Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2011, 11:07   #886
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

It is an undeniable fact that the level of aggression in an argument rises as soon as it comes out that the other person does not know the local language.

Next time you have an argument, pretend you can't speak Kannada and then observe what happens next.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 11:19   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
It is an undeniable fact that the level of aggression in an argument rises as soon as it comes out that the other person does not know the local language.

Next time you have an argument, pretend you can't speak Kannada and then observe what happens next.
Totally agree with Amitoj. Once they realize that you do not speak the local language, the level of aggression jumps to an all out physical/verbal abuse.

I recently encountered such a situation, but with respect to road-rage. I think had I stepped out of the car, then it would have got ugly altogether, atleast for me. I am sure the street vendors and the local crowd, especially the rick drivers would support the local over me even though I had made no mistake. I want to believe that people are just, but I would change my belief only if I am proven wrong, atleast once.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2426946
Xryder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 20:36   #888

@atrisarkar - Its was at 10:45AM, I realized only after he pressed to much on dont use the mobile near ATM.

@Arkin evoisrevo - That road is not something were you could drive off. he could have stopped me in a minute.

First thing i would have not stopped the car. The way he asked me to stop felt like my door was open or i had a flat Tyre. Also i am not that easy when someone talks that harsh to me. But this guy was huge. I know this sounds silly. But my plan was to go to ATM and put the pin is reverse order. I am not using that road for sometime.

Actually my mind did not work well. I should have taken his bike number. Had all good contacts to teach him a lesson. If only the bike was genuine
b-positive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 22:34   #889
BHPian

i totally agree with you @B-positive - Its all the mind which decides on a particular day! its very easy for people for eg: @Arkin to advise. Depending on the temperament on a particular day you will react. No matter how brave you are! For eg: If my deadline is approaching in my company and if i dont meet the deadline for a project on a particular day i will lose my job - on the same day if i would have faced situation like you either i would have been over aggressive and taught the goon a lesson OR would have acted totally submissive!

Whatever may be the case i am happy that you came out of the incident safe and unhurt!
Old 21st July 2011, 23:15   #890
BHPian

@-B positive- Actually you have handled the situation very well. There will be no use fighting with those guys. If they get irritated, they may harm you or your car which is surely gonna cost you more. It is a good exercise to talk something with these people and delay time and seek help from some of your people.

I personally feel you should have been a bit more courageous and with a loud tone should have almost controlled them by saying that "Wait for your money, i will give it --- but you do not have any right restricting me talking over phone". Also these people do not fight with those who know Kannada and sometimes they run away when you some abusive language in Kannada to show that you belong this place and know things. They normally target the newcomers to Bangalore.

I understand that advising is very easy and directly handling these kinda situations are more difficult as we think it to be. But anyway you came out of the situation very well with out any harm. Thank god for that.

Last edited by rki2007 : 21st July 2011 at 23:19.
Old 22nd July 2011, 00:08   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-positive View Post
But my plan was to go to ATM and put the pin is reverse order.
Does it actually work? I thought this was some urban myth.
Old 22nd July 2011, 03:05   #892
BHPian

has anyone tried keying the ATM PIN in reverse 3 times? does it trigger the cops?? I have seen many emails on this but does it really work? All i know is its takes 2 weeks for the new pin to arrive to you
Old 22nd July 2011, 09:06   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
has anyone tried keying the ATM PIN in reverse 3 times? does it trigger the cops?? I have seen many emails on this but does it really work? All i know is its takes 2 weeks for the new pin to arrive to you
Its a Hoax/Spam spread on the internet.
The idea exists but is not implemented for practical reasons.
Otherwise how would palindrome numbers function or be checked for reverse! (eg. 1881, 1111, 1221,etc)
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:55   #894
BANNED

The muggers have got even bolder and are scrapping for everything they can. A cyclist was mugged too.

His 14.5 k cycle was taken .

I think this is becoming a medium sized business in Bangalore with good returns. Somebody wants to develop an app to search targets for these muggers?

Parameters to be looked at - non - kannadiga + meek software engineer and tendency to work late.
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:09   #895
BHPian

I think this was in today's newspaper. Victim was a media person and was cycling back home late in the night after work, AFAIK this happened in Rajaji Nagar.

Muggers initially wanted to grab his wallet. People came out of the house hearing the noise at such an odd hour. Muggers got desperate and snatched victim's cycle instead

As confirmed in the newspaper victim immediately went to the police station to lodge a complaint and COPS refused to file a case outright! After lot of pressurizing they finally filed a case.

Last edited by lazybrain : 22nd July 2011 at 15:11.
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:17   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
I think this was in today's newspaper. Victim was a media person and was cycling back home late in the night after work, AFAIK this happened in Rajaji Nagar.

Muggers initially wanted to grab his wallet. People came out of the house hearing the noise at such an odd hour. Muggers got desperate and snatched victim's cycle instead

As confirmed in the newspaper victim immediately went to the police station to lodge a complaint and COPS refused to file a case outright! After lot of pressurizing they finally filed a case.
I was wondering why the cops wouldn't file a case! I mean is it the "It's only a cycle" attitude?

And if this is happening in areas like Rajajinagar, then it surely doesn't have anything to do with Kannadigas or Non-kannadigas, because this is one of the older areas of Bangalore filled with localites!
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:41   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
But yeah given the general xenophobia in this city and the lack of spine by others on the road towards helping people in need. What you did was right.

But surely this city suffers from acute selfishness.
Firstly, Xenophobia exists everywhere, i will cite an example:
There is a Political party in Mumbai called 'MNS' which hates 'North Indians' and has garnered votes of people and are in the legislative house with a fair representation. Now there are people who have voted for them in huge numbers so quite really there are millions of people inside Mumbai who quite really hate 'North Indians'. But are Marathi's bad ??

People will always find reasons to hate other people, but the fact is ! A shortage of very basic resources make people turn to crime and in the process will make use of your insecurity; for example not knowing the local language or the lack of tendency to violence to make a quick buck, like the good man here, though he knew Kannada but was helpless.

And coming to your rant about selfishness. Not just this city places like bangalore, mumbai are champions of entrepreneurship led the India boom in the initial days and have opened their doors to many people all over the country. There are millions of Tibetians, North Easterners, North Indians, South Indians who would not want to be anywhere else.

Last edited by GTO : 4th August 2011 at 16:33. Reason: Attack the issue, not the person. Removing personal attack content
vshetty is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:50   #898
BANNED

Now coming back to your issue that such things exist all over the planet and in the jungles of Timbuktoo.

Please read the heading of the post. You see a name of a city in it? It is city specific so city specific replies. You see issues in other cities open a new thread with that city name.

Last edited by GTO : 4th August 2011 at 16:33. Reason: Attack the issue, not the person. Removing personal attack content
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:04   #899
BHPian

I was only helping you see the light brother. That such issues exist everywhere and stop ranting about any city or place or people, since it will upset many and this 'Xenophobia' is only going to be compounded. People are going to read comments such as yours and going to form unwanted opinions, I apologize for getting personal initially.

Last edited by GTO : 4th August 2011 at 16:34. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:28   #900
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshetty View Post
I was only helping you see the light brother.
I am feeling like the light brother. Seriously.

I have been to the HAL Airport Police Station so many times that the guys out there greet me now. And none of the times for my issues. I am an activist like someone called me somewhere.

I have gone to sign as witness for accidents against the party that was clearly at fault. Have got threats and what not.

So what I say is a deep rooted sense of what is wrong with this place. Only good thing being if I was in any other city more notorious then this one. I could have been in a grave by now.
Spitfire is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks