Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 20:02   #46
BHPian

Re: Bad Experience with an IBM India cab

Hey Tharian,

i dont agree the way you have got into arguing with a cab driver whatsoever, let anybody call it an unfortunate incident. Such incidents and arguments on the street happen only when we also get irritated and contribute to the whole incident.

I suggest you would have done much better by just avoiding these cab drivers and expecially the auto drivers here in Bangalore. I mean there is always a certain element of risk everybody has when we get on to the road. This risk element can be nullified by behaving more smartly instead of responding to the other problem maker on the street.

By handling the situation well, you only get out of the added trouble. what have you achieved by getting into an argument with a uneducated cab driver at all ? think for a while ? spoilt your day and mood? Add unnecesary stress on your self. all these could have been avoided if only you had stopped for couple of minutes or rather avoided this cab driver.

Are you aware of A lady's fate when she was picked from her place by a cab driver to be dropped at her workplace ? i dont want to take this reputed company's name here. when these kind of incidents happen, we could do well by not get into any arguments on the streets with these morons.

Think about the damage you would have caused your family if only you had got hurt in the process.

Dont react at all , especially when on a two wheeler.

Safe riding !!!

Last edited by nandans2005 : 24th April 2012 at 20:03.
nandans2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 20:15   #47
BHPian

I have no experience with IBM cab, but a week back, one Sumo cab really cut across my ride and and forced the vehicle to a stop, just before falling into the drainage on the ORR at Marthahalli. I was in a traveling in a BMTC Volvo The guy just stood there for a cool 5 mins. The Volvo driver did not utter a word, nor did the conductor. So the 'mighty' volvo driver got bullied down royally. I wasn't surprised either, as our man was doing all sorts of bullying on the roads just before the showdown.

My point is, why to get in to an altercation with these guys? Leave them alone and they will vanish if you don't bother.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:31   #48
BHPian

Sympathise with you on the boorish behaviour of IBM cabs, they dont have any mercy for IBM employees itself. Try crossing the road by foot in front of one, at any of the Tech parks, they will most probably run you over. There should be a root cause for such frustration.

Add to it, i doubt there is training, monitoring & education given to them, with no proper facilities. Adds to their frustration i guess, since they are also human beings prone to stress. (ruling out the black sheep)

I however see that Fidelity cab drivers are much more decent, cabs are maintained well and i see their drivers wearing seat belts religiously. I once saw a training being conducted for them in EGL. Guess they are doing something that IBM is not doing right.

The buses attached to Toyota factory in Bidadi is another good example to how their drivers are given basic facilities, refresher training and awareness. They even have an award system for the best accident free drivers i think.

Taking a balanced view, I feel corporates also need to take a view to inculcate awareness among their cab drivers. How much would it cost ? Giving them the stick most probably would result in them becoming more frustrated out on the road.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:42   #49
BHPian

I dont travel by my company bus, but I know of many instances when drivers and the travel operators have been warned of misconduct or rash driving. Repeat offenders have been removed. Its upto the companies who hire them to create awareness and also chalk out routes and timings appropriately thus creating minimum stress on these drivers.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:48   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me add my 2 cents here. I used to be the SPOC for the cabs and the daily shuttles in my previous organization. We had 8 Tempo Travellers and 4 Qualis/Sumos. I used to have a weekly meeting with the Vendor to ensure any issues persisting are resolved. In this case, it was Sathya Sai Travels. Good drivers were appointed at the beginning of the contract period. Slowly the service deteriorated over a period of time. Had to call up senior guys and presented them the reality. Things did change, however again deteriorated over a period of 3 months or so.

Simply called the same senior people and we terminated the contract the very same day clearing their dues out and appointed a new vendor with contractual obligations so that nobody misbehaves with the employees or the general public.

On the other hand, there were few bad employees who encouraged the drivers to break rules. We indeed reprimanded them through the HR with a notice and possible termination if the actions repeated again.

The onus lies with the Company, Vendor and employees as well.

We were very strict on the timings and collected all the respective documents, RC book copy, insurance copy, driver license copy, Fitness certificate and Emission certificate.

Being a Bhpian, I did contribute in a very small way. Probably more people at the company front need to get to work properly in similar lines.

But let me tell you another fact, is that the vendors are also squeezed to such an extent that its difficult to keep the vehicles running profitably. Its a vicious circle in many ways.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 23:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Hey Tharian,

i dont agree the way you have got into arguing with a cab driver whatsoever, let anybody call it an unfortunate incident. Such incidents and arguments on the street happen only when we also get irritated and contribute to the whole incident.

Are you aware of A lady's fate when she was picked from her place by a cab driver to be dropped at her workplace ? i dont want to take this reputed company's name here. when these kind of incidents happen, we could do well by not get into any arguments on the streets with these morons.

Think about the damage you would have caused your family if only you had got hurt in the process.

Dont react at all , especially when on a two wheeler.

Safe riding !!!
I agree to what you said as I have been following the same for sometime now.
I used to loose my temper very easily on the road especially with cabs, and realized either me or the cabbie will end up having a black eye and realized it is all a waste of time. So anyone tried a stunt or drove rash, I just shake my head and ride on.

However, in this case it was different since he actually side swiped me which I have a feeling if I was on a lighter bike, I would be typing this being badly bruised. Hell!, I could have even been under his wheels! Which is why I reacted the way I did.
But, I am glad like few of us said I did not get into a major argument which could have made matters worse.
Once I realized there is no point talking to this guy is when I went over to the employee sitting in the passenger seat.

I agree with all the posts on how there are other reasons or elements because of which this kind of driving habits will never change. And it is not just cabs, before cabs, there were autos and BTS buses who ruled the roads . However , I had no clue until I read all the posts on this thread that IBM cabs top the chart.

I have posted a message on BTP's Fb page with the vehicle number, not that it will make a difference, and if it does, hats off to BTP!

Yes, I am aware of the lady you are referring to since I work for the same Organization.
Stepping out on the road is like going for a battle now. It is that risky and we just need to be on a guard always. Experiences like this makes us realize how uncouth the human race has become because of the attitude of a bunch of people and makes us loose trust on everyone on the road.
Old 18th May 2012, 20:25   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

The IBM Sumo cabs are pretty aggressive, even inside Manyata campus.

Was driving inside Manyata last month, heading out of the campus. Started from the far end (Cognizant / cafetria), down the road towards the exit. I wanted to go towards Hebbal, so had to take a right between A & B blocks.

There was a Sumo coming from well behind me. Dont know why I noticed it, but I did. He was coming quite fast, and right behind me at the point where I wanted to take the right turn. I started the turn, and he follows with about a feet or so gap between the vehicles. Any sudden braking on my part would have meant he rear-ends my Ikon. Managed to slow down gradually and stopped to let him pass. He pulls up, blocking the other half of the road and is shouting at me that I didnt use my indicators ! A shouting match that lasted 3-4 minutes ensured a back-up on both sides. He was forced to stop the chat and go only because of the security people of the adjacent blocks coming up to clear the way. He says I didnt use my indicators, while he himself was adjusting stuff on his dash while he barreled down that road from the cafeteria end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks