Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 15:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

Looks like this thread has gone into a whirl after I posted about the incident. The idea was to make others know about the devious ways people are being mugged in this part of Bangalore and to help them take preventive measures.

One more point regarding "blending", the guys who got mugged were both locals, lived and studied in Bangalore, speaking Kannada and that didn't help them. It was in fact the thieves who were speaking broken Kannada, according to them.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:08   #62
Senior - BHPian

Well i agree with you completely, few months back there was a series of robbery around my place(in bangalore) cops found out that it was a gang which was from outside bangalore/karnataka which was behind all those robberies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Looks like this thread has gone into a whirl after I posted about the incident. The idea was to make others know about the devious ways people are being mugged in this part of Bangalore and to help them take preventive measures.

One more point regarding "blending", the guys who got mugged were both locals, lived and studied in Bangalore, speaking Kannada and that didn't help them. It was in fact the thieves who were speaking broken Kannada, according to them.
Old 10th May 2010, 18:36   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Well i agree with you completely, few months back there was a series of robbery around my place(in bangalore) cops found out that it was a gang which was from outside bangalore/karnataka which was behind all those robberies...
Which place? Please spread the news so that we be well prepared

Sounds quite funny. The saying is not true any more "Har kutta apni gali ka sher hota hai"
Old 10th May 2010, 19:17   #64
Senior - BHPian

Was thinking of taking the Ninja for a spin later in the evening around 9ish. But after reading this, i guess i'll stay put and leave the rides for the daytime or ride when I have company. :(

This really sucks and the cops aren't doing much to improve the safety aspect.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:33   #65
Senior - BHPian

Phew, I just read this thread now. I was thinking about reducing the tint in my car windows further. Have changed my mind just now
Old 10th May 2010, 19:42   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Bangalore was a safe city sometime back but definitely not so now, I think.
How long back are you talking about? Roughly 7 years back a friend of mine was stabbed and robbed on the indiranagar 100 feet road at 10 in the night while he was walking back from work.
As for us who drive, we should know exactly where the police stations are for the areas that we cross on our daily commute.
Old 10th May 2010, 20:00   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
How long back are you talking about? Roughly 7 years back a friend of mine was stabbed and robbed on the indiranagar 100 feet road at 10 in the night while he was walking back from work.
As for us who drive, we should know exactly where the police stations are for the areas that we cross on our daily commute.
He is talking of the times when there were hardly people who had cars, and very very less people using mobile phones . Phones were not robbed because it was even expensive to maintain a mobile phone with incoming like 5rs/min
Old 10th May 2010, 22:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Strange Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
Just to add on to this - there is another ploy that people use to dupe you basis your vehicle. This happened in Gurgaon with one of my wife's colleagues. They call you on your landline and on picking up the phone, the first thing they ask is "Is this car no. XX-XX-XX-XXXX your car". Being fronted with a question like this even without a "hello" on the phone, one tends to say yes immediately without ascertaining the purpose and the source of the call. The moment one says "yes", they start saying that there is a police case lodged in XYZ thana for a hit and run case and that the so called victim is injured and requires medical attention. What ensues thereafter of course is any one's guess. Complicity of the police, RTO and these thugs. Poor guy had to fork out close to 25-30K just to rid himself off these people. Will strongly urge people to be mindful of such calls because they initially seem like call centre calls for on-road assistance services.
Sorry, but I find this a bit strange. For a start, how does the con guy get your phone number, 2) how do they know your car number, 3) probably they have seen your car, noted the number, but then how do they get your phone number, 4)How do they know what is the number of the guy they call

Unless, someone went through the effort of doing a thorough investigation to fnd out these details
Old 11th May 2010, 00:40   #69
BHPian

Bangalore has indeed become unsafe and we need to be extra careful nowadays.

Some incidents happened in the past:

1. ATM: I accompanied my Dad to the ICICI Basaveshwaranagar. I was standing outside , while he went in. I observed that 2 guys on a bike were standing and looking in our direction. I am a little cautious on these terms. I observed them for a while. My Dad returned and we started heading back home but I was watching my rear view mirror. The same guys started coming in the same direction and followed us for a km. Then I stopped at the left side of the road in a busy area and kept watch. They stopped for a while and then knowing their game of up, went ahead in front of us. Till they were at the end of the road , the guy riding pillion turned to look at our position 3-4 times. This was at 10AM in the morning.

2. Finishing a party after office, I was heading towards race course road. As soon as I entered race course road , got a call from wife to check as it was 11:00PM. Pulled to the left and saw two bikes with 4 guys in front of me stopping 500mtrs in front of me. One bike takes a U turn in the same road and the other takes a U turn to ambush me from behind. I sensed danger and cut the call and bolted from there at high speed. They followed for 1 km , then gave up as the traffic was high on Sadashivnagar main road.

Moral of the story:

1. Do not stop to take calls late night in car or bike.

2. Do not try helping strangers as they might loot you.

3. Be aware of the surrounding near ATMs / Banks

Regards,
Indy
Old 11th May 2010, 01:03   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
Dude, good reflex but isn't this heights? It seems there is "Gunda-raaj" everywhere. You just feel so helpless some times.

The ATM scene is something most of us would be aware. I go only to ATM's at night which are at a posh area with security guards.
Old 11th May 2010, 07:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
The ATM scene is something most of us would be aware. I go only to ATM's at night which are at a posh area with security guards.
Ranjan, don't you think this is inviting for trouble? Security guards in front of the ATM is fine, but will they accompany you from ATM to home? Like inder says, they follow you on the roads, unless the posch area is at a distance of stone throw
Old 11th May 2010, 12:12   #72
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this is a good set of warnings

got to be very careful in today's world

especially driving alone at night/ after dark in ill lit roads

and of course while going to the ATM's.

better to do ATM stuff in broad daylight in a better class area and/ or a bank branch rather than just any road side ATM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post

Some incidents happened in the past:

1. ATM: I accompanied my Dad to the ICICI Basaveshwaranagar. I was standing outside , while he went in. I observed that 2 guys on a bike were standing and looking in our direction. I am a little cautious on these terms. I observed them for a while. My Dad returned and we started heading back home but I was watching my rear view mirror. The same guys started coming in the same direction and followed us for a km. Then I stopped at the left side of the road in a busy area and kept watch. They stopped for a while and then knowing their game of up, went ahead in front of us. Till they were at the end of the road , the guy riding pillion turned to look at our position 3-4 times. This was at 10AM in the morning.

2. Finishing a party after office, I was heading towards race course road. As soon as I entered race course road , got a call from wife to check as it was 11:00PM. Pulled to the left and saw two bikes with 4 guys in front of me stopping 500mtrs in front of me. One bike takes a U turn in the same road and the other takes a U turn to ambush me from behind. I sensed danger and cut the call and bolted from there at high speed. They followed for 1 km , then gave up as the traffic was high on Sadashivnagar main road.

Moral of the story:

1. Do not stop to take calls late night in car or bike.

2. Do not try helping strangers as they might loot you.

3. Be aware of the surrounding near ATMs / Banks

Regards,
Indy
Old 11th May 2010, 13:14   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
He is talking of the times when there were hardly people who had cars, and very very less people using mobile phones . Phones were not robbed because it was even expensive to maintain a mobile phone with incoming like 5rs/min
That was the time when my accent driving boss was in his early 20s, used to get high in one of the pubs in Brigade road and ride past his boss's home on his RX100 and accidentally shout not so good words as he went by.
Old 11th May 2010, 16:01   #74
Senior - BHPian

Mugging in trivandrum near technopark

I Know its little off topic but i got this email from one of my team members who is related to this guy who sent the orignal mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 3:18 PM
To:
Subject: Bad experience in TVM - Beware they are around TP

Hi Team,

Please be cautious and alert to avoid this kind of incidents again. Try to avoid walking alone on the sides on bypass and the road on back side of technopark after 7 PM. Try to go out in groups and avoid keeping debit/credit cards and large amount of money in your wallets. You can always call up the highway police at 9846100100 for help.

Regards,

Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 12:09 PM
To:
Subject: Bad experience in TVM.
Importance: High

Hi All,

I would like to share about a very bad experience happend to me on Sat night about 8:15pm (01-05-10) near to Kariyavattom junction(near techno park) in TVM.

I was on my way to have my dinner, hotel was near kazakkottam junction hence i caught a bus to get down on the desired destination, however i forgot to take my wallet so i got down from the bus
paid the conductor the remaining change which was left in my pocket. On my way back to my room 3 people on bike suddenly rushed near me on bike pushed me down and started hitting me very badly.
Their intention was to steal money , while two persons were manhandling me one was frantically checking my pockets for money as they found that i have no money with me they left me lying on the road and rushed back to thier vehicle. I was badly hurt and my mobile was also broken. I some how managed to get back to my room and scared to inform police as this happend very near to my room and this may happen again...

I want our mangement to make sure that this message reaches everyone hear, alert and inform all to be cautious while coming out late in the evening.
Where there is money there is crime, it was metros first and now even small cities are joining the list.

Pramod
Old 11th May 2010, 16:08   #75
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes dreamcatcher this particular con game seems a bit weird
what if you are the only driver of your car and have a perfect alibi sitting right there because you are either at home or at office?
doesnt somehow add up to make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Sorry, but I find this a bit strange. For a start, how does the con guy get your phone number, 2) how do they know your car number, 3) probably they have seen your car, noted the number, but then how do they get your phone number, 4)How do they know what is the number of the guy they call

Unless, someone went through the effort of doing a thorough investigation to fnd out these details

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks