Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:04   #1051
BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Now without sunfilms, such attackers will be able to plan their prey better. This was the same concern which i had raised on the other thread as well, but then the consensus was that these are rare happenings.
About the "rare happenings", that notion will soon change at-least here in Bangalore, given the rate of mugging incidents. The notion will soon change, when one's dear ones fall at the receiving end of hooliganism, due to lack of privacy.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 13:39   #1052
BHPian

Went to Jail road PS, hopeless situation, the SI asked me the bike number, he knew I will not have that so he say "Sir without other vehicle number how can I make an entry in the GD?"...."We will inform Hosalaya to increase number of rounds in night", thats it. I am keeping an iron rod from today onwards in my car, and changing the route too. I will ask my office logistics leader to lodge a complain with ELCIA, as there is an ELCIA post within 50 mtrs from the spot. In past years I have done so many night drivings but now I feel I could have been a very soft target in those places if some one wanted to.

One funny part was, I used to see the Hosalaya parked under the circular bridge, near Malgudi(E-city) resturant, collecting funds from Transgenders during night.
Old 23rd May 2012, 13:45   #1053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Went to Jail road PS, hopeless situation, the SI asked me the bike number, he knew I will not have that so he say "Sir without other vehicle number how can I make an entry in the GD?"...."We will inform Hosalaya to increase number of rounds in night", thats it...

...One funny part was, I used to see the Hosalaya parked under the circular bridge, near Malgudi(E-city) resturant, collecting funds from Transgenders during night.
Deploying more Hoyasalas would only mean more bribes would be collected in the vicinity. And so hopeless is our situation that we have no other option but to depend on the police at the end of the day.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal, Asdon.

Take care, mate!
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:22   #1054
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am keeping an iron rod from today onwards in my car, and changing the route too.
The iron rod option maybe dangerous. If a situation arise that you have to take it out, quite possible that it may get used back at you (especially since the muggers operate as a group).
I will say the best is to stay alert, and react with presence of mind – like how you did in this instance.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:28   #1055
BHPian

Sad to hear such incidences and there recurring instances. I feel its a part of organised crime and more prominent in Metros and bigger cities. As advised by other members, we need to be more careful and be prepared to face any such incident.
I am going to order my pepper spray can today itself. But it would always be better to escape from the scene, even if it needs to knock the sucker down.. We can always report it to police later on. At times, we should use the horse power of our car for a good cause!
From now on:
  • Windows rolled up at all times, doors locked at all times.
  • No help extended to strangers,if that needs me to get out of car or roll down the windows. Sounds rude, but thats the way it is.
  • BE alert while driving on road. These muggers are looking out for those who already have diverted attention.
  • A can of pepper spray, a must have.

I am thinking, what else could be done.
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:38   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The iron rod option maybe dangerous. If a situation arise that you have to take it out, quite possible that it may get used back at you (especially since the muggers operate as a group).
I will say the best is to stay alert, and react with presence of mind – like how you did in this instance.
Well the use of iron rod will be judgemental, if at all required, I can take on 2, but thats after trying other options like proper use of my car's BHP, trying to escape etc. I used to be alert on populated roads, now it has to be reversed and I am going to remember the sudden cut the bike took, for a long time.
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:52   #1057
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will ask my office logistics leader to lodge a complain with ELCIA, as there is an ELCIA post within 50 mtrs from the spot. In past years I have done so many night drivings but now I feel I could have been a very soft target in those places if some one wanted to.

One funny part was, I used to see the Hosalaya parked under the circular bridge, near Malgudi(E-city) resturant, collecting funds from Transgenders during night.
There's an ELCIA post next to SBI there but what on goes there god only knows.

Just yesterday I saw the transgenders emerging from behind the bushes when I was leaving office for home.

I avoid the the circular bridge at night by car as my office guys have told of robbing and transgenders harrasing them when they walk back home.

By the way my office is next door at Semicon Park.
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:28   #1058
Distinguished - BHPian

@Avijit, feel bad to hear about this ..
Quote:
...."We will inform Hosalaya to increase number of rounds in night", thats it.
And our ACP Traffic goes on air and says that Bangalore is safe for women drivers also !!
Old 24th May 2012, 01:20   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this instance,
Good that you did not stop and avoided them, but seeing my car damaged and side view mirror broken, I generally get my adrenaline pumping and stop the car, not me but many folks may do this.

Do you still have inspector Rjaesh's number with you! I remember when we met last on this we decided to keep a speed dial with this inspector, a couple cheeta guys and closeby bhpians. If you think this is getting more common, lets meet up once and take this to the area police station nearby.
Old 24th May 2012, 02:13   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Sunfilms are uselful in preventing oneself from appearing as a sitting duck for such attacks - in this case the element of surprise was always on our side. Now without sunfilms, such attackers will be able to plan their prey better. This was the same concern which i had raised on the other thread as well, but then the consensus was that these are rare happenings.
totally agree. Especially for woman drivers, without sunfilm driving is more dangerous now.

Is there a way we can fit cameras in car (front and back) so that they can keep recording the movements/activities around the car.(like we see those american accident or funny videos etc). At least we will have some hope to identify these thieves. Like they used to show an IDEA AD where in a youtube video used as proof. I am not telling that that can be used as proof but definitely can be uploaded to youtube and can be shared on to say BTP FB page. One cant underestimate the power of social networking. You will never know cops might be forced to take some action and trace down the culprits if more people start sharing commenting on the video.
recshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 08:16   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Sorry to hear about this instance,
Good that you did not stop and avoided them, but seeing my car damaged and side view mirror broken, I generally get my adrenaline pumping and stop the car, not me but many folks may do this.

Do you still have inspector Rjaesh's number with you! I remember when we met last on this we decided to keep a speed dial with this inspector, a couple cheeta guys and closeby bhpians. If you think this is getting more common, lets meet up once and take this to the area police station nearby.
Yes, I spoke with Rajesh, but he reply was in the same line, and one more information he gave like in Electronic City area there are no Cheetah Squads, for normal policing but only for traffic dept, and that too in consultation with ELCIA & CISF unit. But as far as I have seen ELCIA & CISF mostly roam arround phase-I, phase-II is a step child for them and after 9pm phase-II is a deserted place.

Regarding stoping the car, I would have turned back to them but I was carrying my office laptop, I can not risk that for my blood rush.
Old 24th May 2012, 08:41   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Is there a way we can fit cameras in car (front and back) so that they can keep recording the movements/activities around the car.(like we see those american accident or funny videos etc). At least we will have some hope to identify these thieves.
I've considered the same too! It can be a really good tool to track the goons later! Maybe someone like ironhawk can throw some light on it! (I am pretty sure he uses something like that, given the number of shots he has uploaded on the forum!)
Old 24th May 2012, 08:46   #1063
Distinguished - BHPian

Such cameras are available in the US (and possibly other countries too).

http://www.amazon.com/SainSpeed-Micr...=pd_sbs_auto_1
Amazon.com: Digital Dash Camera: Automotive

But question is: will this be accepted as evidence ?
Old 24th May 2012, 08:58   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
But question is: will this be accepted as evidence ?
In most countries, a still can be used as evidence but not video. But, in our case, it helps prod the police to prosecute the captured (on film) bike/people! I wouldn't go around doctoring tapes to get an unknown person in trouble, would I?
Old 24th May 2012, 11:05   #1065
Senior - BHPian

I guess we have those products avaialble in India as well, the other day I was looking for it on the same website where some other security / surveillance products. HVK uses one I guess (for the different purpose though), he or other users may throw some light on similar products.
DASH CAMERA FOR CAR IN DELHI, CAR DASH CAMERA IN INDIA, CAR SECURITY CAMERA DELHI, CAR SECURITY VIDEO RECORDER INDIA, WWW.spycameradealerindelhi.net

Most Viewed