right on an expressway so in a way they are saying I am going to keep my lane no matter what, you decide what you gonna do, I don't care!

This right lane hogging public is an absolute irritant on E-Way since they force you to overtake from middle lane or extreme right end. A simple overtaking manoeuvre turns out into a big exercise due to these I-am-going-to-keep-my-lane guys.
Old 17th October 2016, 18:12   #161
Senior - BHPian

In Middle east, there is similar practice, but with different understanding.
On freeways, if I am on the fast lane and a fast car approaches from behind, flashing to me and I have no space to move to the next lane, I press left indicator until I get space and as soon as I get space, toggle to right indicator and move to give him way (LHD). This is understood by all drivers irrespective of the vehicle type or nationality.
But here it means different in different places and I just use indicator if I could move, until then he can keep flashing and honking.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 17th October 2016 at 18:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks