Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 23:36   #406
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Ok the minutes of the meeting is -

members who are interested in doing something for this please say yes, then we will PM you our mail ids and phone numbers and we will discuss the plan of action outside this forum.
Interesdted members as of now
CH Nathan
Ketan

others please join in by this week(ending 11th July) and we will let you know the next steps
Thanks,

Avijit
Please add my name in the list. I can't promise to join you guys on a meet because I have very unplanned weekends but other than this will try every possible thing, like picking up calls and reaching the spot to help someone etc..
I stay in C.V Raman Nagar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVictor View Post
Next I note down his name, vehicle number and verify the license plate pasted inside n take its pic
I don't think this could really help if you are boarding the auto because ultimately the cell phone and papers where you are noting down numbers and pics will be robbed.

Only thing you can do is, stay far away from autoes as much as possible (I know it is difficult).

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I am not sure how one person can help a person being attacked by 5-6 muggers unless I know some form of martial arts!!!
True, probably one should call the police and after doing so, try to gather some people to help unless one is shy enough to ask help from strangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisarkar View Post
1. What if I go out there and no one comes to my support. Thats just me and the victim against a 4-5 armed gundas. Definitely not a very comfortable situation for someone whose wife and kids are waiting for him at home.

2. What if this fight is an old gang rivalry sort of a thing. May be the guy who's getting bashed up is another rowdy sheeter from a gang and is just paying up for something.
Now I know why people don't want to help others in danger.
Whatever the situation is, you are doing nothing wrong in helping, so don't be so scared.
So you still keep these points in your mind if you see one of your relative/friend in such a situation?

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 7th July 2010 at 23:43.
Old 8th July 2010, 09:19   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
I don't think this could really help if you are boarding the auto because ultimately the cell phone and papers where you are noting down numbers and pics will be robbed.
I do something similar when getting into a Taxi/Auto in night, I take the number of the vehicle and send an SMS to my wife(if she is not travelling with me) and 2/3 office friends, and they also do the same thing when they travel. Text of the msg contains - Vehicle Number, What time, which stand. And thank god/Luck nothing has happened yet to use those SMSs. And I make sure the driver knows that I noted and informed a 3rd person about the details.
Old 8th July 2010, 09:40   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Please add my name in the list.
Ranjan,
Please PM your mail ID and mobile number to Asdon.
Old 8th July 2010, 11:25   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Your dad did good IMO. If you can salvage the situation,good, be a part. If you are going to get hurt be verbal only.
yeah, he did good to those security guards actually. I could have woken up few more dead heads in the queue if I stood there for few more minutes.

I was definately not trying to fight, I cannot, there were 4-5 security guards and more coming in from the nearby office. I was just trying to make sure there is a balance
What would have you done in that place? Try to talk to the security guards who were not listening to anyone around? rather than securing peopel they were beating one of them! Someone breaks a rule/law becuase they believe others wont or cant.

Last edited by Ketan : 8th July 2010 at 11:32.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:06   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Now I know why people don't want to help others in danger.
Whatever the situation is, you are doing nothing wrong in helping, so don't be so scared.
So you still keep these points in your mind if you see one of your relative/friend in such a situation?
That doesn't answer the question of is there a definite way which people can follow in these circumstances. The logic of 'your relative' doesn't hold good because thats the exact reason the bystander never takes the extra risk. What I'm saying is rather than just ranting on 'don't be scared' , 'go and fight' we need to see what exactly is the thing which is stopping the person from coming forward and try to address that.

P.S: If you read my post properly, nowhere I've mentioned that 'I think' that way or I won't come out to help. Am just trying to address this issue objectively from the other person's point of view.
Old 8th July 2010, 15:05   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I do something similar when getting into a Taxi/Auto in night, I take the number of the vehicle and send an SMS to my wife(if she is not travelling with me) and 2/3 office friends, and they also do the same thing when they travel. Text of the msg contains - Vehicle Number, What time, which stand. And thank god/Luck nothing has happened yet to use those SMSs. And I make sure the driver knows that I noted and informed a 3rd person about the details.
It makes more sense to tell this louder so that the driver hears you out. SMSing is anyway ON. But calling and telling one of them verbally will be good as he will be careful treating you.
Old 8th July 2010, 16:17   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
It makes more sense to tell this louder so that the driver hears you out. SMSing is anyway ON. But calling and telling one of them verbally will be good as he will be careful treating you.
There are more such ways.
1) Speaking in full blown local language or tit bits if that is known.

2) Making fake calls making the virtual person on the other end know
where you are and what color car/taxi you are in.

3) Referring the virtual person as 'Bhai' or 'Inspector saheb'. 'Bhai' will be preferred because of the obvious nexus between corrupt officials and such gangs.

Things like that.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 8th July 2010 at 16:20.
Old 8th July 2010, 17:23   #413

Quote:
2) Making fake calls making the virtual person on the other end know
where you are and what color car/taxi you are in.

Things like that.
A bit OT here, but this reminds me of my experience in KL. After rockin' till early morning at a popular club there , I & a colleague took a cab back to Hilton. Cabbie started discussing on some topic [ that is really off topic now ] and took us on a drive to the destination [ butik bintang ]. It was ~2/2.30 am by then and I watched the taxi go through narrow lanes, turning left n right, we were clueless where we were. It was like those high-speed car drives escaping from the cop pursuit, going past local markets, speed turns into lanes, drive with gas pedal pressed down .

Just before the cabbie had went wild, I got my colleague dial up our another colleague back in the hotel and gave our details, cabbie name, cab # etc and approximate time of coming back. Looking back on that event, I believe doing this was useful in more ways than one.

ah! stopping now with this off topic rant!

/iVictor

Last edited by bblost : 8th July 2010 at 18:54. Reason: No more than 2 smileys allowed per post. Thanks.
Old 8th July 2010, 18:34   #414
Senior - BHPian

Exactly, for example. I am challenged in Tamil. But hearing my colleagues talk every now and then have taught me a few words.
Now look how I converse on the phone to some virtual person over the phone to show off in front of a cabbie or a rick driver.

Me: Hello ? Haa Srivathsan, Yeppadi Irke ?
Me: Aaa.. Hotel The Park, haan wanga wanga, 8:30 ? Ade yeppadi Srivathsan ?
Me: Ok ok seri seri, bye bye.

Tamil tbhpians, beat that!

Ofcourse your phone has to be in silent.
Old 8th July 2010, 20:29   #415
BANNED

Quote:
Exactly, for example. I am challenged in Tamil. But hearing my colleagues talk every now and then have taught me a few words.
Now look how I converse on the phone to some virtual person over the phone to show off in front of a cabbie or a rick driver.

Me: Hello ? Haa Srivathsan, Yeppadi Irke ?
Me: Aaa.. Hotel The Park, haan wanga wanga, 8:30 ? Ade yeppadi Srivathsan ?
Me: Ok ok seri seri, bye bye.

Tamil tbhpians, beat that!

Ofcourse your phone has to be in silent.
And when the driver asks you directions or something else in hardcore Tamil which you don't understand what do you say? Yeppadi Irke ?
Old 8th July 2010, 21:10   #416
BHPian

Quote:
And when the driver asks you directions or something else in hardcore Tamil which you don't understand what do you say? Yeppadi Irke ?
i didnt understand what price mention and what you said, "Yeppadi Irke"..but lol

Old 8th July 2010, 21:12   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats strange. Why should a rickshaw driver ask me for directions ? What is he doing in a Richshaw then ? I will point him to another rickshaw driver and say 'Kelu' and charge him a consulting & outsourcing fee then. I know your question was on a lighter note but, the point is not to get mugged, improvise and strategies therein.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 8th July 2010 at 21:17.
Old 8th July 2010, 21:36   #418
BANNED

Quote:
Thats strange. Why should a rickshaw driver ask me for directions ? What is he doing in a Richshaw then ? I will point him to another rickshaw driver and say 'Kelu' and charge him a consulting & outsourcing fee then. I know your question was on a lighter note but, the point is not to get mugged, improvise and strategies therein.
No, seriously I have seen auto drivers asking directions. Probably they do this to check if we are aware of the route and they can take a longer route to add on to the metre reading.
Old 8th July 2010, 21:44   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, seriously I have seen auto drivers asking directions. Probably they do this to check if we are aware of the route and they can take a longer route to add on to the metre reading.
Absolutely correct. They do this when they are either new to the place or want to check about your know how of the city. But most genuine guys ask before hand and confess they don't know the route and will have to be giuded. Take a map along then. It is impractical to plan for such situations. Decamp/abandon rick on the next chowk and hire another one. There are plenty plying on the roads.
Old 8th July 2010, 22:04   #420
BHPian

I was a victim of another kind of mugging.

I reached my destination. Took out my luggage and gave the autowalla the agreed fare of Rs. 120. He demanded Rs. 30 more for luggage which I refused.

I started walking with my luggage and after a minute or two he shouted loudly though sounding very polite.

" Sir, you forgot to pay the fare."

I was perplexed. I tried to tell him that I paid. He started shouting loudly and people gathered. There was no one around who saw me paying. What to do? I was feeling thoroughly embarassed. I paid him again.

Murthy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks