Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 12:17   #931
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Did you stop to help the City guy?
I informed the police unit up ahead, and ensured they started out to help.

On a previous occasion, i walked in to the Varthur police station to ask them to help a person on an Optra who was being surrounded by rowdies near Gunjur on the Varthur-Sarjapur road. I once again ensured they took out their Bolero to help. The cops at the Varthur police station were helpful, and also spoke English. they started immediately. They also mentioned that is a problematic area.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 14:17   #932
BHPian

Last weekend around 10:30AM, I was waiting for my turn at a signal in JP Nagar, when traffic cops came on a bike and pulled out a bike rider. I was wondering why he pulled only him. There were many bikes, without helmet too. When I was trying to search for the reason, I saw the bike had registration number in Kannada, black bike and two riders without helmet. Not sure, if it has anything to do with mugging, just thought of sharing...
Selective is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 23:15   #933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thanks. This is not the first time i wasn't able to connect. Even for the incident which involved my car's accident with an auto, i tried calling the cops from my mobile and it didn't go through.
Try this - Police Control Room- 080 25588555. Store this number. Assign a number for speed dialing so it can be dialed easily in case of an emergency.
Shubz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 23:33   #934
BANNED

One of these days. A frustrated IT guy is going to kill one of these rogues and all hell will break lose.

I am just hoping its not me.
Spitfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:29   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
One of these days. A frustrated IT guy is going to kill one of these rogues and all hell will break lose.

I am just hoping its not me.
Never ever think / dream of that friend. Those local souls are utterly frustrated and can stoop down to any level and can do any harm to you...we should not retaliate. Yes its frustrating for the IT guys as well ...in Bangy/ Pune / other cities but we have other priorities to address rather than thinking of thse useless rogues.

Always try to ignore/ avoid them as far as possible till it comes to physically harming you when you might try police/ use self defense as last resort.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:00   #936
Team-BHP Support

The situation mentioned earlier near the Bellandhur lake can be avoided. Firstly that road is not Sarjapur road, it's on the bellandhur lake road leading to HAL. This is a dark secluded road with no cops or any crowd nearby.

At 9:45pm I would think twice to take this road even if I was in a car unless I stay on that road. If I was using it to commute between bellandhur and airport road I would take Marthalli ORR or Koramangala inner ring road.

These are just a few things to keep in mind when driving alone at night especially. Some other roads to avoid at night are:

1. If you stay on Sarjapur road and work in electronics city don't use Harlur road at night. Take Hosur road and come via silk board then outer ring road.

Alternatively you can take a u-turn at Bomanahalli and cut across HSR layout and join ORR at the Bus depot/indian oil bunk/Mantri apt. This can be used before 10pm.

2. If you work at ITPL and stay near Sarjapur road then try to avoid using the Varthur lake road route at night after 9pm. Definitely avoid the Carmelaram station road after dark. The outer ring road from Marthahalli to Sarjapur is not that bad after 9pm and is shorter.

Basically I'm saying use roads that have more cars and are better lit. I know mugging incidents are also possible on the above roads but we as individuals can reduce our chances.

Anyways we love to drive so taking a longer route at night is not a problem.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd September 2011 at 11:02.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:23   #937
BHPian

Not sure whether well lit roads or busy roads will stop mugging. This incident happened with my friend 3 days back. Location - the road opposite to Forum Mall , koromangala, besides Home town. Busy road with hostels and shops. Time was 9:30 PM. He was walking, 2 guys came on bike started hitting him. He was too shocked to respond. I think people also thought of it as personal issues. By the time he collected himself, the guys fled with the gold chain he was wearing. The sad thing is with Gold it 100% return for these rogues.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:45   #938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.janghel View Post
By the time he collected himself, the guys fled with the gold chain he was wearing.
Though this mugging too, police would classify this incident as 'chain-snatching', which is more common than 'mugging'. Chain-snatching usually happens in crowded areas and mostly victims are married women. Please report this incident & keep track the complaint every week or so. Police catch chain-snatcher routinely and your friend's chain might be recovered.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:56   #939
Senior - BHPian

A shocking incident happened to one of my colleagues yesterday. She wanted to go to St John's hospital from Maharaja hotel Koramanagala and hailed an auto. Once she was sitting inside, the auto guy said "I have 10 notes of 100, can you exchange it for 500 notes". While surprised at this strange request (normally people ask for change of 100 notes from 500 notes), she said yes. The Auto guy gives her 10 notes of 100 and she took out 2 500 notes and gave it to auto guy. The auto guy distracted her by saying something about checking meter and then exclaimed "Ye kya madam, you have given me 2 100 notes". She was puzzled but then she thought she might have made a mistake. So first mistake - she took out another 2 500 ka notes and gave it to him.

Surprise Surprise !! He pulls off this stunt again ! He again says madam you have given me 2 100 notes. Getting alarmed, my colleague starts speaking in Kannada saying you are trying to cheat me and lets go to police station. The auto guy starts screaming abuses at her, puts his hand in his pocket to take out a knife and pushes her out of the auto and scoots off. My colleague was too shocked to even note down the auto number !

Really shocking considering it happened in broad daylight at 10 in the morning right next to 100ft road Koramangala next to Maharaja hotel !
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:43   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Did you stop to help the City guy?

How about BHPians who stay/travel around Sarjapur or ORR creating a thread and sharing numbers? I think this was discussed before but never really took off. I stay near Bellandur and it would take me ten minutes to get to anyone who calls. Sometimes this might be faster/better than calling the police. I believe most mugging situations here could have been avoided with the support of one or more persons speaking for the victim.

PS: I am a localite; if that helps.

PPS: 100 works perfectly fine from my airtel connection - police control room responds fast enough too. It's the local police stations that are a nuisance.
Good thought, lots of people here are from around Bellandur, ORR, lets start it.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:58   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Last weekend around 10:30AM, I was waiting for my turn at a signal in JP Nagar, when traffic cops came on a bike and pulled out a bike rider. I was wondering why he pulled only him. There were many bikes, without helmet too. When I was trying to search for the reason, I saw the bike had registration number in Kannada, black bike and two riders without helmet. Not sure, if it has anything to do with mugging, just thought of sharing...
At which j.p.nagar signal was this? nice to see police randomly checking on bikes even if its not related to mugging.

-Sajan
Old 22nd September 2011, 15:19   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
A shocking incident happened to one of my colleagues yesterday.

Sure is shocking, and it did happen to me as well couple of years back. It was late in the night and I had hailed an auto from majestic to Yeshwantpur railway station. The guy looked a thug to the 'T' , not looks exactly but his antics on the road and to other people on the road. When I reached the station he stopped the auto a bit further than the designated stop( In hind sight I realize that this spot was dark). I get down and give him a 100 Rs note and a 10 Rs note. I pick the bag when he tells me that I have given him two 10 Rs. note. He was very convincing and the time taken between i paying him and he saying it was so short that i did not expect anything wrong. I apologize and give him the 100 buck and go to the station! Sigh!
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:20   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
"Ye kya madam, you have given me 2 100 notes". She was puzzled but then she thought she might have made a mistake. So first mistake - she took out another 2 500 ka notes and gave it to him.
Had similar experience in New York. Took taxi from JFK airport to my hotel. After reaching hotel, the fair was around $ 80 and I handed over $100 bill. And the magic! he did show me and said I have given him only $10!! I knew I had only one $100 bill which I gave it to him, but I had nothing to argue after a long tired journey!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
At which j.p.nagar signal was this? nice to see police randomly checking on bikes even if its not related to mugging.

-Sajan
This happened near newly installed Brigade Millenium singal.
Old 23rd September 2011, 21:27   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Had similar experience in New York. Took taxi from JFK airport to my hotel. After reaching hotel, the fair was around $ 80 and I handed over $100 bill. And the magic! he did show me and said I have given him only $10!! I knew I had only one $100 bill which I gave it to him, but I had nothing to argue after a long tired journey!!
Who was the driver ? Was he a mexican or a native american ?

I especially avoid Non American driver Taxis given the time and leisure.
Old 26th September 2011, 09:35   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Who was the driver ? Was he a mexican or a native american ?

I especially avoid Non American driver Taxis given the time and leisure.
I thought all are immigrants! Just kidding...

Yes, he was mexican, sometimes you run out of times! Anyways, we are getting OT, lets get back to namma bengaluru!

Most Viewed