Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 13:20   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's an understood fact that the police will not help the common man when he/she is in trouble. Only the high-profile and well-connected people will have their way with the police. the others are left to fend for themselves.
Thats true! Your list is quite exhaustive and will surely help some among us. However, as someone who has never gotten into a fight I find it a bit difficult to initiate any physical sparring. At the same time, I am sure if the situation demands it and someone threatens our safety, I could probably be instigated into a mini monster. I will surely start looking for the pepper spray; not sure if I have it in me to keep a slugger in the car
How strong is the Jopasu duster rod, just kidding

Quote:
Remember, self-defence will not land you into trouble if you have sufficient evidence.
Now, how do we define sufficient?!
Old 26th May 2011, 13:30   #827
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
and then drop by at Health & Glow and buy a can of mace (pepper-spray) and keep it in your car at all times.

Remember, self-defence will not land you into trouble if you have sufficient evidence.
loved that list. Are you sure the pepper spray cans are available easily for purchase that way? I always thought they weren't sold directly over-the-counter to prevent these from getting into wrong hands (goons) If they are, I am picking up a can or two for my daily office commute along HSR-Agara-ORR route
Old 26th May 2011, 14:08   #828
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Thats true! Your list is quite exhaustive and will surely help some among us. However, as someone who has never gotten into a fight I find it a bit difficult to initiate any physical sparring. At the same time, I am sure if the situation demands it and someone threatens our safety, I could probably be instigated into a mini monster. I will surely start looking for the pepper spray; not sure if I have it in me to keep a slugger in the car
How strong is the Jopasu duster rod, just kidding

Now, how do we define sufficient?!
The slugger must be used ONLY when the muggers get violent. And for the occasional round of soft-ball.

Sufficiency of evidence can be determined by one's ability to take photos at the right time, or if one has a voice recorder. Mount a cam on the dash if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
loved that list. Are you sure the pepper spray cans are available easily for purchase that way? I always thought they weren't sold directly over-the-counter to prevent these from getting into wrong hands (goons) If they are, I am picking up a can or two for my daily office commute along HSR-Agara-ORR route
Health & Glow outlets generally keep them in stock. It can be purchased by anyone. But I don't think it would be sold to those who 'look' like goons and gundas.

----------------------------------------

And another very important point that I'd forgotten to mention.
  • Never, and I repeat, NEVER, get out of your car, in an attempt to negotiate with them. There is no question of trying to talk yourself out of this. Muggers have one thing in mind. Valuables. So no amount of talking or threatening will get you out of the situation. You must close all your doors and windows and call for help.
  • If, by any chance, they force you out of your car or you find yourself out of your car, raise an alarm immediately. Be as loud as you can. Buy a whistle too.
So remember, arm yourself with the following weapons:
  • Pepper-spray.
  • Slugger (optional)
  • Phone with good camera, or a regular digi-cam.
  • Whistle.
  • knuckle-duster (again-optional)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th May 2011 at 14:15.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 14:23   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure the pepper spray cans are available easily for purchase that way? I always thought they weren't sold directly over-the-counter to prevent these from getting into wrong hands (goons)

Yes, pepper spray is easily available from Health and Glow and it comes with a leaflet with enough stating that carrying pepper spray is not against any law. Although I would suggest using the pepper spray when necessary, don't risk yourself getting out of the car to take photos. The best course of action is to fled the scene ASAP.
Old 26th May 2011, 14:28   #830
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
He escaped the horrific incident without any major injury.
Everything else is replaceable but being hit in the wrong places can be a burden for a long time.

Your friend showed exceptional presence of mind in getting away from that situation. That was a very brave act. Do let him know that his quick thinking has been appreciated.

It does not prove anything when you have to slug it out with these low life's. Remember karma is a well.. and I have seen these type of people come from a very disturbed background. They already have enough issues they have to deal with that they take to these methods to make them feel better.

I am sure they have gone back to their wretched lives patting themselves for hurting an un-armed person in a group.

Quote:
Highlighted the word defence. Its just that. Some of your points are poining towards getting offensive.

Remember, how much ever you may be armed or trained. The guy who is trying to bring bodily harm to you has come to do just that. He comes ready for an offensive from you. And is ready to put up a fight if need be. For you it is just trying to save yourself.

Best thing is to run and get out of the situation.

However much you may be ready, taking over more then 1 person in a street brawl will land you in a hospital for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I find it a bit difficult to initiate any physical sparring.
There is a trigger. Certain actions or words. You will get to know them when you experience it.

Remember the one who thinks that he is more in danger (cornered) fights the hardest. The muggers will mostly know that - experience. This is for a one on one situation.
Old 26th May 2011, 14:29   #831
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So remember, arm yourself with the following weapons:
  • Pepper-spray.
  • Slugger (optional)
  • Phone with good camera, or a regular digi-cam.
  • Whistle.
  • knuckle-duster (again-optional)
May I add to this list, a portion of rope/steel chains to tie them up after the softball game + blinding them? On second thought, maybe that would be too ambitious to try just kidding

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th May 2011 at 14:33.
Old 26th May 2011, 14:51   #832
Team-BHP Support

Something that happened last week in Chennai.

Its technically not a mugging. Its not Bangalore. But the trick employed was so funny and stupid. Some low life in Bangalore would try it as well.

Minor accident while I am driving. Totally my fault. 2 fellows on a bike fall down.

I am quite close to my house. While they keep shouting, I tell them I will be back in a minute as I would drop off my family.
I ask my neighbors to identify me so they know I am not gonna run away.

Then starts the comedy.
The rider claims he has lost his mobile. His pillion prompting him and he say, yes yes, my new black berry is lost.

At first glance, bike appears to have a bent fork and some broken indicators.
Not moving forward.

I offer 2k. The rider appears to get very incensed and says I am very bad. blah blah blah.

After 4 hours of shouting from them, I start shouting at them.
Realized that the fork bend is very minor if t all.
The bike was stuck because the saree guard was bent in.

I pull it back. Bike looks ok. At max, if they replace every bent thing it would cost 1k.
They also have tiny cuts on their ankles.

So I stick to my original offer of 2k.

They take it.

Now what is so funny about it.
The rider claims he lost his mobile. The pillion has 3 mobiles in his hand.

Wanna be muggers need a little more practice.

Just in case you want to know. My damage was a broken number plate.
Old 26th May 2011, 15:23   #833
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Highlighted the word defence. Its just that. Some of your points are pointing towards getting offensive.

Quote:
The slugger must be used ONLY when the muggers get violent.
Remember, how much ever you may be armed or trained. The guy who is trying to bring bodily harm to you has come to do just that. He comes ready for an offensive from you. And is ready to put up a fight if need be. For you it is just trying to save yourself.

Best thing is to run and get out of the situation.

However much you may be ready, taking over more then 1 person in a street brawl will land you in a hospital for sure.
Well, I've quoted myself in your quoted post, Spitfire.

Yes, the best thing to do in such a situation would be to run away from the scene. Our lives are more important than these unnecessary street-brawls. But in case the muggers do get violent, I will not hold back.

If they try to unlock my car by sticking their arm through the open window, I would spray them and drive off. If they pull out a knife and threaten me, I will spray them and drive off. But if they, so much as lay a finger on me or attempt to hurt me, I will not keep quiet. This is of course, only if I have the mentioned weaponry.

I play a lot of Cricket and I've taken a liking to Golf, off late, so I can back myself when it comes to my swinging abilities.

Quote:
May I add to this list, a portion of rope/steel chains to tie them up after the softball game + blinding them? On second thought, maybe that would be too ambitious to try just kidding
At this point, I've run out of smileys. And I would have loved to use at least 3 more for this statement!

Drop your number in my inbox. If I do run into any goons and if my aforementioned plans work, then I shall call you for a round of soft-ball on the ORR. We'll include the goons too. After all, it is a team game! *Winks*

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th May 2011 at 15:28.
Old 26th May 2011, 15:37   #834
BANNED

Quote:
This is of course, only if I have the mentioned weaponry.
You aren't ready for anything man. With or without weaponry. Your strongest weapon is your brain. Believe me. I have got into enough brawls to know where the line is crossed from being courageous to being foolish.

Advice: Join some good Krav Maga Classes in Bangalore.

I got trained during my NCC days. Its quite useful to know you are prepared.
Spitfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 16:52   #835
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You aren't ready for anything man. With or without weaponry. Your strongest weapon is your brain. Believe me. I have got into enough brawls to know where the line is crossed from being courageous to being foolish.

I completely agree. When the situation does come, one would be dumb-founded as to what to do. Very few people react quickly enough to negate such incidents.
Old 26th May 2011, 17:48   #836
BHPian

To stop all these incidents we have to take the matter in our hands. As we have seen cops are of no help. There may be a handful of good cops but most of them are corrupted and have to be involved with these muggers.

This mugging is thriving because the muggers know that they can get hold of some lonely person and make him/her fall into their trap...and nobody will come to that person's rescue.

If people stop when they see someone bullied and interfere to save the poor guy, then these sort of incidents will automatically stop.

We should keep in mind that these muggers are not terrorists so they wont be armed with guns and all, at max they will be carrying a knife/dagger. So if people in 3-4 other cars stop by to interfere(assuming each car having 1 person, if more then its a bonus) So, it makes a group of around 4-5 person including the victim. And if all these people take their ground and help the victim, then even 2 guys with knifes/daggers do not stand a chance. It also provides a fair chance to nab the muggers.

After nabbing them, these guys should be beaten like hell(as we say "public dhulai") before handing over to cops, and their pictures should be clicked with all the brutal injuries and should be there in the next day's newspapers.

Other muggers should be able to see what can happen to them if they get caught. And seeing those horrific images even they would think twice before mugging another person.We need to instigate fear in their minds too.

Bottom line is, we have to stand up for our own safety...these are simple muggers(unemployed and 3rd class wannabe goons) and we need not fear them if we know that people passing by will stop and join to help.
ravi_23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 19:34   #837
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, seems like pepper spray is the way to go.

Also, hard as it sounds, try not to look scared. These goons thrive on fear, and if they sense you're scared expect more trouble and harassment. Stay calm and try to leave the scene ASAP. Don't get out of your car.

Quote:
It's an understood fact that the police will not help the common man when he/she is in trouble.
  • Roll up your windows, lock all the doors and dial 100
Sounds contradictory

Last edited by anekho : 26th May 2011 at 19:37.
Old 26th May 2011, 21:23   #838
BHPian

Quote:

OT:
Naughty Boy! You should be charged with promoting violence. An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind. I know, we dont want to loose our eyes.
We have been in an around quite a few so called dirty neighborhoods, but does it mean that we have been mugged always.
e.g. the story about the drunk guy falling off the bike :
Just after slamming the brake, roll down the window and scream at the guy! you are expected to scream because u would have run over him otherwise. We can be the good samaritan after that.
It all depends on who takes the initiative.
Old 27th May 2011, 11:16   #839
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
OT:Naughty Boy!

I was honestly trying to help our club swinging mate.
Old 27th May 2011, 11:22   #840
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Hmm, seems like pepper spray is the way to go.

Also, hard as it sounds, try not to look scared. These goons thrive on fear, and if they sense you're scared expect more trouble and harassment. Stay calm and try to leave the scene ASAP. Don't get out of your car.

Sounds contradictory
Aneesh!

How've you been man, long time!

It does sound contradictory. Why I say dial 100 is well, you have nothing to lose at that point, you might as well dial 100 whether or not the cops will come to your rescue. Also, with an aux-port/bluetooth, you can make it very obvious to the muggers that you are dialing the police!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks