Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 10:20   #481
BHPian

This event seems to have happened at 1.30AM. Think it is not the same gang involved in mugging earlier.
Old 17th August 2010, 10:24   #482
BHPian

Sorry guys there has been one more incident of mugging at Belandur-its just the victims presence of mind that saved him from further harassment. We advice our ladies to carry pepper spray-are you too macho to carry one?? I am an ex army officer but i carry one because its ridiculous to tackle 4-5 guys at one time-they may be carrying knives and choppers. Believe me, Pepper spray is a great equaliser!!!
I am asking you all "Are the cops serious-inspite of so many reportings why are they not patrolling Belunder and nearby areas?? Think??

Regards,

Col J H Mayne
Old 17th August 2010, 10:26   #483
BHPian

All thieves are brothers. We have heard the saying.

What time it happened or who did it is not the question. Whatever happened was wrong and should not happen at any time.

We need to beware and "bangalore is not safe at nights and days". I think the whole world knows this now. Bihar is a really famous state for these kinds of things, but I think bangalore has left it behind long way.

Needless to say, cops are hand in hand. @Jude I was searching for pepper spray and could not find one. Looked around in Hypercity Mall and Star bazzar. Can someone let me know where can I get a very strong pepper spray which would blind these robbers for life long?

Last edited by Googleman : 17th August 2010 at 10:28.
Old 17th August 2010, 11:13   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Needless to say, cops are hand in hand. @Jude I was searching for pepper spray and could not find one. Looked around in Hypercity Mall and Star bazzar. Can someone let me know where can I get?
Many online options are available if you google - Hawk, Cobra, Spikelabs, etc. But don't have any feedbacks on them yet.
Also I heard that Health & Glow shops sell them for about Rs.400-500. I have been lazy so far, but this week I am gonna buy one for sure.

Quote:
very strong pepper spray which would blind these robbers for life long?
What about carrying ACID bottles?
Old 17th August 2010, 11:15   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Many online options are available if you google - Hawk, Cobra, Spikelabs, etc. But don't have any feedbacks on them yet.
Also I heard that Health & Glow shops sell them for about Rs.400-500. I have been lazy so far, but this week I am gonna buy one for sure.

it is available in all health and glow outlets
Old 17th August 2010, 11:23   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post

Nice Idea, You never know when these robbers start robbing people with glasses on. Will check in Health & Glow this weekend and keep half a dozen of these cans in my car.

Acid bottles will be 2nd option of these half dozen don't work for them . Just kidding.
Old 17th August 2010, 11:44   #487
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure these guys are not put in place by the peper spray companies to drum up sales ?

But seriously scary stuff, people who work late please do take necessary precautions or maybe even go back the next day morning
Old 17th August 2010, 11:45   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
it is available in all health and glow outlets
You weren't serious about that right? or were you?
I don't think, Health and Glow folks will sell Acids whatsoever.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:07   #489
Senior - BHPian

With the acid bottle with you, you are just turning the table against you. Cops may not be serious to catch the thieves, but certainly you for holding / using the ACID

And with the ever increasing gap between the rich & poor, this is bound to happen. I am wondering what would happen if the Autos are reduced and those drivers are out of job or money. Dangerous!
Old 17th August 2010, 12:24   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All thieves are brothers. We have heard the saying.

What time it happened or who did it is not the question. Whatever happened was wrong and should not happen at any time.

We need to beware and "bangalore is not safe at nights and days". I think the whole world knows this now. Bihar is a really famous state for these kinds of things, but I think bangalore has left it behind long way.
Please enlighten us with statistics on where Bengaluru is far ahead of Bihar. I still thought that we were ahead only in good things.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:31   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Please enlighten us with statistics on where Bengaluru is far ahead of Bihar. I still thought that we were ahead only in good things.

Ofcourse we are ahead of good things as well as bad things but 1 good thing does not cancel 1 bad thing.

Statistics may speak but does not depict the real picture. Like you see, out of 100 only 10 cases are registerred with the police. Even the police denies to register cases since it 'increases' the number of crimes for that particular region.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:43   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ofcourse we are ahead of good things as well as bad things but 1 good thing does not cancel 1 bad thing.
Dont be too sure about being ahead in good things either.

New miracle economies: Bihar, poor states : India : S A Aiyar : TOI Blogs
Old 17th August 2010, 12:48   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Statistics may speak but does not depict the real picture. Like you see, out of 100 only 10 cases are registerred with the police. Even the police denies to register cases since it 'increases' the number of crimes for that particular region.
Police here register more petty cases than anywhere in India. That is one of the reasons why more numbers show up in Karnataka. This is established fact.
Do you know how many women go to work in Bengaluru and what times?

I understand your concern for safety and we need law enforcement to be strengthened. We need to have our own good high standards and not compare with places that are being compared with very backward African nations.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:57   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Police here register more petty cases than anywhere in India. That is one of the reasons why more numbers show up in Karnataka. This is established fact.

I understand your concern for safety and we need law enforcement to be strengthened. We need to have our own good high standards and not compare with places that are being compared with very backward African nations.
Lets not start a regional fight and these kind of comparisons don't help matters anyway. We need to think of ways to curb the menace and tackle the situation rather than start a Bangalore vs Bihar war.

Coming back to the topic, I don't find any way to solve this menace other than spread the awareness among fellow citizens and urge them to be cautious. I might be a pessimistic, but I don't see any other way out especially till the pot bellied men in khakis feel that these issues are important enough.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:05   #495
BHPian

Quote:

No wonder this place is at it's worst. Peopl still find it a pride

Well you don;t know how many women work in Bihar at what times do you? Read the article posted by Amitoj above.

If Bihar is compared with backward African Nations, bangalore should be compared to something even low-lived than them. You know why? There, it is the criminals which do the crime, but here, the auto drivers, bus drivers, Police inspectors, Slums, un-employed and many more join the list.

FYI - Bangalore has beaten New Delhi and Mumbai, infamously. In its latest findings, the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) rates Bangalore as the fifth city recording the highest crime rate, accounting for 9.2 per cent of crimes in the country. You will be proud of it

Am not continuing this comparision game to show "Hey wait, whatever is happening, it is better than ______" Lets be practical and less patriotic towards states than country itself.

Last edited by Googleman : 17th August 2010 at 13:07.

Most Viewed