Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 11:31   #796
BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Was discussing this with an auto guy whose rickshaw i use regularly, and he provided some details of the possible area where such guys stay (pretty near to the place where i stay ) and the police guys on the bike regularly comes there and collects their share, and if these thieves refuse they are threatened of being arrested.
If this is true, our complaints will only help the cops get their share and nothing else. I do think some cops definitely know these muggers. There is no way these people could get away with so many muggings otherwise.
Old 11th March 2011, 11:49   #797
Team-BHP Support

Indian Police are no more in crime prevention/detection business. They do crime management now. This was also mentioned by member gtabombay in the Pajero theft thread.

Police take action only if the case is high profile or the victim is well connected. In rest of the cases, they take the side of the criminal and get their cut. Victim be damned.
Old 11th March 2011, 12:18   #798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Indian Police are no more in crime prevention/detection business. They do crime management now..
]
Todays Bangalore Mirror

You need to get two members to propose and second your name. Then all 350 members cast their votes and you need to get a majority of the votes. So, obviously, you leave no stone unturned,” said a BTC member whose diary is packed with cocktail and dinner invitations. One of the wannabes is a Deputy Commissioner of Police serving in Mysore who is throwing a dinner at Taj West End.

I might be just about to afford such an event when my daughter gets married in 10 years +. I hope the Lok Ayukta is observing
Old 11th March 2011, 13:23   #799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Indian Police are no more in crime prevention/detection business. They do crime management now.

There was a joke circulating back during my school days itself that perversely, Indian cops are the most knowledgeable in the world, since they know about a crime before it occurs, since it their friends/relatives committing the crime!

This is precisely also why this country is a weak democracy: none of the government organs operate for the common citizen.
Old 11th March 2011, 13:46   #800
Team-BHP Support

India does not have the "castle doctorine" and "self defence" laws geared to protect the victim. If that were the case all you would need to do is retaliate, and put the mugger down once and for all. However, with the current law, you would be in jail if you prevented yourself from being mugged.
Alter_Ego, do not be surprised if somebody files a hit and run case against you.
Old 11th March 2011, 14:39   #801
Senior - BHPian

theMAG
Ever wonder why only 1 in 50 accident gets reported to the cops. They are only interested in fleecing you nothing else.

tsk1979
Forget defending yourself from muggers and thief's you cant even defend yourself from dogs.
Even steet Dogs are protected here !
Quote:
Your effort to defend yourself against a stray dog attack — or for that matter any animal— may land you in jail for ‘violent action’.

This is how the law works in our country. Just makes me sick. Im still baffled by how senseless this is.

Animal Welfare Act 2011 | Stray Dog free Bangalore | Stray Dog Menace | Violent Action | General

Last edited by Captain Slow : 11th March 2011 at 14:40.
Old 11th March 2011, 17:09   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
theMAG
Ever wonder why only 1 in 50 accident gets reported to the cops. They are only interested in fleecing you nothing else.
Couple of days back a friend of friend got injured in a bike accident. It was late in the night, and he was waiting at a signal, and qualis guy crashed into him head on. right portion of activa is smashed. biker flew and landed on bonnet and windshield of qualis. bruises on face, little head injuries from exposed part of helmet, and other injuries.
Cops came, said, its the mistake of cab, noted down details, took vehicle and some one took him to hospital. Next days cops call him and come home, and say that its mistake of both, why dont you compromise, claim self damage insurance etc etc.

reason is overnight they realize that this drunk cab driver is just a driver, and the cab belongs to a politician who owns travel company.
the worst part, they took 200 while releasing the vehicle which they took.
There is absolutely no rule of law which will protect a common man(read middle class) poor gets over with sympathy etc., and rich get over by greasing palms. If you are middle class, no political connections then you keep following rules and law, and hope and pray that you don't land up in trouble because of other illegal activities by others.
Old 12th March 2011, 23:08   #803
BHPian

Motor cycle gang stikes again?!

Location : Service road in front of aranya restaurant opposite fernhill appartments, sarjapur road.
Time : around 1.30 pm afternoon.
I had come to attend a function that was being conducted in a party hall at aranya restaurant. Hence I just parked the car right in front of the restaurant on the service road, came out of the car with my wife and kids. 5 minutes later, i saw small gathering around my car. went down to see what was that all about. I saw driver side window of my car is shattered.
it took me some time to realize what had happened. since we travel with small kids, my wife used to pack extra clothes, some food, her make up kit (creams, lip sticks and other feminine beauty enhancers) etc all in a bag. we had kept that right on the front seat. Since i have a kerala regn car and we came there to attend a function this stupid thieve(s) must have thought that bag must be containing all my wife's jewellery.

My biggest lose wasnt the bag or glass. after the function i was planning to go to my friends place. he had taken quiet a few pics of my kids with his cam and i wanted to copy all of them into my hdd. hence i had taken it along and left it at the front panel. that hdd had all the videos and pics that i had taken in the past 6 years with no back ups anywhere. they took off with that too!

valuable lession learned. never ever leave any bags in the car even if there lots of people around.

Last edited by bblost : 13th March 2011 at 08:09. Reason: extra smiley deleted. No more than 2 per post. Thanks.
Old 12th March 2011, 23:55   #804
BHPian

Antony - Very sorry to hear your loss. You can take umpteen pictures of your family (of course not that of the past events). Wondering if Bangalore is now under the administration of Somalia or such country?
Old 13th March 2011, 04:55   #805
BHPian

HSR layout is infested by these muggers. It's all about if it's your day or not. No body can guarantee that you'll not be target of these muggers, thieves blah...
God bless India.
Old 14th March 2011, 01:59   #806
Senior - BHPian

sorry to hear that antoni but leaving a bag in a car's front seat(or rear for that matter) will attract thieves in any part of the world. I make it a point to never have stuff visible whenever I park the car, everything just gets dumped into the boot.

Last edited by sammyboy : 14th March 2011 at 02:02.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:02   #807
BHPian

Re: Motor cycle gang stikes again?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
Location : Service road in front of aranya restaurant opposite fernhill appartments, sarjapur road.
Time : around 1.30 pm afternoon.
I had come to attend a function that was being conducted in a party hall at aranya restaurant. Hence I just parked the car right in front of the restaurant on the service road, came out of the car with my wife and kids. 5 minutes later, i saw small gathering around my car. went down to see what was that all about. I saw driver side window of my car is shattered.
it took me some time to realize what had happened. since we travel with small kids, my wife used to pack extra clothes, some food, her make up kit (creams, lip sticks and other feminine beauty enhancers) etc all in a bag. we had kept that right on the front seat. Since i have a kerala regn car and we came there to attend a function this stupid thieve(s) must have thought that bag must be containing all my wife's jewellery.

My biggest lose wasnt the bag or glass. after the function i was planning to go to my friends place. he had taken quiet a few pics of my kids with his cam and i wanted to copy all of them into my hdd. hence i had taken it along and left it at the front panel. that hdd had all the videos and pics that i had taken in the past 6 years with no back ups anywhere. they took off with that too!

valuable lession learned. never ever leave any bags in the car even if there lots of people around.
anToN, That is one hell of a place you parked your car. There is a Madhuloka outlet nearby the Aranya restaurant and all sorts of people gather there for their weekend parties in that service road. 'yes' the party will be on road itself. I stay in the layout behind, i use to see people every day getting liquor and enjoying in their car itself and doing all sorts of nonsesce on the road. Road rage's and thefts are very common because of those local drunkards. next time if you happen to come to that restaurant park it inside the layout behind which is very peaceful and no nonsesce area.

Last edited by BulZire : 14th March 2011 at 13:03.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:52   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
India does not have the "castle doctorine" and "self defence" laws geared to protect the victim. If that were the case all you would need to do is retaliate, and put the mugger down once and for all. However, with the current law, you would be in jail if you prevented yourself from being mugged.
Alter_Ego, do not be surprised if somebody files a hit and run case against you.
That is not quite accurate. the indian penal code does provide for self defence and even to the extent of killing your attacker, if your life is in imminent danger and you do not have the opportunity to seek recourse from thep police-eg. armed break in into your house at night.
Old 15th March 2011, 15:46   #809
BHPian

As a 'survivor' of a possible mugging attempt, here's my simple tip:
a) Be mentally prepared for what you will do in a possible mugging attempt. Think of it now, what all you will need to do if you face such an attempt, and you can react much better if at all it happens.

b) Dont be cowed down. Be neutral, or even be aggressive. Muggers' only aim is how to extract maximum money, with minimum effort. Their battle loses ground very fast if either of these is compromised.

And lastly, as a possibly debatable point - learn the local language. Although mugging finally is a fight between the haves and the have-nots, maybe the local language will help.
Old 15th March 2011, 17:03   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
That is not quite accurate. the indian penal code does provide for self defence and even to the extent of killing your attacker, if your life is in imminent danger and you do not have the opportunity to seek recourse from thep police-eg. armed break in into your house at night.
+1 to this. The rights of self defense are laid down in Section 96 to 106 of the IPC.

Check out the following links for more info:

Citizens can`t be cowards, can kill in self defence: SC

http://www.masterofearth.info/ipc_for_self_defense.html

I guess it's the monstrous hassle caused by the police and the slow judiciary that forces the common man to act in a tamed manner, even when threatened.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks