Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 15:55   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: A strange local traffic signal...(indicator for overtaking)

Though I agree there's no uniformity nationwide, the signals themselves aren't confusing either. The guy behind honks and flashes a couple of times, and the guy ahead starts his indicator and moves to the opposite lane (left lane if giving space on the right on an undivided road, and right lane if on a divided 2 lanes/side road).

And these signals are almost always accompanied by hand signals (even at night). And if you're so close to the vehicle that you can't see the trucker's hand at night on flashing high beam, you're too close for comfort anyway and should back off a bit.
Old 6th February 2012, 18:22   #122
BHPian

There are many signals that are followed by drivers of all denominations across the length and breadth of India and I personally feel that it would not be prudent to assume that one set of signal would be correctly understood by all drivers of vehicles. Conflicting signals lead to confusion, and surely we can't allow that probability of any misunderstanding at highway speeds.
My formula is to keep things simple on the road. Right blinker for before a right turn, left blinker before a left turn, flashers to vehicle ahead to give way, Own assessment of the traffic ahead before the overtaking maneuver no matter what the truck ahead blinks! Trust your own eyes and use your own assessments. AND, most important, do not try to translate the signal the driver ahead gives, so that a right blinker would only convey the intention of driver ahead to turn left and similarly for a right indicator blinker, and similarly for a hand out of window signal.
It may take a bit of time to wait and watch other drivers intention for a correct interpretation which is always backed up with the direction his vehicle moves, or the body movement of the vehicle, but in the end it's always well worth it !
Old 13th February 2012, 02:32   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Kotwal View Post

There are many signals that are followed by drivers of all denominations across the length and breadth of India and I personally feel that it would not be prudent to assume that one set of signal would be correctly understood by all drivers of vehicles. Conflicting signals lead to confusion, and surely we can't allow that probability of any misunderstanding at highway speeds.

My formula is to keep things simple on the road. Right blinker for before a right turn, left blinker before a left turn, flashers to vehicle ahead to give way, Own assessment of the traffic ahead before the overtaking maneuver no matter what the truck ahead blinks! Trust your own eyes and use your own assessments.

AND, most important, do not try to translate the signal the driver ahead gives, so that a left blinker would only convey the intention of driver ahead to turn left and similarly for a right indicator blinker, and similarly for a hand out of window signal.

It may take a bit of time to wait and watch other drivers intention for a correct interpretation which is always backed up with the direction his vehicle moves, or the body movement of the vehicle, but in the end it's always well worth it !
I so completely agree with each and every word that you have written in this post. I can really feel your years of driving experience coming through here.

Our life and car is in our own hands. No accidents. No excuses. Period.
Old 19th February 2012, 21:46   #124
Senior - BHPian

I want to point out one observation. Many people from plains come to hill. They hire car and bikes. Now the serious problem with drivers especially from Ahmedabad is that they tend to overtake from left. Its normal in say four lane highway, but in hills where there are single lane, or any single lane for that matter, its a serious issue.

Now this issue is serious even in place like delhi. Once i took a left U turn with a left indicator to go to a service lane. A bike zoomed passed me and nearly hit my left door. I stopped in time and even he was quick in making the right cut. We had a heated argument. It was night and i was perfectly right doing the right thing with left indicator.
We ended the argument finally me advising to do the same when a Big A** delhi local bus do a left turn in a left bend. He came to his senses and went away.
Old 19th February 2012, 22:48   #125
Team-BHP Support

Another strange traffic-indication I've noticed is the use of the Hazard Lights when driving in heavy rain/fog, or while reversing/parking. The Hazard Lights are there to warn other road users of a parked car or a car that has broken down and unable to move. Not while driving through rain/fog!
Old 19th February 2012, 22:55   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Another strange traffic-indication I've noticed is the use of the Hazard Lights when driving in heavy rain/fog, or while reversing/parking. The Hazard Lights are there to warn other road users of a parked car or a car that has broken down and unable to move. Not while driving through rain/fog!
This usage has just caught on and guys use the hazard for what ever reasons they feel. For going straight at an intersection idiots use hazards, even in automated signal controlled intersections. In fact for proceeding straight simply proceed with out resorting to own inventions.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 18:19   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This usage has just caught on and guys use the hazard for what ever reasons they feel. For going straight at an intersection idiots use hazards, even in automated signal controlled intersections. In fact for proceeding straight simply proceed with out resorting to own inventions.
I have noticed this on the Mumbai - Pune expressway. Cars entering a tunnel, switch on the hazards and switch it off when they are out.
Old 24th April 2012, 18:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

My wife always pushes me to put on the hazard lights when in tunner on Mumbai-Pune expressway! I usually put on the pilot lamps so that cars will be able to see me. It is very confusing to see the cars with hazards on changing lanes all of a sudden in the tunnel, with no way of knowing where it is headed!
Old 25th April 2012, 00:11   #129
BHPian

Quote:
The Hazard Lights are there to warn other road users of a parked car or a car that has broken down and unable to move. Not while driving through rain/fog!
Nope it's not just for that reason. Hazard lights are a means of warning other motorists that there is some situational problem and they have to be careful when passing you. The problem could be your car break-down, you driving at a very low speed on a highway, driving on the wrong side of the road due to traffic diversion or anything for that matter.

I guess people started using this in fog thinking that it is a potential hazardous situation where visibility is limited to few meters and having the blinkers on could make the other motorists spot the moving vehicle. There's nothing wrong in it IMHO.

But a general rule of discipline when you use hazard lights is that you are supposed to maintain road manners by staying in your lane and drive very slow and carefully. So using them in tunnels and changing lanes is definitely not a wise thing to do!

Last edited by luvurride : 25th April 2012 at 00:12.
Old 25th April 2012, 01:21   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Nope it's not just for that reason. Hazard lights are a means of warning other motorists that there is some situational problem and they have to be careful when passing you. The problem could be your car break-down, you driving at a very low speed on a highway, driving on the wrong side of the road due to traffic diversion or anything for that matter.

I guess people started using this in fog thinking that it is a potential hazardous situation where visibility is limited to few meters and having the blinkers on could make the other motorists spot the moving vehicle. There's nothing wrong in it IMHO.

But a general rule of discipline when you use hazard lights is that you are supposed to maintain road manners by staying in your lane and drive very slow and carefully. So using them in tunnels and changing lanes is definitely not a wise thing to do!
Ummm, okay? You've just supplemented my point.

And you're right. It's 'hazard' lights. It's meant to be switched on when you're in trouble on a busy road, so that you don't get hit or startle a fellow road-user.
Old 25th April 2012, 23:47   #131
BHPian

I think Bangalore cabbies should take the crown for the most weirdest signals.

Ever seen a cab take high speed all of a sudden when pedestrians are trying to cross the road ahead? Well - it is a signal to scare the hell out of that poor pedestrian and stop him from crossing.

Most of the times when I try to take U turn in a divided road, the cab traffic in opposite lane speeds and flashes continously on seeing my right indicator and intent to U turn. Apparently to signal me that he will not be able to stop in time if I go ahead with the turn and hence I shouldn't turn. What a weird signal? The weirdest thing happened one day when the cabbie on opposite lane took speed to stop my U turn even when there was a speed breaker ahead of him. I proceeded to turn with a smile and the cabbie breaked hard to pass over the speedbraker like a dumbass.

I saw a cabbie give a hand signal to turn right and then canceling(?!) that by a weird gesture with hand.. more amusing is how I understood his cancellation!

Sometimes there are 'load autos' - those pathetic looking 3 wheeler goods carriers that have their right indicator always on while the co-driver gives a left hand signal and vehicle turns left.

Ah, then comes these private town buses that have a cleaner guy hanging loose on the footstep of the left door apparently entrusted with the noble job of mindreading the driver and conveying the appropriate signal to others by voice, body or facial gestures. He will vigorously prevent any car at the back from overtaking the bus on left side. One will be pleased with his rule adherence till one sees that the same guy will happily signal the car to go ahead and overtake from left once he realises he can't stop it.

And the icing on the cake - auto drivers giving a leg signal! We can't blame them, for the speed at which they swerve to left or right, both hands have to be at the handles and what other body organ can they use to signal a turn other than a solitary leg protruding out!
Old 26th April 2012, 00:25   #132
BHPian

I use a more conventional signalling while on the highway - to indicate that a vehicle should overtake from my right, I use my left indicator. If the vehicle still honks and doesn't pass, I flash the right indicate and then use my left indicator. If there's still honking, I flash my hazard lights. If the honking persists, I assume the driver is trying to tell me something.
Old 26th April 2012, 04:22   #133
BHPian

Re: Use of Indicators for Overtaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnn View Post
Hi Team BHP,

In India, there are some confusion about the use of Indicators, especially for overtaking.

My understanding is
1) If a vehicle has its one side indicator ON, other should not overtake through the same side. ( E.g. if the Right indicator in ON, that means he is going to turn/move to right and others should not try to pass him through the right side. )
2) If you want to allow the vehicle behind you to overtake, switch ON the LEFT indicator to show that you are moving to left so that he can overtake
I totally Agree with Arun here, this is what we're supposed to do and by doing so not confuse the driver behind that we may turn right and the other cars that we need space and will move to the left.

Sadly in India dirving rules don't make any difference, i've had so many such instances where i had to use emergency brakes at high speeds as the fool in front and around (Primarily Bikers, Auto's / Cabs and Trucks) who think no end of themselves. The former think they can squeeze out of any space available and the latter think the road belongs to them and it doesn't matter who exists after their journey ends
Old 21st March 2013, 20:03   #134
BANNED

Overtaking Code On Indian Highways

Hello everyone
Would like to discuss about this unwritten code of Indian highways that if a vehicle wants to give way for others to overtake, the right side indicator is switched “ON”.
In other countries I have seen e.g Singapore the vehicle giving way always flashes the left side incicator light (for countries using right hand drive like ours), in other words indicating his/her intension to be going in direction opposite to the lane through which you would be overtaking that vehicle.
This practice is confusing at times and I personally had one near miss.
How did this code start???
Can we do something, like e.g fit another light say green in colour on the back, left and right to indicating the lane through which you would want the car behind you to overtake or atleast use the indicator on the opposite side indicating , hey I am not going to come in this lane so go ahead and overtake…
Old 21st March 2013, 22:04   #135
BHPian

Re: Overtaking Code On Indian Highways

You can't fix stupidity with more gadgetry. What do you call those who put their emergency lights to indicate going straight? Ideally, everybody would be driving in the left lane and leave the passing lane for other vehicles and in case of a single-lane highway they'd see you're trying to overtake them, slow down just a bit to help you finish the manoeuvre and go back up to speed. However, we all know which country we live in, here everyone is always in overtaking mode, so this discussion is pointless. Sorry to be a pessimist.

Last edited by hellmet : 21st March 2013 at 22:06.
hellmet is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks