Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2012, 12:02   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Just wondering friends, any place where one can buy a Taser? A Taser as you know is a law enforcement device in the US, which releases a non lethal bolt of electricity (upto 50000 volts), when fired upon the suspect, incapacitating him for upto 30 mins, not to mention leave him in terrible pain.

The Taser is operated by its own batteries, not sure if its rechargable or not. A taser on the groin of such goons should make them give up robbing for good. Also it is a beautiful tool for a quick hit and run.
Old 25th August 2012, 19:15   #1097
BHPian

Guys. What kind of cars are generally being targetted here ?? I am pretty sure out of state cars are more vulnerable. Its sad to note bangalore has become pretty unsafe to live.
Old 25th August 2012, 21:12   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow
Just wondering friends, any place where one can buy a Taser? A Taser as you know is a law enforcement device in the US, which releases a non lethal bolt of electricity (upto 50000 volts), when fired upon the suspect, incapacitating him for upto 30 mins, not to mention leave him in terrible pain.
No i dont think its allowed outside the US. It comes in two varieties- the gun variety and the other is the one you're talking of.

The taser gun is only for use by law enforcement in the States and the other one is for personal protection. It cannot even be shipped to other countries afaik. Please let us know if its otherwise.
Old 25th August 2012, 22:29   #1099
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow

The Taser is operated by its own batteries, not sure if its rechargable or not. A taser on the groin of such goons should make them give up robbing for good. Also it is a beautiful tool for a quick hit and run.
If we can use it against a would be aggressor, then what prevents those would be aggressors from equipping themselves with similar Tasers?
What is sauce for the goose is certainly sauce for the gander.

I don't think that we, as a society, are mature enough to handle such instruments of power and aggression.
In this country it is more likely o get misused than anything else.

Better to stick with the pepper spay type defence equipment.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 10:04   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Reading the news(link not working now), it seems mugging is not the motive. The college students went for a trip to celebrate their friend's birthday, there were 2 girls and they were molested and the guys were beat up.

The points to note here:

1) Public apathy. All our regional movies portray a hero as someone who comes and beats up rowdy elements, but still that is no motivation.

2) Religious polarization. If the attackers belong to one religion, then the other religious elements try to show their display of strength.

3) Our law enforcing authorities try to play the please-all strategy: arrest people from both the sides and gloat at their policing skills.

What is worrying is, these sort of tensions were confined to specific troublesome areas and this culture is spreading everywhere.

I know i went off-topic right from the beginning, this is just my take on the incident.
Old 26th August 2012, 17:52   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Sad to hear this. Such incidents seem to be on the rise here.
If you dont mind sharing can you tell us what time of the day did this happen? These guys must have been following from the toll gates area targeting cars with single or two occupants.
Thank God your dad escaped without any damages.

P.s do you've an out of state registration?

Thanks for alerting us.
This incident happened at around 9.30-9-45.

Ours is a KA registered car.
Old 28th August 2012, 10:10   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
Those idiots didn't knew who they are gonna deal with, with fury I got down my car with a HOCKEY Stick (which I always keep along with one security baton too in my car) and without a second thought, I bashed the guy, by seeing this, another biker sped like hell leaving his buddy behind.

No remorse. As, I had not beaten the mugger to bled. But, consciously used it on his thighs and lover calf muscles. (consciously? at such flip sec? I am a black belt in martial arts, hence we know how and where. I mentioned this, to avoid comments from our community sympathizers who feel pity towards the guy I had beaten and curse me for being violent towards a poor thing)

Since, then I am more confident in handling such muggers, with required tools at my disposal when in such dire consequences.

You my friend deserve a reward !!! if we have an appetite for violence and willing to strike first - hard & ruthless we should do that. We don't live in a civilized society any longer and we have to adapt ! The have-nots (does not matter if it is Bangalore or Delhi or Chennai) are going after easy money & the very thing which makes us weak is our inability to defend our selves with attack. Though I personally may try to disappear from the scene, it is nice to know somebody got a taste of his own medicine.
vshetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 21:58   #1103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshetty View Post
You my friend deserve a reward !!! if we have an appetite for violence and willing to strike first - hard & ruthless we should do that. We don't live in a civilized society any longer and we have to adapt ! The have-nots (does not matter if it is Bangalore or Delhi or Chennai) are going after easy money & the very thing which makes us weak is our inability to defend our selves with attack. Though I personally may try to disappear from the scene, it is nice to know somebody got a taste of his own medicine.
At the risk of sounding like a nanny and almost too politically correct, I have to say that I will definitely not encourage violence.

I have myself expressed my psychotic intent to bludgeon these low-lives - on several threads in this forum - and sometimes, rage gets the better of me. But let's stop and think for a minute. Are we really prepared like kicksperliter was when he was faced with such a situation? Remember, he's had formal training and was quick to think and act. Only a handful of people are capable of that when challenged by goons who don't have much to lose.

So before we get ahead ourselves, let's remember to stop and collect our thoughts lest we do something hasty and put our lives on the line.
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 06:16   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
At the risk of sounding like a nanny and almost too politically correct, I have to say that I will definitely not encourage violence.
And the story continues.No one takes a stand and muggers make it their occupation.One stop, huge payback and no taxes.

Sometimes being Strong isn't a choice... Its the only option
Alter_Ego is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 08:46   #1105
Senior - BHPian

What Suhaas says makes sense and people should heed to it - unless you're trained in self-defence (or something similar), do not attempt a physical confrontation. It can backfire badly.

Sure, there is that adrenaline rush and an urge to get physical, but remember - never take a knife to a gun fight. Your safety is of utmost importance to your loved ones, not proving who's the bada$$ to a low life. Live to fight another day!
IronH4WK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 09:55   #1106
BHPian

Ok I am keeping a hockey stick or a piece of lead pipe in my car from now on!
Old 29th August 2012, 10:32   #1107
BHPian

Just got word that my friend was mugged in Koramangala, near some Rendezvous restaurant. Early morning as he was returning from gym.

Looks like they are targetting non-Kannada speaking people.

I am getting in touch with the local politicians to put pressure on the cops to act. Thats the only way now.

Mod Note: Profanity directly or indirectly will not be tolerated on the forum. Repeat will attract infraction !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th August 2012 at 11:18.
Old 29th August 2012, 13:56   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Forget Mugging in the night, this happened in full public view, in broad daylight. We are simply descending into barbaric nation. I fear for the future here :-( .
It has always been like this. It's just that news spreads faster these days due to better communication devices. During our college days in the 90s in Bangalore, we faced 2 incidents like this. On both occasions girls were also part of the group. Once in Nandi Hills we were at the receiving end and the second time when it happened again near Big banyan tree, we stood up to goons and they retreated. All these tourist spots are safe only on weekends or holidays when there are crowds. On all other days it's always a risk.

Last edited by Daewood : 29th August 2012 at 13:57.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 06:39   #1109
BHPian

We faced similar incidents in Nandi hills on last tuesday. There was a drunk (?) boy harassing others, demanding money. Although I did not notice anything specific to girls, there were other group of people out there, and we did not feel it safe. Yes, Nandi hills may be safe only in weekends.
Old 30th August 2012, 11:36   #1110
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
Guys. What kind of cars are generally being targetted here ?? I am pretty sure out of state cars are more vulnerable. Its sad to note bangalore has become pretty unsafe to live.
It is not a question of what kind of cars are targeted, most of victims are Locals few outsiders, but target can be anyone on the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Ok I am keeping a hockey stick or a piece of lead pipe in my car from now on!
Keeping Hockey stick, baseball bat, snooker pool cue can be helpful, but with these weapons, comes a greater responsibility too. With the tool in hand and mind in furious state, you have all chances of loosing grip/control over your mind and you might land a blow on the head or other sensitive areas of human being, which might also cause death at times.

Hence, be responsible with such weapons at ur disposal

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2012 at 13:27. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks