Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2005, 18:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Just a small addition to VIVAID

While in the process of overtaking, the lights of the overtaking vehicle needs to be shifted from DIP to DIM and vice versa. This enables the driver of the vehicle coming in the opposite direction (WHY DO YOU OVERTAKE WHEN A VEHICLE COMES AT THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION) to judge the distance between the vehicles and decide whether to slow down the vehicle or continue the existing acceleration
Old 9th May 2005, 23:53   #17
BHPian

Seriously , it is too weird but thats the way it goes , though i really would love to know the history behind this , lets hope GTO someone at team bhp might come up with a genuine reason behind this(though i suspect) ....

Last edited by Beemer : 10th May 2005 at 00:03.
Old 10th May 2005, 00:01   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a post in this thread with the History.
Go read it.
Old 10th May 2005, 00:23   #19
BHPian

Thanx lambo , but a person driving on a highway for the first time(until he is taught) would find it bit weird as i heaven't heard this happening in any other country(i may be wrong) !
Old 10th May 2005, 01:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

also ,when driving in fog,rain or when blinded by the oncoming traffic at night it helps to turn on your RHS indicators so that others know of ur vehicle size.
Old 10th May 2005, 12:13   #21
BHPian

Guys, this is a country where the side indicators are not normally used to indicate an intention of turning.. If you drive on the highways long enough (and survive) you develop the instinct of judging what the right indicator on a vehicle ahead of you would mean.. Most of the time it means - he Bhagwan, rakshaa karnaa, overtake kar rahaa hoon..
Jokes apart, this is a very illogical system followed on our highways.. I have had close calls with trucks intending to turn right into dhabas/fuel stations.. only way to make sure is to watch and overtake when there is no opportunity for the fellow to turn right.. once committed to overtaking, honk and trust in your family deity :-)
Old 10th May 2005, 12:50   #22
BHPian

Guys , here is another one, one of my collegues (an american), talks of a different problem. It seems in the US and elsewhere, you flash your headlights as a yield signal.
Here in india, as we all know, it indicates "you wait there you piece of @#$% , i'm coming through"

Imagine the americans plight when he sees someone flashing his headlight and happyly drives on thinking it's a yield signal.

Till i got this piece of info, i always wondered why those yellow buttons on the fiero said pass . when they actually meant the opposite :-D
Old 10th May 2005, 14:34   #23
BHPian

as far as i know, it is the international signal asking the other chap to yield-
Used it in spain too, and no problems there
Old 10th May 2005, 16:35   #24
BHPian

Some person in one of the auto magazines had proposed a "pass" light for the trucks, cars et al. So when this light is on, it would mean clearance to overtake. It could also be of a unique colour so there is no mistaking it for any other indication. "Blue" could be a good colour.

I think that should do the trick.

And all americans wanting to drive should be made aware of this "pass" signal of ours, which actually means "fail"!!
Old 19th June 2006, 15:38   #25

Right signal means overtake !

I am sure this has been discussed before in this forum. It is exasperating to follow some Indian drivers ( mostly truck drivers on the highway) who indicate a right signal when you honk and want to pass them . By this, these over-smart morons are actually signaling to you to overtake... Some trucks have their right indicators turned for keeps till they reach the destinations. Maybe the unfortunate motorist behind the said truck never lived to tell the tale, but do those truck drivers have any idea how misleading this can be to the motorist sharing the road behind ? Is there any way these people can be educated?.
Old 19th June 2006, 15:45   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Sumirish, would say no matter what the guy in front of you signals, pls use your judgement before you overtake

Also, at night, trucks & buses use the right indicator when they are being overtaken, till you complete the move and you are ahead of them. This is to give you an idea of their position while you are passing them.

From what I have heard from professional drivers, truck drivers from TN are supposed to observe lane discipline very well when on the highways, and have pretty good highway manners. [I notice you are in Chennai].
Old 19th June 2006, 15:50   #27

This 'right indicator to overtake' is pretty much part of the local culture as well. Wonder from where and whom the wisdom originated....
Old 19th June 2006, 15:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

In North India that's the most widely used method by drivers of heavy vehicles to let you know it's safe to overtake. I don't think it is a surprise to anyone travelling regularly on highways. And yes it also indicates their position in the dark as condor managed.
Old 19th June 2006, 15:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Its very misleading. Used to confuse me at first why people want to turn right just at the moment I want to overtake, till I figured out the logic. I'm still wary, though - what if the chap REALLY wants to turn right?

An elderly gentleman ran his scooter into my car because I wanted to turn right and he thought it was a signal to overtake - the Kinetic that was behind me to the left suddenly moved to the right just as I was making a right turn!

I'd much prefer it if people turned on the LEFT indicator, if they HAD to use the indicator to give permission to overtake. That is much more natural because if you were turning to the left and I were going straight ahead I'd move a bit more to the right behind you. At least I wont crash into you if you really wanted to turn.
Old 19th June 2006, 16:03   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Steeroid, I wouldnt use the same logic for highways and city driving. In-city, it's chaos, esp with the two-wheelers. They often leave their indicators on, under-estimate the space they are taking, under-estimate the space a 4-wheeler needs .. the works ...

I have observed the professional drivers on highways, and dont remember seeing anyone [read -trucks / ST buses] using other ways of indicating their positions. Using the left indicatior will mean the indicators in use by the guy who is being overtaken, are on the far/hidden side and cannot most times be seen by the guy who is overtaking.

Using the right indicator by the guy who is being overtaken seems to be the language of HCV drivers on the highways.

Last edited by condor : 19th June 2006 at 16:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks